Best type of cable for Lowthers and Valves?

SteveLuck

Hi Gents 

I had the misfortune or fortune depending how you look at it of knocking over one of my speakers.  No damage done to the speaker but lots of bent munted banana plugs.  So i thought id try hooking up the spare heavy gauge multistrand silver plated stuff i'd bought to connect the drivers to the terminals.  It sounded terrible like listening through ear defenders. 

I've gone back choped the banana plugs off and split the flat ribbon bi wire Chord legend cable (four strands solid copper for the trebble about seven for bass) replaced the internal silver stuff and it sounds great.

I'll still need cable to get the subs working  so it seems thin skiny solid core stuff works well with Lowthers but i dont realy have long enough lengths,  Chord Legend is out of production so I need some recommendations.  $500 dollar for a 4M biwire set up  or single wire with a 1m jumper using the high pass on the subs.  Nordost flat?  Anti Cable?

I need to ensure if i ever knock a speaker over again it has enough slack that it doesn't try to throw my amp across the room with it.

post-133084-0-68971800-1357890244_thumb.

You are dead right. Really high sensitivity full range speakers sound better with smaller gauge solid core. My feeling is that they don't demand the current, and hence don't need the large gauge wire. All of the Audioquest range will and does work great with your type of speaker. They are all solid core and the Bi-Wire cables are unique in the way they are made. Can't recommend them highly enough for your speakers.

Edited by Toma Audio

Why not have a try of some different types before you commit to something long term. 1mm solid core is cheap from bunnings. And cat5 is also cheap for smaller gauges or multiple smaller gauge. Even computer ribbon or copper foil can be had simply and relatively cheap. It will give you an idea of what will work best with minimal outlay. The only downside is finding the time.

Hi Bryan

The letters and recommendations on the Anti Cable site are pretty glowing and there's no shortage of them.  In a way full range drivers, horns and valve amps are Anti Hi-Fi  so they do have  a lot of purchase apeal. There's a lot to be said for simplicity makeing things sound better.

After discussion with Lowther, DX4's where recommended as they were a factory option for the Carfrae Horns whilst they were in production.  I'll post some impressions up on the build thread (under DIY) once the subs are up and running.  So far all the listening has been via the horns which are deliberately short in length (limiting the bass extension) with the bass intended to be backed up by a subwoofer and plate amp in the base of each speaker. 

Pretty mind blowing so far so far.

How about the Aurealis speaker cables on eBay? Hand made in Oz using solid-core Neotech PCOCC. Relatively inexpensive too!

And a SNA member too. Good Choise!

I'm with these guys, I have a pair of Geoff's speaker cables and they are awesome value :)