Should I add Audio-gd DI to my NFB-3?

My 2-channel setup at the moment is:

Denon DCD-435 or Squeezebox Classic | Audio-gd NFB-3 | Bryston Pre | Rotel RB960BX power amp | PSB Image 4T floorstanders

So, hopefully majoring on dynamics and transparency, though I haven't lived with enough different setups to make a firm statement about that.

Anyway, the last component I added was the NFB-3 DAC, and the improvement was considerable. So I'm thinking, how about the Audio-gd Digital interface, then, in my quest for further improvements? 

As I understand it, the DI re-clocks the stream of data from the CD player (or whatever) to eliminate jitter (this from my repeated readings of John Darko's review). 

I'm seeking advice particularly from people who have the NFB-3 and the DI, because I wonder whether what the NFB-3 does with the data is in itself sufficient. 

If I added the DI, what sort of improvements, if any, might I expect?

The older DI-DSP with a low jitter XO added does a great job as a reclocker. From what I've read the latest version (which does not feature the DSP board) is not as good in this application. I think Kingwa will still produce the DSP model if you request it. The external PSU is a must.

The Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh is a step above the DI, but it's also twice the price.

Both of the above units net greater clarity and imaging when added between a low/midrange digital source and your DAC. I remember when I sold my DI. Removing it from my system was a noticeable backwards step. The addition of the Smesh lifted it beyond what it was with the DI.

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 1
The older DI-DSP with a low jitter XO added does a great job as a reclocker. From what I've read the latest version (which does not feature the DSP board) is not as good in this application. I think Kingwa will still produce the DSP model if you request it. The external PSU is a must.

The Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh is a step above the DI, but it's also twice the price.

Both of the above units net greater clarity and imaging when added between a low/midrange digital source and your DAC. I remember when I sold my DI. Removing it from my system was a noticeable backwards step. The addition of the Smesh lifted it beyond what it was with the DI.

Thanks for the heads-up about the DSP board removal (DSP = Digital ____   ______ ?? What does it stand for??). I'll keep that in mind in the increasingly-likely scenario that I buy one. BTW I think I saw your 2nd hand one on the Classifieds board just a little too late. 

Clarity and imaging are Good Things as far as I'm concerned, so .. yeah, it's not even that much money, is it?? 

Really? I think you should try one first Pete ;)

Edited by jof062

Hence why I said ' from what I've read'. My opinion is by no means definitive and I'm not passing off my opinion as gospel. Having said that, Kingwa himself has told someone that he will still build the DSP model for those wanting to recklock, as he apparently considers the reclocking performance of the older model to be superior. It makes sense when you think about it. I can understand how a superior USB chip might negate the need for the DSP board, as reclocking the output from the USB chip is no longer required. However, where does this leave the SPDIF input?

If someone who has owned both wants to provide comment, by all means do so! :)

I may be downscaling my system shortly so I could have a mint Synchro Mesh with an AJ-spec Superteddyreg'd PSU up for grabs. The Smesh is in a different league to the DI IMHO.

Hence why I said ' from what I've read'. My opinion is by no means definitive and I'm not passing off my opinion as gospel. Having said that, Kingwa himself has told someone that he will still build the DSP model for those wanting to recklock, as he apparently considers the reclocking performance of the older model to be superior. It makes sense when you think about it. I can understand how a superior USB chip might negate the need for the DSP board, as reclocking the output from the USB chip is no longer required. However, where does this leave the SPDIF input?

If someone who has owned both wants to provide comment, by all means do so! :)

I may be downscaling my system shortly so I could have a mint Synchro Mesh with an AJ-spec Superteddyreg'd PSU up for grabs. The Smesh is in a different league to the DI IMHO.

So maybe should try one pete. :)

So maybe should try one pete. :)

The Smesh beat my old hot-rodded DI-DSP with Tentlabs XO and hex inverter mods, so in light of Kingwa's recommendation re: which model is the best for reclocking purposes, I think the new version could be fighting an uphill battle! Of course, I haven't heard it, so it's all conjecture at this point in time.

The Smesh beat my old hot-rodded DI-DSP with Tentlabs XO and hex inverter mods, so in light of Kingwa's recommendation re: which model is the best for reclocking purposes, I think the new version could be fighting an uphill battle! Of course, I haven't heard it, so it's all conjecture at this point in time.

Yes it is pete...But :D

Really? I think you should try one first Pete ;)

I have an email from kingwa supporting pete's comment.

The di-dsp performs better on spdif input than the di-v3 (usb32).

He has lots of di-dsp's available,, just got one :-)

20% off, and 10% off the matching PSU..

Ta

CM