Panasonic UB820 UHD Player Owners Thread

30 minutes ago, Drooch said:

Thanks. 2 channel analogue is terrible in my case because my amp can’t matrix it into surround, but my concern is that the analogues are also much worse than optical for 5.1.

I wonder if I’m missing something? I would have expected analogue 5.1 to be much better than optical 5.1 but the reverse appears to be true 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have tried 5.1 analogue out from my UB9000, same as UB820 and it is decent.  Have not tried optical 5.1 but I am surprised that you are using it because optical inputs are typically 2.0.  Also, check that you have the same loudness (use a free phone app to measure).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

9 minutes ago, Ars Paart said:

I got one a few months back from JB HIfi for not much more than $400. Excellent disc player, although it won't play SACD.  Terrible at everything else - if people manage to snare one don't expect anything like an Oppo.

I assume you are referring to the media playing capabilities?  Yes, it has its limitations on type and format of files but it does a good job.  For example, it can play DSF (ripped SACD) and is a UPnP renderer.  

The UB820 is good at what it does.  Expecting it to match an Oppo 203, at 4 times the price used  is not realistic...

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2021 at 5:06 PM, Quark said:

Videopro currently have the 820 for $440. Free shipping.

I haven't had any issues with it as a media player - some may have very different expectations.

Yes, that was too good an offer to pass by. Mine hasn't arrived yet. I will be interested to see how the video playback compares to the Oppo203. I am only interested in playing video discs with this machine - DVD, Blu Ray and 4K.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2021 at 7:04 PM, Super Mustud said:

Yes, that was too good an offer to pass by. Mine hasn't arrived yet. I will be interested to see how the video playback compares to the Oppo203. I am only interested in playing video discs with this machine - DVD, Blu Ray and 4K.

Well, my UB820 arrived a week ago. I had it made dvd region free at the Panasonic service agent in Moorabin and hooked it up to a Sony A80j. After watching it (when I had time) for a few days I have to say that it is a beaut. Yesterday I did a casual comparison between the Panasonic and an Oppo 203 connected to the same tv. Quite surprised. If anything, my take away is that the Panasonic might be a teensy bit better than the Oppo in avoiding motion jitter, something I am irritatingly sensitive to. That made me so pleased that when I noticed that the UB820 is back on special at $440 I ordered another one. After placing that order I had a look at some more online reviews as I had really only had a quick look when I ordered the first one. I was interested to see that one review made a comment about the UB820 being slightly better at motion processing, so perhaps my rather brief and casual comparison might be more than just an impression. Or perhaps not - in any case, I am delighted.

I think I paid in the low $800's when I bought my two Oppos, just before they were discontinued. The Panasonics are $440 on discount. That seems a great deal for such video quality. Shame that they are so plasticky, but I guess you can always stump up for the UB9000 model - which I have not seen go on special. I hope the Panasonic transports and lasers turn out to be reliable. I was disappointed when my Denon 3910 started playing up recently. I think I will give it to a repairer I use. He can it for spare parts - if he wants it.

The 4K blu rays I tested with were Blade Runner and Total Recall.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hilly1969 said:

Hey Guys i am look at buying and 820 can you tell me if it has a built in tuner and where to get one for 440.00 in melb

They don't have a built in tuner.

You can get one for $440 from Videopro in QLD. Your local JB might price match - Videopro is online and bricks and mortar stores (albeit all in Brisbane).

• 1 month later...

Firstly I love my 820, such great picture & audio quality. 

The rest of my HT is controlled by an IPad, lights, avr, tv, Apple TV.

I would love to integrate the 820 in to network control but I can’t seem to find an app that works with it. 

any lucky out there?

11 hours ago, BenBBB said:

Firstly I love my 820, such great picture & audio quality. 

The rest of my HT is controlled by an IPad, lights, avr, tv, Apple TV.

I would love to integrate the 820 in to network control but I can’t seem to find an app that works with it. 

any lucky out there?

Panasonic did have a IOS App that did this, but support ended for it mid 2020, and it only worked with certain disc players, and apparently from those who used it found it wasn't very good anyway.

https://blogs.panasonic.com.au/consumer/panasonic-apps-a-smarter-way-to-control-your-panasonic-products/

I think the problem with Panasonic gear generally, is that they use open sourced Mozilla software to write the software for their TV's and other equipment.

It works fine when using a Panasonic remote, but it seems integrating it into a IOS App has problems.

Did you do a search for any VEIRA link IOS App?

I think if there is one, it should be able to control your Panasonic disc player.

Edited by Tweaky

• 5 months later...
On 17/12/2021 at 8:40 AM, Super Mustud said:

I had it made dvd region free at the Panasonic service agent in Moorabin

Hi SM,

Which Panasonic agent is this? And was it DVD or both DVD and BD region free?

On 08/07/2022 at 3:04 PM, Cloth Ears said:

Hi SM,

Which Panasonic agent is this? And was it DVD or both DVD and BD region free?

Hi Clothy, it is just for DVD. To get BD region free you have to unfortunately do a firmware or hardware mod from 3rd party suppliers. The Panasonic agent is European Electronics in Moorabin. If your unit is still under warranty then the mod is free. Log a warranty "repair" on the Panasonic website to do a dvd region free and you will get a case number and referral by email almost immediately.

14 hours ago, Super Mustud said:

Hi Clothy, it is just for DVD. To get BD region free you have to unfortunately do a firmware or hardware mod from 3rd party suppliers. The Panasonic agent is European Electronics in Moorabin. If your unit is still under warranty then the mod is free. Log a warranty "repair" on the Panasonic website to do a dvd region free and you will get a case number and referral by email almost immediately.

Thanks SM.

I actually found them and found out the same thing. I already have a nice old Sony for any region DVD's and it works really well with the LG TV. It looks like I'll have to put up with not being able to view the extras on my imported UHD disks (as they all come with BD's from the US. And I'm ordering my BD's either via Australian sites (where they specifically say they are Australian discs) or from OS when they specifically say they are region B/2. The entire Lone Wolf and Cub series is on it's way!!!

21 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

Thanks SM.

I actually found them and found out the same thing. I already have a nice old Sony for any region DVD's and it works really well with the LG TV. It looks like I'll have to put up with not being able to view the extras on my imported UHD disks (as they all come with BD's from the US. And I'm ordering my BD's either via Australian sites (where they specifically say they are Australian discs) or from OS when they specifically say they are region B/2. The entire Lone Wolf and Cub series is on it's way!!!

You could get yours modded

https://www.gattiweb.com/product/panasonic-dp-ub820-multi-region-upgrade-service/24?cp=true&sa=true&sbp=false&q=false

Or get a second player from there?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi folks, looking at getting this player for my HT (tw9440)

I saw pricing this year for mid $400's, but there is nothing on offer currently with the usual suspects?

Any recommendations or awareness of deals going at the moment?

Cheers!

1 hour ago, fil_oz said:

Hi folks, looking at getting this player for my HT (tw9440)

I saw pricing this year for mid $400's, but there is nothing on offer currently with the usual suspects?

Any recommendations or awareness of deals going at the moment?

Cheers!

Best deal I'm aware of at the moment is $575 at Videopro.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks - JB HiFi's ears must have been hot when I posted my message a few weeks back.

This player is now back on offer for $453, just placed my order.

Based on Ozbargains, JB-HiFi discount this unit every 6 months consistently.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/panasonic-dp-ub820-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-with-dolby-vision-and-hdr10-support

• Like 1