Westworld Theories

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever the truth is, it's looks like it may be a while before we learn of it since the show has now been renewed for a 2nd season.

The rub is that we may not get S2 until early 2018. That's a long wait for a show. And apart from Sherlock, there isn't another show I can think of that can sustain interest for that long a break.

Guest AndrewC

Of all the theories flying around, I must admit the Bernard Lowe theory seemed one of the most far fetched (except for maybe the clue of the sound of Arnold’s voice in the hosts heads)… Even so, it definitely caught me off-guard! Nice to be surprised this way once in a while, and so early in the series :)

I haven't gotten to reading any of the fan theories being floated around but I have to admit that the 'Bernard' reveal was quite something (though I did got a blip of it from a headline I came across)

It got me thinking. I wondered if Bernard is Arnold 2.0. Any thoughts?

Maybe the truth is that Ford is the only non-host in the entire show.  ;D

I have a theory- Ford is actually Arnold as well( he could have dual personalities and Ford is the evil one). The tragedy mentioned could be he losing his mother to his father.. The man in black could be his brother trying to find a way (the maze) to find his brother(Arnold)..

I have a theory- Ford is actually Arnold as well( he could have dual personalities and Ford is the evil one). The tragedy mentioned could be he losing his mother to his father.. The man in black could be his brother trying to find a way (the maze) to find his brother(Arnold)..

Not bad. That's certainly a possibility considering that no one at the park seems to have actually met Arnold.

So maybe Ford is also an android too with the 'uploaded' evil personality of Arnold!  :)

I thought the current theory is that there is 2 timelines inter-spliced together, one in the past and one in the present and that the Man in Black is most likely William. As long as William never meets the Man in Black, there is a chance that it might be true.

OMG! The reveal is coming fast and furious.  :o

In all my years of watching shows, it's not often that I speculate on theories about the show. I usually prefer to let the story unfold along the way and just enjoyed the ride. So it does comes as a surprise to me that one of the few times I did speculate, I was

actually quite close to the truth about Bernard being Arnold 2.0.

The episode may have inadvertently revealed that maybe Ford is also a host too. 

In the conversation with Ford, Bernard said 'Arnold built us, didn't he? Which means maybe he had something different in mind for us.' Why would Bernard said that they (meaning Ford and Bernard) were built by Arnold? Strange but maybe this is not very likely

OMG! The reveal is coming fast and furious.  :o

In all my years of watching shows, it's not often that I speculate on theories about the show. I usually prefer to let the story unfold along the way and just enjoyed the ride. So it does comes as a surprise to me that one of the few times I did speculate, I was

actually quite close to the truth about Bernard being Arnold 2.0.

The episode may have inadvertently revealed that maybe Ford is also a host too. 

In the conversation with Ford, Bernard said 'Arnold built us, didn't he? Which means maybe he had something different in mind for us.' Why would Bernard said that they (meaning Ford and Bernard) were built by Arnold? Strange but maybe this is not very likely

I thought the second one too, just like I thought when he kept thinking about Teresa- was that because she was a host too? (She also froze in his memory). But I don't know, if Ford were a host too, that would be one host too many IMHO. Already starting to feel a bit like Lost, where everything ridiculous eventually happens- and somehow we're still in Season 1.

I'm most curious why Delores killed Arnold, guess we'll find out next week!

Guest AndrewC

Guess most folks saw it coming since EP7 ;D…

Didn’t expect his names to be an anagram though; Bernard Lowe - Arnold Weber.  Also figured it’d be Ford who did Arnold in rather than Dolores, nice twist! It’ll be interesting to understand the circumstances, and whether Arnold foresaw it happening and left enough of his consciousness in the maze (a la horcruxes? ;D)

Logan’s sister’s pic also pretty much confirms William is the MIB since he most likely left the photo with dad-Abernathy that trigged his malfunction.

Two key questions in my mind; (1) what exactly does the MIB expect to find at the centre of the maze? Just hoping it's not going to be an anti-climax/let down... (2) Is Dolores or Teddy actually Wyatt? I'm bordering on Dolores considering she's the oldest 'bot and who she's offed ;D

Frankly, given the trajectory of where the show is heading, I would prefer that this story arc ends with the next episode.

I mean, nothing is worse than a story that drags and drags (for the sake of dragging with no resolution in sight ala Lost). Westworld is an excellent show but it is no GOT so I'm not sure if the mythology is expansive enough for the story to continue dragging.

Yes. I know the series has been renewed but I can see this show working as an anthology too. It's probably not likely because for some reason anthology series can be tricky to pull off successfully  (especially given HBO experience with True Detective). So it's probably better for the suits and/or writers to stick with the tried and tested approach.

Ever since I first thought the MIB might be William, what I've been most curious about is this- what in the world happened to him, that he went from being guppy-eyed with Delores, to forcing himself on her the first time the MIB meets her? It's a 180 degree reversal, from 'she's different from the others', to 'screw all hosts, I'm human and you're not'.

The second thing I'm most curious about, what is Ford's new narrative about, and what does it have to do with the first Westworld training place, that 'city in the sand'?

Guest AndrewC

Didn't Dolores recognised Bernard as Arnold when they finally met?

All the interactions you see between Dolores and Bernard/Arnold are actually just memories that she’s reliving in the current time, they’re not real! If you re-watch the episodes, you’ll notice their only interactions were in Ford’s “secret” basement, i.e. it’s the Arnold-Dolores interaction from 34 years ago that she’s recalling. In fact, almost all of the scenes you see of Dolores are actually her recollections of the past, including the William narrative.

Dolores does interacts with current Ford in Episode 5, where he asks her whether she remembers or has had any interactions with Arnold since 34 years ago. She also tells Ford that Arnold told her she’s going to help him “destroy this place”, which I think is the hint that Dolores is “Wyatt”; she and Teddy “kills” all the hosts back 30 years ago in that small town with the Church in an attempt to destroy Westworld (Ford tears at the end of that interaction when she asks if they were “old friends” and he says, “No”… I guess because she killed Arnold).

So, Dolores has not had any interactions with current Bernard at all :)

Guest AndrewC

Absolutely fabulous! Loved the ending, exactly as it should be. :)

(although there weren’t any true surprises left ;D)

Now I’m terribly curious what they’re going to do for season 2!