Questionable PC servicing

Monkeyboi

Late last year I dropped my laptop off for a warranty repair / problem investigation.

The 3G modem was dropping the connection and wouldn't reconnect without a reboot of the machine.  Very annoying.  So after putting up with the problem for a few weeks I dropped it back to the dealer from whom I purchased the laptop for warranty repair.  That was the afternoon of 18th December 2012.

Weeks went by and I had not received a call advising me that either the machine had been repaired or they had determined the problem and were awaiting parts so I decided to drop via their service department and check on the status of play.   I was handed back my laptop and was told they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Today I turned it on and checked to see if the problem was still present.  No surprises it is still dropping the 3G connection and now the Bluetooth is playing up. :(    That was pretty disappointing but I was really annoyed when I checked my login / useage with my 3G service provider.  The log is a shown below -

Type               Date          Time          Number          Rate          MB                  Charged

Data/GPRS   12 Jan         0:40          Data/GPRS    Offpeak     50.008            $0.00 spacer.gifspacer.gif

Data/GPRS   12 Jan         0:13          Data/GPRS    Offpeak       0.763            $0.00   <--- my first use after picking up from repair

Data/GPRS   18 Dec        0:13          Data/GPRS     Peak         41.102            $0.00   <--- my last use before dropping off for repair

Data/GPRS   17 Dec      13:19          Data/GPRS     Peak           0.021            $0.00

As you can see there are two significant logins.  The last one I used prior to dropping the laptop in for repair (shown in green) on 18th December 2012 at 10:13AM.   The next one is after I got the laptop back (picked it up on 11th January 2013) on 12 January 2013 at 0:13AM shown in red.  So I'm wondering how they tested the 3G connection if they never logged on to the 3G network?

The question I'm asking is what were they doing with my laptop for all those weeks?  Me thinks they were providing lip service only. :mad:    

Cheers,

Alan R.

Edited by Monkeyboi

Some shops are like that.

What brand?

Check with the manufacturer for service/repair through them.

Edit:But you need to rule out any possibility of it being a software issue first.

Edited by datafone

If It's not at the provider end, it can be a software (settings, corrupt driver file, conflict ect') or hardware.

Most troubleshooting is a process of elimination.

Dumb question, but how can you check whether they used the 3G modem by logging in to your provider?

The 3G modem is in-built into the laptop. They didn't need a password or login to use the service. The 3G connection is invoked from a Windows task bar icon. The provider has a secure password login for the account holder (i.e. me) to see account information, access times, downloaded data usage etc only, not to use the connection from the laptop.

They didn't access the 3G service all the time the laptop was in their service centre. So it makes me wonder if how they could have tested it to determine it didn't fail?

Cheers,

Alan R.

Edited by Monkeyboi
Some shops are like that.

What brand?

Toshiba (R830) which isn't a cheapie.

Check with the manufacturer for service/repair through them.

Edit:But you need to rule out any possibility of it being a software issue first.

Latest BIOS version in use, latest 3G modem drivers installed from the Toshiba support website. Windows can't detect any problems. I didn't need to leave the machine with the service centre for weeks to know that.

Cheers,

Alan R.

The 3G modem is in-built into the laptop. They didn't need a password or login to use the service. The 3G connection is invoked from a Windows task bar icon. The provider has a secure password login for the account holder (i.e. me) to see account information, access times, downloaded data usage etc only, not to use the connection from the laptop.

They didn't access the 3G service all the time the laptop was in their service centre. So it makes me wonder if how they could have tested it to determine it didn't fail?

Cheers,

Alan R.

Its obvious they have not tested it under your 3G account.

It is possible that they may have had a "test" SIM card in the workshop and swapped yours out to do connectivity tests.

As mentioned earlier fault finding is a process of elimination ... and if it was done properly it would have included the swapping of your SIM card with another to confirm your SIM card wasnt faulty.

However there should have also been testing done under your 3G account as well ... so it looks like they have done a half arsed job at best.

I would go back to them and present your evidence that your account was not used for testing.

And ask for details of what they did do in those few weeks and how they can confirm no fault was found if they did not use your 3G service.

Good Luck.

Alan S.

I could be wrong but multiple problems usually suggest that the logic board is failing.

Mac's have been having a lot of problems relating to their logic boards so much so that a class action has been launched in the US.

Laptops work on the same principle one board which everything plugs into now depending on who actually manufactures your laptop they could be the same as the Mac manufacturers who have been installing these faulty logic boards.

Like I said I could be wrong but this is something you should consider.

If it's under warranty push for a replacement.

Logic board is the name apple use for it.....motherboard, mainboard ect' all are appropriate, and all computers have one, even desktops.

It could very well be a dodgy motherboard as the questionable component is integrated into it, mate had a TOTL Toshiba laptop (Qosmio?) and went through three mainboards until the warranty ran out.