Not very happy with Rega ATM

ophool

Less than 12 months ago I upgraded my Rega with the 24v motor kit and the TTPSU at some expense.

Today I find the 24v wall wart has died, can find no warranty info in the package and may well be left with having to buy another one, cost as yet unknown.

Not happy Jan  :mad:

It is 24vAC 650ma, I found a regulated, transformer plugpack @ Wagner Electronics, 24vAC 1000ma.

If I make sure to get the proper size plug for it I cannot see why this might not be a good option, unless someone knows differently.

@ $20 I would expect it will prove cheaper than Rega spares and with a bit more grunt in reserve might live longer.

They do say that experience is what you have right after you need it.  :(

For the benefit of anyone contemplating doing this -

DON'T - YOU WILL LET THE MAGIC SMOKE OUT.

It appears to have drawn too much current and cooked the PCB adjacent the power in socket, whether any other damage has been done I do not at present know.

The drive board seems OK and the TT is currently running on the wall plug supplied with the 24v motor with the TTPSU out of circuit (and out of commission).

The back of the TTPSU does say use only with Rega PS1 - I suggest this be taken as gospel.

I think I need drugs  :angry:

Sorry to hear that Ophool.  I guess experience is alway purchased at a price.

Personally, I've always been reluctant to perform upgrades on components myself for exactly this reason.  Fear that I'll break the component rather than upgrade it because I didn't understand what I was doing.

Hope the damage isn't too great.

What do you mean that you can't find warranty info? Just can't find your receipt or not sure if it has any warranty. ? There has to be some warranty and I'd guess at least 12 months. Make a few calls and find out the story before you get too fired up over assumptions. At least you've still got a working TT in the meantime.

Did you buy locally?

I do not think it unreasonable to expect a new product to last longer than 12 months,

I also do not think it unreasonable to expect that a product specified for a particular electrical input should not self immolate when supplied with that input.

I am grateful that the house did not burn down as well and really chuffed with my new paperweight.

Hi ophool,

Did you buy new in OZ? If you did contact the shop as it should be a warranty issue. We do a lot with Rega and the importer is pretty good at backup. PM me if you need a hand to get it sorted. Even if you bought from overseas you can source a 24 volt supply provided it is the correct current rating.

• Like 3

Being AC the polarity is ambivalent, the unit for the TTPSU is rated for 350ma, that for the bare deck rated for 100ma.

In the absence of specific information from Rega and because of the charring to the PCB possibly obscuring a burnt component, I am at a loss as to why a generic PS with ample current reserve and appropriate voltage should cause the apparent short observed, merely on connection of power, (the TTPSU was at no time switched on during this exercise).  I am led to the suspicion that a fault in the TTPSU may have resulted in the demise of the wall plug and that providing it with a less delicate supply resulted in the effects observed.

The kind offer of Geoff of Toma Audio is noted and appreciated.

Mention is also due of the kind offer from another member of a loan replacement unit to alleviate the immediate distress.

Edited by ophool

FWIW, given my lack of electronics expertise, this makes sense and is certainly the hypothesis I'd be going with.  Usually, a more capable power supply will not cause a problem simply because of its greater capacity to provide watts if they are asked for.

Manufacturers are always issuing generic warnings to use only their gear with their gear.  We all know that most of the time this is just general encouragement or a bum-covering exercise and not specific, well-considered advice pertinent to your situation.  Your initial reaction that you did the wrong thing by trying the other PS might still be clouding your thoughts.

As others have said, you bought a component that died within 12 months and, barring exceptional circumstances, the warranty should come to your rescue.  Why not simply pursue that with the vendor? 

Good luck with it - hoping for a happy outcome.

I am led to the suspicion that a fault in the TTPSU may have resulted in the demise of the wall plug and that providing it with a less delicate supply resulted in the effects observed.

Manchu, you appear a man of pragmatic disposition.  Your observations are noted.

Perhaps you could extend that pragmatism to allowing a little tolerance of those somewhat more governed by their emotional response.

Rocky, a good thought and one that had not occurred to me.  It does make sense.

Tony M,  thank you for a balanced summary, having now ridden out the initial gut-wrench shock of smoking the thing, I agree with what you say and will be pursuing the matter with the supplier.

Manchu, you appear a man of pragmatic disposition.  Your observations are noted.

Perhaps you could extend that pragmatism to allowing a little tolerance of those somewhat more governed by their emotional response.

It's easy to be non emotional when it's not my gear I guess , and I'm dealing with pregnant mrs at the moment so it's hard to get out of the "it'll be alright darl" mentality.

Feel free to vent away....darl.