Integrating HT and stereo setups ..?

benifex

Hi all, 

I have recently added an AV receiver and centre speaker to an existing 2-channel setup, which is (or was) as follows:

Denon DCD-435 or Squeezebox Classic | Audio-gd NFB-3 | Bryston Pre | Rotel RB960BX power amp | PSB Image 4T floorstanders

I'm going to use the power amp to power the L and R front speakers, via the pre-outs on the receiver. But is there any way to use a switch box or something in between the power amp and the pre-amp / receiver, to keep the Bryston in the chain for music?? Or would that introduce a whole lot of interference? 

My plan B, I guess, is to use the AV receiver as a pre (it's a Sony 5300ES, so prob not totally horrible in Source Direct mode), and stow away the Bryston for the hoped-for time when I can set up a second system. 

You wouldn't be the first person to connect the preout of the AVR to a line input on the preamp. When you set up the AVR, set the volume on your preamp to a easy to remember value ( not too loud) and adjust away. The AVR will compensate to ensure all speakers are EQ'd correctly. Just make sure you set the preamp volume to the correct level whenever you switch it to the input used for the AVR.

• Like 1

I do that.

HT= Denon 4310- Conrad Johnson CT5 ( bypass), CJ CA200 (bypass passiv pre))- front left and right. The receiver does the centre and does a not bad job with my B&W 804s at the rear- it's only HT after all, although concert DVDs sound excellent so no problems there.

I though all modernise amps had a bypass connection/ button.

My biggest problem these days is finding a film worth watching. Why does everything these days have to have a body count. I mean I like a Bond or a Born, but this body count, drug lord pimp massacre I've got a bigger gun than you stuff, give me a break! What is our collective IQ, 3. ( you can tell I just came back from the video store disappointed ). Maybe the problem is our local blockbuster does not do art house or foreign language much anymore, it's all " how dumb can you be" stuff. I like brainless to, but not all the time.

• Like 1

@jel: Crap, can it be that easy?!?! I'll take a look around the back of the preamp. Is it ok if I PM you?

@Briz Vegas: a Topfield PVR with IceTV subscription was one of the best AV buys I've made. At the start of each week I search on movies to see what's on and set thepromising ones to record. Hard drive space is cheap - say 6c for a SD movie, maybe 12c for a HD one. Doesn't take too long to build up a nice backlog of fillums. 

You wouldn't be the first person to connect the preout of the AVR to a line input on the preamp. When you set up the AVR, set the volume on your preamp to a easy to remember value ( not too loud) and adjust away. The AVR will compensate to ensure all speakers are EQ'd correctly. Just make sure you set the preamp volume to the correct level whenever you switch it to the input used for the AVR.

Yep, exactly what I do.

Yep that is what I do. Yamaha Avr pre outs into pre and then into mono blocks. Have to remember what the volume should be on preamp.

O have two line ins on pre so one is used for HT

It is more cumbersome than setups with HT bypass, but works for me.

I was considering lots of setups as I have small kids. To save $ and to save my valve amps they watch movies on avr on only centre and rears - when dad is home they can watch with front channels working too(at least I have some use)

Yes, Well I could sit through 130 minutes of a film character being sliced into 1mm slithers in one of those butchers gadgets while the perp recounts test cricket scores just to show that he does not care, but it ain't entertainment.  Doing it out of revenge does not make it any more entertaining unless you are a Hollywood studio boss or a teenage boy with something to prove.

The rush to the bottom of the nasty depths of the human psyche has been done before and if that's all a film offers it don't offer much.

@jel: Crap, can it be that easy?!?! I'll take a look around the back of the preamp. Is it ok if I PM you?

Happy for you to PM me, but I use a pre with HT bypass.

Yep, exactly what I do.

Yep that is what I do. Yamaha Avr pre outs into pre and then into mono blocks. Have to remember what the volume should be on preamp. O have two line ins on pre so one is used for HT It is more cumbersome than setups with HT bypass, but works for me. I was considering lots of setups as I have small kids. To save $ and to save my valve amps they watch movies on avr on only centre and rears - when dad is home they can watch with front channels working too(at least I have some use)

Jventer & emesbee are doing exactly what you want to do, so they'd be better value for further details.