Sound mode for plain ol' TV?

Just got an AVR (Sony 5300ES); the first one I've ever owned, so I'm having great fun playing with it! 

I'm just wondering what sound mode (soundfield? soundfield mode?) people use with two channel sources to make them multichannel. Presently I'm using 

Pro LogicIIx Movie, because it gives me something out of the centre speaker. I've also used something oxymoronically called 'Multichannel Stereo', but it isn't as good. 

Any thoughts on the contenders?

Most movies on telly with 2 channel audio are encoded in Dolby Surround aka Dolby Stereo. You can use as you discovered Dolby ProLogic to extract the matrixed centre and mono surround channels from it. DPL II on new movies provide a stereo ish surround while IIx extracts 7 channels.

That's how old LDs prior to AC3 modulation worked. And it works pretty well.

I've even applied Audyssey DSX and DPLIIx to a stereo track to get 11 channels :)

• Like 1
Most movies on telly with 2 channel audio are encoded in Dolby Surround aka Dolby Stereo. You can use as you discovered Dolby ProLogic to extract the matrixed centre and mono surround channels from it. DPL II on new movies provide a stereo ish surround while IIx extracts 7 channels.

Ah, well that would make sense then - thank you. 

When I first bought my Marantz AVR (around 10 years ago now), I remember having some fun playing around with all the various sound modes. Pretty soon, though, I got over the 'new toy syndrome', and now rarely use any of the sound modes. If its broadcast in stereo, then generally that's the way I play it. Very rarely, I might switch some stereo broadcasts through pro-logic II, but hardly ever really.

• 3 weeks later...