Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

It's been almost ten years since the heyday of Pioneer and Panasonic - more than 2000 posts I recall..

Since then there has been a lot more projectors and of course OLED TVs, which have certainly generated a lot of excitement.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've finally had a chance to pen my thoughts down on the A90J: https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2021/07/sony-xr-65a90j-oled-tv-review.html 

Thanks @thathifiguy - I guess the next thing is to get a PVR with a hard-drive !   Cheers.

@betty boop   looking forward to your experience.  I'll be buying something like this next year, so you should have reliable experience by then.  I have no doubt it will be a quality product

Just posting some links to settings for the Z9D:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DHbOHnfinMFLuJCwwf52Lnm-FQ9etqNy8dIKNHlxBk0/edit#gid=0

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-kd-65-75zd9-settings-thread.2057416/

https://www.avforums.com/video/sony-kd-65zd9-best-tv-picture-settings.12935

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2545769-official-sony-xbr-65z9d-owner-s-thread-no-price-talk-please-88.html#post46576609

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-kd-65-75zd9-settings-thread.2057416/

How to check the hours:

1. TV must be in standby mode. (Power off).

2. Press the following buttons on the Remote Control within a second of each other: DISPLAY > Channel 5 > Volume - > POWER. (Make sure to hit Volume- and NOT Volume+.)

The panel hours will be the third number at the bottom left of the screen as illustrated below.

To exit the self-check diagnostic screen, turn off the power to the TV by pressing the POWER button on the remote or the POWER button on the TV.

Some 3D settings for the Z9D:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2545769-official-sony-xbr-65z9d-owner-s-thread-no-price-talk-please-192.html#post50046561

FW history:

Here are the firmware releases I have:

2016-11-18 - sony_dtvota_2016_1600612100_naa_auth:

"This software update (version PKG6.0612.0004NAA) provides general performance improvements of the TV."

Last Marshmallow release

2017-05-10 - sony_dtvota_2016_1602414100_naa_auth:

Android N

Picture-in-picture while in an app

Task-switching

Samba Interactive TV

Asphalt Nitro

BT audio support (only applicable to E models and not the Z)

Hybrid Log-Gamma (can be used via USB/Home Network and HDMI)

Improved Settings Screen (Shows up as a pane on the right instead of taking the whole screen)

Can use multiple Google accounts on the TV

2017-07-11 - sony_dtvota_2016_1602648100_naa_auth:

This software update (version PKG6.2648.0065NAA) provides the following changes and benefits:

Improvements over version PKG6.2414.0040NAA:

Adds support for the Amazon® Alexa™ app that runs on Amazon Echo™ devices

Resolves an issue where optical digital sound sometimes stops

Resolves an issue where the TV speakers and the sound from the PS4 controller are out of sync

Resolves an issue where frame drops occur and the AV is out of sync when playing 4K HDR 60fps content

2017-10-03 - sony_dtvota_2016_1602669100_naa_auth:

Not sure about what's changed in this release. The notes I have are as follows.

Adds support for the Amazon® Alexa™ app that runs on Amazon Echo™ devices

Resolves an issue where optical digital sound sometimes stops

Resolves an issue where the TV speakers and the sound from the PS4 controller are out of sync

Resolves an issue where frame drops occur and the AV is out of sync when playing 4K HDR 60fps content

2017-11-07 - sony_dtvota_2016_1602676100_naa_auth

"This software update (version PKG6.2676.0070NAA) adds the Google Assistant function."

2018-01-16 - sony_dtvota_2016_1602818100_naa_auth:

This software update (version PKG6.2818.0070NAA) provides the following benefits:

Improves general performance of the TV

Adds support for Dolby Vision™ content

2018-03-20 - sony_dtvota_2016_1602858100_naa_auth:

This software update (version PKG6.2858.00082NAA) provides the following benefits:

Improves general performance of the TV

Improves performance for Amazon Prime® video playback

Resolves a condition where a short beeping sound is heard when changing channels

AppleTV 4K DV already works - looks phenomenal

Thanks

Waiting for it to come to the players. I guess LG's implemented system seems more robust.

Sony requires the player to have the needed code for DV to work.

Looking forward to seeing it. Cheers

I got sent some questions which I think current Z9D owners may be able to - please ask in the forum guys, my set hasn't arrived yet :)

Q1:

Is the power cord detachable

Q2:

Is the blinking / flashing issue seen in the AVS forum fixed or do we have it locally?

Cheers

Some notes about Sony's pricing..

They are pretty strict on discounts, almost Mac-like in keeping prices consistent..

LG often organises sales, with real discounts, freebies etc. The stores also price the runout items at real discounts. For Sony, you need to approach the sales staff, intimate to them that you are really in the market and willing to buy right there.

If there are runout stuff, you are likely to get a good deal. If you offer to buy the insurance/warranty, the sales staff will be more likely to package something together for you.

Since there are a few folks looking for the Z9D, why not come together and talk to the reps together?

All the best, and enjoy your buys!

I got sent some questions which I think current Z9D owners may be able to - please ask in the forum guys, my set hasn't arrived yet :)

Q1:

Is the power cord detachable

Q2:

Is the blinking / flashing issue seen in the AVS forum fixed or do we have it locally?

Cheers

Q1 : Didn't really see how it was attached during the installation but I somehow couldn't get it detached from the TV. Afraid might damage the socket (if it exists) or cable, hence never dare use too much force so gave up.

Q2 : Oh, don't worry about all those issues discussed in those AVS or AV forums. Most if a not all have already been resolved with the firmware updates. I never have had any issue since the previous firmware update before the current one. Used to have some motion issues at the beginning but now the set is working perfectly, better than my newer 9400E.

Detachable cord important for me as I run the cables thru my feature wall. I was told by the sales at Best that it is detectable but best to double check the manual. I am also looking for a 65” TV, maybe a 9000 or 8500 series.

Q1 : Didn't really see how it was attached during the installation but I somehow couldn't get it detached from the TV. Afraid might damage the socket (if it exists) or cable, hence never dare use too much force so gave up.

Q2 : Oh, don't worry about all those issues discussed in those AVS or AV forums. Most if a not all have already been resolved with the firmware updates. I never have had any issue since the previous firmware update before the current one. Used to have some motion issues at the beginning but now the set is working perfectly, better than my newer 9400E.

Thanks bro - thumbs up!

I downloaded the local manual and it talks about cleaning the AC lead and not using a non-Sony lead. That seems to suggest that the lead is detachable..

Anyway for my older TV, I got the electrician to fashion an IEC plug, so even if it's non-detachable, that's no big deal..

Thinking of getting the 65" Z9D to replace me 7 yrs-old Pana plasma.

Had wanted to get the LG C7 initially but read good reviews on the Z9D too.

Any idea what is the best price for this runout model?

IIRC it was still rather high a couple of months back compared to the C7.

Thanks bro - thumbs up!

I downloaded the local manual and it talks about cleaning the AC lead and not using a non-Sony lead. That seems to suggest that the lead is detachable..

Anyway for my older TV, I got the electrician to fashion an IEC plug, so even if it's non-detachable, that's no big deal..

For 65inch Z9D the power cord is not detachable, not sure about other sizes

I think you will find the C7 much cheaper, if you can still find one..

The discount/ price drops will be higher on the larger and less popular models..

The flagship HN store has a large selection and now is the time to get those 2017 models.

The cord is detachable from the power brick for 7500e, 8500e and 9000e but not detachable from the back of the TV. 2018 series are without power brick. Not sure about Z9D.

The cord is detachable from the power brick for 7500e, 8500e and 9000e but not detachable from the back of the TV. 2018 series are without power brick. Not sure about Z9D.

No power brick for Z9D, power cord is straight into the back of the TV

Can I ask:

Has everyone done their DV update circa April 2018, and have no blinking issues?

When seated, I am about 100 to 110cm off the ground and I want the centre of the set to be just under my line of vision. How far off the floor will the bottom edge be, and what should I tell the mounting team? Will they know how to do the estimate?

I also have an existing mount for a 64" plasma, hefty piece of gear... can I use that existing mount?

Thanks! 

FYI, there's some promotion for the Sony now, so the sales guys can help get a better price.

You can squeeze for more glasses, discount on the warranty etc..

I think the chaps at the HN flagship store are hungry for a deal, Courts and BD couldn't not match the price. Some bros who sent me a pm definitely had better deals than I.

So look for Nicholas and co... (8123 9416)

The C7 65" will be almost 80% cheaper than the 65" ZD9. The value point is at the 75". A C7 is now selling for under 4.5k if you can find it.

Can I ask:

Has everyone done their DV update circa April 2018, and have no blinking issues?

When seated, I am about 100 to 110cm off the ground and I want the centre of the set to be just under my line of vision. How far off the floor will the bottom edge be, and what should I tell the mounting team? Will they know how to do the estimate?

I also have an existing mount for a 64" plasma, hefty piece of gear... can I use that existing mount?

Thanks! 

I've done the DV update, so far no blinking issue.

Can't comment on the mounting question except to keep in mind that the viewing angle for this TV is rather narrow (it's one of its weakness) so be sure to have it mounted as central to your viewing position as possible both in X and Y axis

As for the mount strength, it's best to check the weight. The Z9D models in general are not light TVs for the size, I think because they have more than the usual array of blacklighting.

FYI, there's some promotion for the Sony now, so the sales guys can help get a better price.

You can squeeze for more glasses, discount on the warranty etc..

I think the chaps at the HN flagship store are hungry for a deal, Courts and BD couldn't not match the price. Some bros who sent me a pm definitely had better deals than I.

So look for Nicholas and co... (8123 9416)

Can look for Aloysius too.

A comment from someone who pm me:

"I went down to check out the 75" Z9D yesterday and while the bright is really bright, the motion juddering is a HUGE concern. Playing The Fellowship of the Ring bluray starting scene at Mount Doom, the juddering motion of the humans carrying the swords upright walking to the battlefront is a disaster. I cannot live with that coming from a plasma TV user... The Sony A1 renders this slightly better but also everything falls apart during the same Sauron battle scene."

I've done the DV update, so far no blinking issue.

Can't comment on the mounting question except to keep in mind that the viewing angle for this TV is rather narrow (it's one of its weakness) so be sure to have it mounted as central to your viewing position as possible both in X and Y axis

As for the mount strength, it's best to check the weight. The Z9D models in general are not light TVs for the size, I think because they have more than the usual array of blacklighting.

Thanks bro, my old plasma was pretty heavy.. and I stressed my wall to hold a 100kg TV. The old Panasonic VT 30 I had was around 65kg :)

The main issue is whether I need to drill new holes..

The TV on display at shops usually had the motion "improvement" setting set to max. For slow moving action it looks fabulous. For fast action, can see the side effects.

Sony TV usually handles motion the best. If Sony TV CMI, then the rest usually worse.

A comment from someone who pm me:

"I went down to check out the 75" Z9D yesterday and while the bright is really bright, the motion juddering is a HUGE concern. Playing The Fellowship of the Ring bluray starting scene at Mount Doom, the juddering motion of the humans carrying the swords upright walking to the battlefront is a disaster. I cannot live with that coming from a plasma TV user... The Sony A1 renders this slightly better but also everything falls apart during the same Sauron battle scene."

Happened to bioth z9D and A1? Sounds like the bluray player issue to me. Otherwise could be the firmware which some retail shops never did any updates since putting up the tv on display. I tested the 9400E display set at HN previously and it juddered like hell with all kind of media signal fed in by the sales. I took the risk and bought it and luckily no such issue on my set. I guess to be sure its not the tv issue, do more tests at other retailers carrying the same tv.

FW log for the Z9D:

PKG6.0612.0004NAA - Release Firmware

PKG6.2648.0065NAA

PKG6.2669.0070NAA

PKG6.2818.0075NAA - 1st Dolby Vision Firmware

PKG6.2858.00082NAA - Current Firmware

I am having some trouble with the ARC..

The TV and my Denon recognise each other (HDMI 3 / ARC), turns on, switches inputs, volume etc but there is no sound?

Any ideas?

Thanks bros

The TV and my Denon recognise each other (HDMI 3 / ARC), turns on, switches inputs, volume etc but there is no sound?

Any ideas?

Thanks bros

Try restart the tv (app) and see how. I am using yammy sound bar and avr for my tvs connected to ARC. All control function works under ARC. You can try also try to resync the arc connection again.

Any ideas?

Thanks bros

TV speakers switched to External?

31024596_10160305304140427_5108307006918443839_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeGDeEvxm3XJsnf-0dq5SBVexh_p8cCKCYCqnWKM8xcOtSE1cJpHyNfVJ52ySeKw0_A_uFehqYo5pr3R37W48WiFA239e9yY8UjznkBmdkAvqg&oh=43bd6ece1f1bae71fa38d0f269ef1abc&oe=5B5206A1

My my, the colors are rather impressive, even if I just use the copied settings..

You do get some of the usual LCD/LED issues but the uniformity is as good as it goes for this technology..

The pop factor is something else..

Will try the 3D glasses soon..

I don't see an option for 2D-3D conversion, unlike my old plasma, nor does it have an option to make 3D into 2D?

Some notes:

No 2D to 3D conversion and vice versa.. active glasses, the 500 series works better. Pop factor pretty good..

It's early days with my new 75", but the colors are very impressive indeed!

30848564_10160307485275427_6656416202981197235_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeHxCkYqCcNqeXydwI3PKdEiLhUSvGXUh6E-m6SEHi2uR6JVfQ3iAHPrPJXX7ply4GS2ZQYikUhP1t5oQJXK0SHwxcz_ud-8CvqISTMh7gUX4Q&oh=d6cfcc45146c53a0bd67c773fbb026ea&oe=5B6422C6

30848651_10160307485310427_2425027556048413305_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeFL-RuA1uIMETf-mYdF1UffmU1jBV8NVnlaBQIyXLAl5IkX5Rw01ImoHioVgdrkWcGp6FiWKt9UNgpqj4HBofuvyRcoA14mMztyyagSHOAwOw&oh=91b6a5fa31db5a417753028bee016031&oe=5B53C67E