Looking for a DAC

Hi ya all,

I'm starting to look around for a DAC and not really knowing much about them thought I'd ask for some advice. 

I use AKG 701 headphones and I've pretty much decided on a Woo Audio WA2 headphone/preamp. But I'm now looking for a DAC to go with it. I really liked the Rega when I heard it but they were using a Audiophilleo 2 + Pure Power on it, well at a extra $1000 that counted that out. 

I was thinking of a MF M1 DAC but never heard one. Any others in the $600-900 range that would sound similar to the Rega, I heard the Bitfrost and Burson, not a fan of either, to sterile. I want to listen to music not hear the mouse fart in the corner on the recording.

Don't know how to describe the sound I like but I've been a bass player for 25 years and still love the tube sound of bass amps, I love the fireplace, scotch in hand and listening to some nice jazz tunes.

If nothing else sounds analogue for the money like the Rega did then I'll have to work out a way of doing it but prefer not to have to use a $1000 convertor

Thanks

Keith

Edited by keitha

Mostly ripped CD's though my Mac using Audirvana, I have purchased Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" from HDTracks and used it to try the Rega with. Hearing the slide of the brush across the snare with the other brush swirling was a revelation so I will probably buy more HD Tracks once the DAC is sorted. 

All CD's are ripped lossless

Mostly ripped CD's though my Mac using Audirvana, I have purchased Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" from HDTracks and used it to try the Rega with. Hearing the slide of the brush across the snare with the other brush swirling was a revelation so I will probably buy more HD Tracks once the DAC is sorted. 

All CD's are ripped lossless

sorry for slight OT - but what did you download its as - 96/24, or 192/24?

Thanks for the replies. I've heard about the Woo WA7 but it's just a Dac/Headphone Amp, so doesn't suit what I want it for, although it looks nice.

Will check out the Audiogd and Nufource as well.

Have found a Rega and MF M1 for about the same price, both used. The Woo has that Tube warmth so even a more open detailed sac would be fine with it.

Blows the socks off the Rega in terms of natural timbre and tone.

yeah the gd does have a lovely tone - but didn't do it for me PRAT wise, where the Rega does.

PS - what gives Pete? Selling your entire digital front-end soon? After your long journey to digital nirvana?!!

Edited by Juicester
PS - what gives Pete? Selling your entire digital front-end soon? After your long journey to digital nirvana?!!

A chance in circumstances and priorities means that I'll be downgrading/simplifying. Plenty of opportunity to reconstruct a decent system once our new house is built. :)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Juicester" data-cid="827969" data-time="1358210893"><p>

yeah the gd does have a lovely tone - but didn't do it for me PRAT wise, where the Rega does.<br />

<br />

Imo you get betterPRAT if you run the DSP1 in NOS mode. I feel that the 8x oversampling smooths out the sound too much..

Who sells thew Metrum Dac

You pretty much have to buy it direct. It has a reputation as a giant killer, but I didn't suggest it as I think it was important you listened to it as you are after a particular sound. It's very popular paired with neutral, solid state amps but, again, that wasn't what you were looking for.

Here's something that no one has mention but worth considering:

http://rossmartinaudio.com/

From your original post I recall someone with one of these days compared favourable in SQ with the Metrum. For the price it's a bargain. My 1st dac was based on the PCM 1798 which is a lower spec version of this, I. Paid $69US for it without case, it inspired me to get higher price DACs! Note the other version chip is also used in the 1st Burson dac.

I saw your post but now I have to save again, if you still happen to have it in two weeks let me know, I'll have the money by then ;) Whats the Audio GD DI do for it?

Will do. the Audio GD DI is a reclocker - from my understanding it reduces jitter. All I know, is that it makes it sound even nicer :). Sure, let me know mate. I'm happy to sell the Rega with the Audio GD DI if you like.

I have a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC sitting around that I've got no use for and was thinking of putting up in the classifieds in the near future. It's an older design (first released c. 2003 I think?) but it's a very sweet, natural sounding and well built DAC. I think these retailed for quite a few thousand back in their day but I'd be asking for a price squarely within your price range - they seem to sell quite regularly on Audiogon for around US$700-900. I'm in Melbourne (Elsternwick), you're welcome to have a listen if interested.

Cheers,

Andreas