Do not listen to the lampizator dac !

I heard the Lampizator in comparison to PDX and a Playback Designs CD player. Instantly switched and a blind test. I was able to pick the Lampizator blind due to the obvious difference in tonal balance and gain. It's a little hard to compare these things by ear, but it seemed to me that it had the more obvious alteration in tonal balance, compared to the others.

Most Lampi DACs from Level 3 up are sold as complete units.

Anyway, each to their own, sound-wise. ;)

It's great that there's so much choice in DAC-land.

I love my Lampi. There, I've said it! But I don't take it to bed!

And if someone loves their Killer DAC, (e.g. Mario/Kajak) I am genuinely very happy for them.

As many here have noticed, what is music to one persons ears is not necessarily so for another listener.

If the sound puts a smile on your dial, who cares?

Viva la difference! Choice is good, yet can be bloody confusing at times too!

Edited by GraemeB
  • Like 2

I heard the Lampizator in comparison to PDX and a Playback Designs CD player. Instantly switched and a blind test. I was able to pick the Lampizator blind due to the obvious difference in tonal balance and gain. It's a little hard to compare these things by ear, but it seemed to me that it had the more obvious alteration in tonal balance, compared to the others.

I find it very easy to compare dacs by ear i am puzzled why you find it little hard............

I find it very easy to compare dacs by ear i am puzzled why you find it little hard............

That isn't what I meant. Let me expand to be more clear. It's a little hard to determine how a component like a DAC is affecting the frequency response by listening to music. It's very easy and very accurate with measurements, but music and subjective listening tend to mask things.

Mario, my experience is that those who are truly superior in ability are rarely the same people that are so eager to make others aware of it at every turn.

• Like 4

The best way to discover how a dac is affecting the music, is by listening and comparing. Looking at frequency response plots are but 1 indicator.

I would agree with you there Andrew - hope you are not thinking I was implying otherwise. Having said that, a frequency response measurement might point out where one DAC is deliberately altering the frequency response. I'd normally expect that a DAC would not make enough difference here to be worth measuring, but what I heard with the Lampizator suggests otherwise. That's the only reason this is getting mentioned.

If I went out shopping for a DAC, how would I measure the dac?

I'm not the complete technophile so I would have little else other than  to rely on what I'm hearing.

Should I just accept that an of the shelf unit is correct and a DIY one is flavoured?

Or possibly both, but how can I tell?

Edited by joz

i supposed all electronics should be flat. speakers inherently will be +-

what paul trying to say is that usually electronics such as Dac should give reference flat response rather than tuned the freq.

i think what makes it different as it is Tube based. the tubes amp designer can tailored the harmonics (distortion) to suit his / her reference sound.

Joz,

Just show up to the hifi retailer with a bag full of measurement equipment, smile and say "hi, my name's joz, and I want to measure your DACs!" Actually the reaction might be more entertaining if you have a tape measure instead!

No doubt those with electronics expertise would be able to describe how to measure a DAC but I'd probably just do an acoustic measurement with the mic placed fairly close to the speaker, ensuring that it stays in the one place.

I wouldn't make any assumption about which one might be flavoured.

Actually I'm not totally against a DAC not being totally flat. It's just that I tend to think that kind of thing should be articulated. I also think if you want to shape the response, a DAC is not the best place to do it.

Apologies to the OP as we're getting a bit off topic.

No doubt those with electronics expertise would be able to describe how to measure a DAC but I'd probably just do an acoustic measurement with the mic placed fairly close to the speaker, ensuring that it stays in the one place.

Adding too many variables into the mix.

A test CD with sweeps and tones and a CRO or DVM on the outputs will do to measure frequency response.

Far more elaborate gear required to measure harmonic distribution etc.

Edited by KenTripp

People who like the Lampizator or KillerDAC sort of sound should also put the Vincent CD S8 player on their audition list.

A very good sounding player with an obviously valvey presentation.

vincent s8 is not in the same planet as the lampi and kd just look at the crap in it

Have you heard one?

Same sort of crap that can be found in very good digital recording and transfer equipment I suppose.

Have you heard one?

Same sort of crap that can be found in very good digital recording and transfer equipment I suppose.

Delta sigma dac chip for starters  and two Russian 6922 dual triode tubes, as well as premium WIMA and Solen capacitors why waste the time on a audition i would rather watch home and away :D

Very good for you might be crap for me when it comes to recordings :D