Help identifying KEF 3-way Speakers????

Hello everyone,

So i have stumbled accross some KEF speakers and I was wondering if anyone recognizes them.

I believe I have seen them before but the model eludes me.

Box size 940h x 440d x 470w

Photos are attached below.

At first I believed they were concerto but I have seen so many variations I have no idea. They have the original KEF QA tags and model numbers on drivers.

Drivers SP1003, SP1032 (T27), and SP1044.

Data sheets on these are at http://www.kef.com/html/en/explore/about_kef/kef_drive_units/index.html

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! thank you very much.

I appologise about the horrible photos, some are distorted in size, these are all the person selling them has given me.

Wondering what would be a decent price to pay for these. $300? $400?

I owned a pair of KEF 2way bookshelf speakers a number of years ago and I recall they were immaculate condition and I sold them for $300 but they sounded absolutely amazing even on my Cambridge Audio A1 Integrated amplifier.

Could these have been custom speaker enclosures with a kit that included all the kef drivers and crossover?

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/KEFDocuments/KEFGermanGallery/pages/p32.htm

This is also has all the exact drivers 

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/KEFDocuments/KEFGermanGallery/pages/p14.htm

post-104628-0-06621900-1357963601_thumb.

post-104628-0-33780100-1357963623_thumb.

post-104628-0-28998600-1357963634_thumb.

post-104628-0-90088900-1357964006_thumb.

Edited by blackfox
Hello everyone,

So i have stumbled accross some KEF speakers and I was wondering if anyone recognizes them.

I believe I have seen them before but the model eludes me.

Photos are attached below.

At first I believed they were concerto but I have seen so many variations I have no idea. They have the original KEF QA tags and model numbers on drivers.

Drivers SP1003, SP1032 (T27), and SP1044.

Data sheets on these are at http://www.kef.com/html/en/explore/about_kef/kef_drive_units/index.html

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! thank you very much.

I appologise about the horrible photos, some are distorted in size, these are all the person selling them has given me.

Wondering what would be a decent price to pay for these. $300? $400?

I owned a pair of KEF 2way bookshelf speakers a number of years ago and I recall they were immaculate condition and I sold them for $300 but they sounded absolutely amazing even on my Cambridge Audio A1 Integrated amplifier.

They're not an official KEF model. They use the same components and crossover as the KEF Concerto, but housed in a second generation Baily Transmission Line. If built properly, using sheep's wool (not synthetic crap) and after dumping the KEF crossover for a Radford unit, they sound damned good. A few things:

* You MUST re-build or dump the crossover. It is a shocker.

* The tweeter is long past it, in terms of really good performance.

* Bass is brilliant. Clean, flat and extended (down to 20Hz).

* For really good mid performance, you need to transmission line load the mids as well (a 125mm hole all the way through the box - beware, there is a complicated internal baffle to deal with.

For a few hundred Backs, they make an excellent loudspeaker, but you need to spend a few more to bring them up to snuff.

I kept mine for more than a decade. Which is a bit of a record for me. Fabulous old speakers. I built mine in 1974 from an article published in the May 1972 issue of Wireless World (which I still have somewhere). They were the second pair of speakers that I built. I later learned about constrained layer construction, by accident, when I covered them in Formica. Gave them a whole new lease of life.

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

wow thats awesome!

btw I just did find the kit that was published, it's in german tho!

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/KEFDocuments/KEFGermanGallery/pages/p22.htm

Called Durchblick (Transparency)

so would $300 for these be too much for the amount of work required?

You mentioned the tweeter, the t27 isn't up to scratch and should be replaced?

It's as ZB says:-" The Transmission-line Loudspeaker Enclosure" by A.R.Bailey,published in Wireless World,May 1972.There are much better tweeters and midranges available today although it is a challenge to fit  them to the existing cabinet and also it will require new crossover designs.The B139  would be the best part of the purchase,however you need to be aware that condition is important as  spares are no longer available. $300 is a reasonable price but you will have to factor in how much extra will be needed  if  you wish to bring them up to their original standard and  even more if you want to improve on  them.

wow thats awesome!

btw I just did find the kit that was published, it's in german tho!

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/KEFDocuments/KEFGermanGallery/pages/p22.htm

Called Durchblick (Transparency)

so would $300 for these be too much for the amount of work required?

You mentioned the tweeter, the t27 isn't up to scratch and should be replaced?

If everything works, then 300 Bucks is probably a good price, given you won't need to do any cabinet work. You MUST attend to the crossover. At the very least, the caps should be replaced and the inductors replaced. For a $300.00 speaker, the tweeters are fine. They're no longer SOTA, but they're not horrible either. Bass drivers can easily be repaired, if required (I damaged mine using my 300 Watt/channel Marantz Model 500 at a party). Mids are indestructible. Replacing any of the drivers with different units will require substantial crossover changes and is not something I would suggest for a novice. I'd reckon you should allow about $200.00 to re-built the crossovers to the Radford standard, or less, if you just update the KEF ones. The Radford crossovers (I used them in my T-Lines) were very special, as they addressed the termination resonance problems inherent to the early B110 (midrange) drivers. I have a hand drawn schematic somewhere. You are welcome to a copy if you wish.

Your German reference is a copy of the WW article. You can see what is inside the box from the pictures. The internal baffles form a long, folded tube. The triangular cross-section is a very clever design feature, which reduces resonance problems.

Hi blackfox,

I built two versions of the Kef TL that you have, the first around 1973 and as Zaph says, they were classed as an energy absorbing column and the primary design and ideas came from A.R. Bailey. I used Kef Concerto drivers, but you are well advised to work on the crossover and I think I could probably still find the schematics if you need them.

My second build using the same drivers was in around 1976 and I moved the B139 to the top of the enclosure and the folded column was also different to the enclosures you have there. I still have the paper on this design/adaptation which was written by A.H.M. Hytch back in 1974. I can scan and send it to you if you're interested.

These are very good loudspeakers and I had them as my main speakers well into the '80s................I think you'll enjoy them a lot.

Cheers,

Keith

I owned A set of Krix DN 12's  basically a Krix modded Kef Concerto [same drivers as yours] with improved crossover & cabinet.. Anyway getting to the point of what might help you. I added neodymium backing magnets[ yes the Jaycar ones] 1 to each of the drivers scalloped the back of the hole for the carefully doped the B110 smoothing their slight mid shout, rewired the cabinet with Swedish supra cable & replaced all the electrolytic caps with polypropylene caps. Re-laquered the cabinets & re-stuffed them.tuning by ear. The result? Fantastic I always regret selling them. They would do what few speakers I have ever owned did, create what I call a ghost image of an artist especially female singers.Close your eyes and you would swear someone was there. My long winded point is this the magnets and the right crossover are the keys that can open the door to musical heaven with the original speakers As mentioned before IF they are still OK. Just don't expect efficiency or super loud as that tends to kill the tweeters.I can concur the advice you have already been given is right on the money

post-138297-0-81465200-1358258176_thumb.

post-138297-0-29749300-1358259805_thumb.

post-138297-0-51911400-1358259857_thumb.

To Top