LG OLED C7 Calibration

Does anyone know where i can find "Beginner's guide to calibrating an OLED HDR TV" . Am an absolute dummy and totally no idea where to start as the technical jargon seem too complicated with all the judder, truMotion, Eye Care Motion, point, colour management, gamma etc. I mean what the hell is gamma? I only know gamma radiation caused Dr Bruce Banner to be the HULK!

Is there a disc for test pattern on the HDR/Dolby Vision content and how to do it? Or any step by step guide/disc to follow?

The presets are really stunning but the goal is to bring out the best in the OLED. Appreciate the help.

Thanks a lot!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, so good the HDR image quality on the OLED. Stunning. Not sure how else i can improve the quality of the TV, its absolutely stunning the OLED C7! Switched off some truMotion etc and brought down the sharpness to 0 from 20 when in HDR mode. Mostly followed what the AVforum pros recommended. Turns out NOTHING to set on Gamma. Its being greyed out, no escape from Bruce Banner's Gamma Radiation.

So so good the OLED HDR from LG. Still havent had the time to sit down and fully enjoy all the movies, almost there with the crowsons dialed in....

Its paper thin, side view.....

Wah.. you have another new toys ? don't want PJ already huh?

Anyway, Congrat bro.... Must visit you one day to enjoy your new toys  ;D

Sure bro, Absolutely Stunning the OLED 2017 model. The Mrs doesnt approve of the PJ. Cos mine is in the hall. So sometimes i just respect her opinion and go with it. Otherwise no meaning living together if i wanted to have everything my way. TV she is ok. So ok la, whack la OLED HDR.

I havent even gone in to Dynamic HDR, the Static HDR is already stunning.

Waiting to get the 1st Ultra HD in Dolby Vision, Despicable Me. My kids would love it. So i can enjoy it too. Only thing is its not in Atmos, just DTS:X.

The LG OLED 7 series already launched in Singapore? Does not appear in their website.<--Launched early this year, just hit Singapore shores. I believe most would need to clear the 6 Series stock. Price should drop, but not too much. I think OLED pricing is there and wont drop significantly. By the time u wanna get the old model, no more stock. Then new model 2017 will be available at similar pricing, with the reason, this has got HLG and Technicolor HDR etc etc, previous model dont have. The same when 2018 models launch. So in my view, no point waiting, its like taking forever.........

Just bought the C7 so would be interested to know what's the best setting too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes same here bro, so far I've followed what was recommended by avforum, toggled around with the trumotion off settings etc. But those were based on the OLED c6 model settings. The presets are really good but of course we trying to bring out the best in the C7. Still sourcing and reading and can't find much info.

Desray has got some nice HDR test patterns thingy, but need to understand how to use it... his projector display on xmen is stunning from the pics, can see the difference in pic quality. I can imagine how good it is seeing it on real screen.

I believe display calibration cannot be done blindly by following standard settings, due to hardware variations resulting in possible different end results for identical settings. Also remember the final image seen by eye depends on ambient light levels in room, as well as ambient light colour, cool, warm, blue, etc..

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

I believe display calibration cannot be done blindly by following standard settings, due to hardware variations resulting in possible different end results for identical settings. Also remember the final image seen by eye depends on ambient light levels in room, as well as ambient light colour, cool, warm, blue, etc..

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Yes bro, totally understand as laid out clearly in the article. I tend to follow settings like switching off edge enhancer, noise reduction, Truemotion, dynamic contrast etc.

There are also nice tips mentioned on how to activate chroma subsampling by naming the inputs to "PC". And also how to activate deep UHD colour in specific HDMI settings plus they teach u how to use Pixel Refresher and Screen Shift etc. Didnt know all these prior to reading this article which is think is helpful to beginners like me on how to set the OLED tvs and understand their function. (Didnt have all these in my previous TV.)

One thing i noticed is most professional calibrators recommend the use of "Cinema" mode for HDR( be it on the 2016 model or 2017 model), which i am using now and it does look nicer and natural. Still compiling and seeing what the pros are recommending. Chances are if all pros are recommending to switch off Edge enhancer, then my guess is it should be off for a better experience. so i am taking a calculated approach by following the pros recommendation.

I am still a dummy in calibrating TVs. Still reading up on the terminologies and what they actually mean. Not worried to explore as there is always the "RE-Set" option if i find that i do not like the recommended settings. ;)

Yea bro Wech, there are so many new settings with new terminology.. Its moving forward so fast.... HDR alone u have HDR 10, Dolby Vision, Technicolour and Hybrid Log Gamma. But its superb even on YouTube. Absolutely stunning and the HDR logo appears confirming signal coming in with HDR metadata. a very nice addition. Im enjoying my system now on all the 4k HDR Blurays. Seeing with my eyes, listening and feeling sub energy etc, all the benefits of the entire system. Very syok! Not only is atmos great, HDR pic quality just blends in nicely. I think a bigger screen would have been nice, but cannot afford too expensive....haha

bry richieleo,

How is it at your end? Played with the tweaks and calibration etc? I did try out the recommended settings using ISF dark, seems to be nicer

Yea bro Wech, there are so many new settings with new terminology.. Its moving forward so fast.... HDR alone u have HDR 10, Dolby Vision, Technicolour and Hybrid Log Gamma. But its superb even on YouTube. Absolutely stunning and the HDR logo appears confirming signal coming in with HDR metadata. a very nice addition. Im enjoying my system now on all the 4k HDR Blurays. Seeing with my eyes, listening and feeling sub energy etc, all the benefits of the entire system. Very syok! Not only is atmos great, HDR pic quality just blends in nicely. I think a bigger screen would have been nice, but cannot afford too expensive....haha

bry richieleo,

How is it at your end? Played with the tweaks and calibration etc? I did try out the recommended settings using ISF dark, seems to be nicer

Fiddled around with it. Not really happy but I ended up with HDR effect (user) with a medium setting.

• 3 weeks later...

If willing to take display set, it'll be cheap.

I got my 65C7 for only 4.2k from Courts 3day Expo show. It was delivered w/ only 32hours usage.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Excellent buy! Only thing is with demo sets it depends on your luck cos the quantity is limited. So even if willing to buy doesn't mean will always have 1 that is available for sale.

Excellent buy! Only thing is with demo sets it depends on your luck cos the quantity is limited. So even if willing to buy doesn't mean will always have 1 that is available for sale.

Agreed. And IMHO, even if I bought a display set at such a price, I will not post in the forum unless this price is available for many sets for others to buy. Imagine if I'm the Bro who just recently bought the same model at $6.2k and saw his post.  :'(

Agreed. And IMHO, even if I bought a display set at such a price, I will not post in the forum unless this price is available for many sets for others to buy. Imagine if I'm the Bro who just recently bought the same model at $6.2k and saw his post.  :'(

It should be available for other display price.

One week before I bought my set it was sold at same price by Harvey Norman at Expo. I missed the display set by 1 hour.

Courts initially wanted 4.8k for the display set but after I told them about the earlier offer of Harvey Norman, they agreed.

So for those looking for display sets, you an bargain for same price or less.

If willing to take display set, it'll be cheap.

I got my 65C7 for only 4.2k from Courts 3day Expo show. It was delivered w/ only 32hours usage.

Superb Buy! i wouldnt mind a display set too. Its just so good. I was watching the Astronomer video the other day, just stunning the Blacks on the C7. and even on YouTube, was watching the Peppa Pig cartoon, colours are brilliant. So so good!