Alternative to SBT

So my SB Touch died during our house moving. Somewhere in my eagerness Ive plugged in the wrong power adapter and fried something. Tried with a brand new power adapter toady and its still dead in the water. I can see the optical output lightup by the screen is not responsive

My question is, whats the best way to get my HD music into my system? What are the alternatives now the the Squeezebox is discontinued?

It basically needs to do all the things that the Squeezebox did

- viewing screen on the device

- controllable from iphone/pc/direct

- ability to play HD songs (24/96 at minimum)

The Sonos ticks all but the top one. And i really want that ability, i dont want to have the TV or iPhone as the main GUI

What is out there people?

hmmm,

Touches are a bit rare these days, they seem to get snaggled up pretty quickly

I dont mind the Virtual Squeezebox idea

Ill have to think of the best way to do this. I also have a mini PC sitting right there doing nothing, would be the most obvious solution - however i dont want to power that up all the time as its not the most reliable beast

You may have to give up 96 capability, but the Sonos is a great choice. Most people use Sonos worldwide. Both devices need reclocking IMO. Most of my customers reclock either one. The Sonos is actually more fun to use than iTunes, but the Sonos also has higher jitter of the two, so it benefits from a reclocker even more.

Steve N.

OK so for all that are interested

What i ended up doing was using an old Dell Zino as the basis. I have Foobar2K loaded on this with ASIO out via USB to the PS Audio DLIII (this is temporary while i wait for a USB/SPDIF interface)

I have Foobar acting as a Renderer using the uPnP componant. To control via ipod etc i have a neat little program called eLyric. This acts as the interface to Foobar being the Renderer. The app is $10 but well worth it, it even allows for control of a SB. eLyric also has a software GUI on the PC which i can also use fully as a stand alone media server bypassing Foobar.

The problem with bypassing foobar is the ASIO output and eLyric not acting as a renderer for control via the Ipod

So now instead of turning on the pc to wake up the Squeezebox Server i turn on the PC and control the whole media player with the Ipod or the hot keys on the keyboard, or added media remote.

Dell Zino runs dead quiet, it was originally designed as a HTPC but the graphics card isnt up to HD playback so it has sat dormant for awhile. Upgrades to this are a SPDIF Interface and possible SSD main drive for the Zino

Intergrated graphics from what i remember when i ordered it. So no. I think chaning to SSD will be a task in itself

If i want to stream movies ill use Media Centre through the X360. Im going to use the PC purely for music and do away with the SB

Hooked up my Musiland MD01 SPDIF interface to get some of that HD msuic out. Sounds so much better than the USB input

Damn Steve, if you dont get it than i doubt many people will

Basically im using Foobar as you use the physical Squeezebox, then im using eLyric as you you iPeng or SlimServer to control it

Thanks Nathan

My mate just did a search for an SBT and found quite a few hits, then went and treated himself for his birthday, they are out there R&R if'n you still want one mate, average price seems to be about $360 now so they have gone up in price but that's to be expected as the final units are snapped up.

I really should buy a spare myself...

Not really interested in the SBT anymore, my current option allows 24/192 and I have to have the PC booted up anyway to run the SB

Will try disconnecting the aerials on the touch though, might be a good option for the other system

SBT allows 192/24 too...   and of course you only need a NAS - not a PC...  ;)

But i would be looking at $360 for the replacement Touch and at least $300 for a decent NAS.

Cost me $10 for the app to do it currently

No doubt the Touch is great, but the fact is its broken and they dont have a reasonably priced replacment option, I have to improvise

I havent tried opening the Touch yet, couldnt find my little kit with the Torx driver in it