Jump to content

Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, betocool said:

I have:

Camel - The Snow Goose (CD), actually, my Missus is the big Camel fan

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind

Flying Colors

 

Cheers,

 

Alberto

 

I'm sorry to report Alberto, you'll need to cook dinner for the next 6 months, wash the missus' car, do the shopping, cleaning (including the bathrooms) as well as buy her chocolates and flowers.

 

Hope you do better with the big poll!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steven Wilson ~ The Raven That Refused To Sing  

So spent a long time today with some classic prog and rock.   A bottle of Shiraz, some chips, chocolates and no work!!!!    

Hi Proggers,    On to some Opeth for the afternoon.     JJ

2 hours ago, progladyte said:

So,,,,,,,,,,, I thought I would really make this poll idea stick with quite a few more samples.

 

Strewth - gunna be a lot of bandwidth as everyone replies with images.

 

Anyway, wot I got:

 

Al Di Meola - Casino (LP,CD)

Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle (CD)

Be Bop Deluxe - Sunburst Finish (LP)

Barclay James Harvest - Gone To Earth (CD)

Bruford - One Of A Kind (CD)

Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour (LP, CD)

Camel - Snow Goose (LP, CD)

Caravan - In The Land Of Pink And Grey (CD)

Clannad - (other titles) (LP, CD)

Dead Can Dance - Aion (CD)

Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory (CD)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - s/t (LP, CD)

Fleet Foxes - s/t (CD)

Flower Kings - (different titles on CD)

Focus - Moving Waves (LP, CD)

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound (LP, CD)

Gordon Giltrap - Fear Of The Dark (LP)

Glass Hammer - (whatever it is called) (CD)

Gong - (different titles) (CD)

Greenslace - (different titles) (CD)

IQ - (different titles) (CD)

Jon Anderson - Olias Of Sunhillow (LP, CD)

Jean-Luc Ponty - Mystical Adventures (LP)

Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood (LP, CD)

Jade Warrior - (different titles) (LP)

Kansas - Leftoverture (LP)

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (LP, CD)

Loreena McKennit - The Visit (CD)

Liquid Tension Experiment - s/t (CD)

Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior (LP, CD)

Rush - Moving Pictures (LP, CD)

Rick Wakeman - (other titles) - (LP, CD)

Spock's Beard - (other titles) (CD)

Sebastian Hardie - Four Moments (LP, CD)

Steve Hackett - Voyage Of The Acolyte (LP, CD)

Starcastle - s/t (LP, CD)

Steve Morse - (other titles) (CD)

Traffic - (other titles) (LP, CD)

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind (CD)

UK - (other titles) (LP,CD)

Unitopia - The Garden (CD)

Utopia - s/t (LP, CD)

Wishbone Ash - Argus (LP, CD)

Yes - Fragile (LP, CD)

Marillion - Clutching At Straws (LP, CD)

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (LP, CD)

Mystery - Delusion Rain (CD)

Nekatr - (other titles) (LP)

Pink Floyd - Meddle (LP, CD)

PFM - Photos Of Ghosts (LP,CD)

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream (CD)

Renaissance - Scheherazade (LP, CD)

 

I used "(other titles)" to indicate that I didn't have the title pictured, but have got other titles from the same artist.

 

--Geoff

Edited by hired goon
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

41 of the actual items, but alternative albums from the artists listed would bang the total up a bit.

Will Mrs Mills appear on the next list?

Billy

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ZEN MISTER said:

41 of the actual items, but alternative albums from the artists listed would bang the total up a bit.

Will Mrs Mills appear on the next list?

Billy

 

I just pissed myself Dave.

 

I'm sending you the dry cleaning bill as well as a bill for some new Ugg boots.........

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, progladyte said:

 

I just pissed myself Dave.

 

I'm sending you the dry cleaning bill as well as a bill for some new Ugg boots.........

 

 

Geez Greg.

 

What kinda progger wears Uggs?😜

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@progladyte I have 25 of the listed titles. I do have other titles by the listed artists. Your list reminded me to revisit Unitopia - The Garden. (a great aussie prog band)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@ZEN MISTER@hired goon@patjoy

 

Guys can you edit you list again if you don't mind. Somehow about 20+ images didn't load and I didn't pick it up until just now what went AWOL.

 

Thanks if you can.

 

 

Edited by progladyte
Link to post
Share on other sites

@progladyte

 

That is a long #2 list 

 

I have lots of those listed or many from the same artists / bands listed below is a checklist from your post of all I can remember 

 

King Crimson, Genesis, Camel, Jethro Tull, Al Di Melola, YES, Kansas, UK, Triumvirate, Spooky Tooth, Emerson Lake Palmer, Steve Hackett, Sebastian Hardie, Rush, Jon Anderson, Kayak, Gentle Giant, Focus, Bill Bruford, Gong 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, ZEN MISTER said:

Will Mrs Mills appear on the next list?

Billy


Hah 

In the last 2 weeks I have added another 5 Mrs Mills LPs to the collection 

Yes I am a tragic 🤪

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rantan said:

Geez Greg.

 

What kinda progger wears Uggs?😜

 

 

I'm the guy in the 2nd but I'm too embarrassed to show you my ugg boots........

fg.jpg

fg1.png

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Full Range said:


Hah 

In the last 2 weeks I have added another 5 Mrs Mills LPs to the collection 

Yes I am a tragic 🤪

 

Cancel this man's membership immediately.

 

 

Marc!

 

 

 

 

Marc!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bugger!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, progladyte said:

 

Cancel this man's membership immediately.

 

 

Marc!

 

 

 

 

Marc!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bugger!


Funny thing is , when I posted a photo of the 5 Mrs Mills LPs on Instagram they received heaps of likes 

Actually more than other more recognised bands 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Full Range said:


Funny thing is , when I posted a photo of the 5 Mrs Mills LPs on Instagram they received heaps of likes 

Actually more than other more recognised bands 

 

 

Paul,

 

I heard a rumour that Yes were going to ask her to replace Rick Wakeman but she was too busy touring so had to pull the pin.....

 

Such a pity!

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have quite a few on that list, or other albums by the same bands.

 

Curved Air - Air Cut,  also Air Conditioning, Second Album, Phantasmagoria

Caravan - In The Land Of Pink and Grey, also Caravan, Waterloo Lily

Clannad - no, but I have a few of their albums, mostly the early ones where they were more traditional Irish

Dead Can Dance - also the Serpent's Egg, Into the Labyrinth, Spirit Chaser, Wake

Emerson Lake & Palmer - their first album, also Tarkus, Trilogy, Pictures at an Exhibition, Works and a couple of others

Fleet Foxes - only have Helplessness Blues

Focus - Moving Waves, Focus III, Hamburger Concerto, Ship of Memories, Focus X

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound (LP only), A Trick Of The Tail CD/SACD

Gryphon - ALL of their albums!!!

Jean-Luc Ponty - no, but I have Jazz Long Playing, Electric Connection, King Kong, Cosmic Messenger, A Taste for Passion, The Gift of Time,                                                        Tchokola

Jethro Tull - Songs from the Woods, and quite a few others

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King, Larks’ Tongues In Aspic, Starless and Bible Black,

Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior

Wishbone Ash - Argus, Bare Bones, Warriors

Yes - Fragile, also Time And A Word, The Yes Album, Close To The Edge and a few others

Moody Blues - all the albums from Days Of Future Passed to Seventh Sojourn, also The Magnificent Moodies (pre DOFP)

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells, also quite a few of his other albums

Mountain - no, but I have Nantucket Sleighride and a couple of compilation albums

Pink Floyd - Meddle (still my favourite) and quite a few of their albums

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

@progladyte only have 24 albums but 11 of those have between 1 - 17 albums of the artist, plus only a meagre 7 other artists not listed, not extensive but agood mix in a small collection of almost 500 odd CD's and 400 odd albums, gave my stepson about 500 albums to add to his collection, some listened to once or not played in years

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hired goon said:

 

Strewth - gunna be a lot of bandwidth as everyone replies with images.

 

Anyway, wot I got:

 

Al Di Meola - Casino (LP,CD)

Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle (CD)

Be Bop Deluxe - Sunburst Finish (LP)

Barclay James Harvest - Gone To Earth (CD)

Bruford - One Of A Kind (CD)

Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour (LP, CD)

Camel - Snow Goose (LP, CD)

Caravan - In The Land Of Pink And Grey (CD)

Clannad - (other titles) (LP, CD)

Dead Can Dance - Aion (CD)

Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory (CD)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - s/t (LP, CD)

Fleet Foxes - s/t (CD)

Flower Kings - (different titles on CD)

Focus - Moving Waves (LP, CD)

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound (LP, CD)

Gordon Giltrap - Fear Of The Dark (LP)

Glass Hammer - (whatever it is called) (CD)

Gong - (different titles) (CD)

Greenslace - (different titles) (CD)

IQ - (different titles) (CD)

Jon Anderson - Olias Of Sunhillow (LP, CD)

Jean-Luc Ponty - Mystical Adventures (LP)

Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood (LP, CD)

Jade Warrior - (different titles) (LP)

Kansas - Leftoverture (LP)

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (LP, CD)

Loreena McKennit - The Visit (CD)

Liquid Tension Experiment - s/t (CD)

Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior (LP, CD)

Rush - Moving Pictures (LP, CD)

Rick Wakeman - (other titles) - (LP, CD)

Spock's Beard - (other titles) (CD)

Sebastian Hardie - Four Moments (LP, CD)

Steve Hackett - Voyage Of The Acolyte (LP, CD)

Starcastle - s/t (LP, CD)

Steve Morse - (other titles) (CD)

Traffic - (other titles) (LP, CD)

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind (CD)

UK - (other titles) (LP,CD)

Unitopia - The Garden (CD)

Utopia - s/t (LP, CD)

Wishbone Ash - Argus (LP, CD)

Yes - Fragile (LP, CD)

Marillion - Clutching At Straws (LP, CD)

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (LP, CD)

Mystery - Delusion Rain (CD)

Nekatr - (other titles) (LP)

Pink Floyd - Meddle (LP, CD)

PFM - Photos Of Ghosts (LP,CD)

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream (CD)

Renaissance - Scheherazade (LP, CD)

 

I used "(other titles)" to indicate that I didn't have the title pictured, but have got other titles from the same artist.

 

--Geoff

 

 

@hired goon

 

I thought if anyone else on SNA had a smattering of prog albums, Geoff would be one of them.

 

Nice kleckshun there amigo!

Edited by progladyte
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@progladyte listened to the Sylvan album one to zero, a zero from me, you know when it's right for you, and not this time, will keep listening

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wen said:

@progladyte listened to the Sylvan album one to zero, a zero from me, you know when it's right for you, and not this time, will keep listening

 

They are very highly rated wen so give each album a proper amount of time to sink in. First spins often don't work for me as well but repeated plays helps it all unfold.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, following on from the post about Janos Varga Project, if anyone is keen to score any of the bands CDs, they can be found at Synphonic.com - Ask Greg Walker - nice guy with plenty of good stock.

 

Cheers

 

jvp.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, progladyte said:

BTW, following on from the post about Janos Varga Project, if anyone is keen to score any of the bands CDs, they can be found at Synphonic.com - Ask Greg Walker - nice guy with plenty of good stock.


I was listening to Al Di Meola when I saw the post 

Now I’m streaming Janos Varga 

 

E625-CA42-1-F84-4188-93-DD-D15-D773805-A

Link to post
Share on other sites

White Moth Black Butterfly (WMBB) is the 'experimental' creation of UK singer / songwriter Daniel Tompkins (TesseracT, Skyharbor, In Colour) and Keshav Dhar (Skyharbor)

 

With influences stemming from the likes of Massive Attack, Enigma, and Sigur Ros this cross continent studio based project emanates huge cinematic soundscapes, classical and electronic music nested with powerful vocals.

 

White Moth Black Butterfly features a team of songwriters & producers based worldwide, all at the height of their own scenes. Collaborating with Tompkins are New-Delhi based Skyharbor songwriter and producer Keshav Dhar; US based producer and string arranger Randy Slaugh who has previously worked with the likes of Devin Townsend, Architects & Periphery, drummer Mac Christensen and the line up is completed by UK singer & lyricist Jordan Bethany (Turner)

 

Latest album is called "The Cost Of Dreaming"

 

a0091145112_10.jpg

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmm, not many of the albums posted , but others by the same artists.

I have : Sunburst Finish, Snow Goose, Selling England, The Tain, Songs from the Wood, Moving Pictures, The Whirlwind, Fragile, On a Storyteller's Night, Clutching at Straws, and Tubular Bells which is where it all started for me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2021 at 10:05 AM, Janjuggler said:

Hi All,

 

I have nothing of anything 😥😥

 

 

TOO MUCH OF NOTHING THEN?

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I ask, is Lazy by Deep Purple prog? Space Trucking for that matter too?

I think so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Batty said:

OK, I ask, is Lazy by Deep Purple prog? Space Trucking for that matter too?

I think so.

I think Lazy is more blues based than prog. Space Truckin - proggy yes

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two of my favourite albums have been remastered at Abbey Road studios, Queensryche’s Empire and Operation Mindcrime, released on 22/06/21. I just preordered them, hoping the remaster will better the originals which are pretty good anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Batty said:

OK, I ask, is Lazy by Deep Purple prog? Space Trucking for that matter too?

I think so.

They were one of the first bands designated as ‘progressive rock’, along with the early VERTIGO bands and the likes ofManfred Manns’ Earth Band, May Blitz, Juicy Lucy etc. so, discernible blues influences, but from ‘ progressive ‘ came ‘ prog ‘.

Billy

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ZEN MISTER said:

 

Do you remember Vertigo's (I think) marketing campaign, from around '70/'71 (?), Heavy Music is My Bag? I do recall that before Heavy Metal became Heavy Metal that most non-pop, for a while at least, was colloquially known as "heavy" music, regardless of it being from Vertigo or not.

Personally, I have never considered Deep Purple/Black Sabbath/Led Zeppelin or any of the second wave of HM bands that they inspired to be anywhere near Prog.

Oh for the time when it was all just "Music", before the record companies tried to, and succeeded, in comparmentalising the genres.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

Oh for the time when it was all just "Music", before the record companies tried to, and succeeded, in comparmentalising the genres.

 

 

So very true!

 

I still pine for the day that I can put on my favourite album of Swiss Yodelers and not be frowned upon by those upper echelon mob members trying to convert me to buy up the entire 437 LP boxed set kleckshun of Mrs Mills. - I already have all the CDs~!!!&(^%@*^#@&#

 

Strewth! What next?

 

Andre Rieu & Justine's Beaver perform Metallica Live at The Budokan?

 

Don't laugh - I already own the limited print pink vinyl Edison Roll edition in Quadraphonic Mono

 

So there!

 

 

Edited by progladyte
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ZEN MISTER said:

Re Mrs Mills, I am still waiting by the letterbox @progladyte. I have been very patient.

Billy

 

@ZEN MISTER@Full Range@Luc@rantan

Well sonny Jim, you might just have to wait a little more because I sent my Mrs Mills kleckshun off to auction only last week and believe it or not Ripley, it fetched over $3,200 for the full set. Hard to fathom such a huge sum for such a kleckshun I'll agree but let's face it, someone else needed them far more than I did so she had to go.........

 

Do you realise that Aunty Gladys had released over 20 top selling A grade block buster, gob smacking, dish licking, fist pumping, works of supreme art before both "Trick of the Tail" and "Wind & Wuthering" were released? That's tragic!

 

Perhaps the lads from the hallowed halls of prog might set up a "go fund me page" so that when the new owner tires of such a valuable kleckshun, it could be re-auctioned off with you in mind.

 

I'll put your name down on the next auction list shall I?

 

 

 

Edited by progladyte
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@ZEN MISTER@rantan@Luc@Full Range

 

You see how popular you have allowed Mrs Mills to become! Before too long she'll be more famouser than Justine's Beaver FFS!

 

Here's a snippet from another SNA member who posted in the thread about only having one artist to play.

 

Marc has assured me your membership to the prog page is being considered for cancellation....,.

 

You'll need at least 3 Hail Mary's and to recite the lyrics to all the songs on "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" backwards with the lights off before he can even consider allowing an exemption.

 

Final warning pal!!!!! Or it's off to the naughty corner for you mate!

"

2 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Listen to Bob D and Van M. You will go so much quicker😃

Nah . They are fine.

 

The favourite thing played in terminal oncology wards where there is no hope except for hospice style care is Mrs Mills.  After a few hours they pass away,either eager to move on to avoid her or just to submit to the inevitable, where the music is worse than the suffering.

Edited 1 hour ago by rantan

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, progladyte said:

You see how popular you have allowed Mrs Mills to become! Before too long she'll be more famouser than Justine's Beaver FFS!


Not hard to be more popular than Justin - that is to a broader audience 

 

How does one search units sold for both Mrs Mills and JB 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Full Range said:


Not hard to be more popular than Justin - that is to a broader audience 

 

How does one search units sold for both Mrs Mills and JB 

 

Not sure Paul.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, progladyte said:

@ZEN MISTER@rantan@Luc@Full Range

 

You see how popular you have allowed Mrs Mills to become! Before too long she'll be more famouser than Justine's Beaver FFS!

 

Here's a snippet from another SNA member who posted in the thread about only having one artist to play.

 

Marc has assured me your membership to the prog page is being considered for cancellation....,.

 

You'll need at least 3 Hail Mary's and to recite the lyrics to all the songs on "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" backwards with the lights off before he can even consider allowing an exemption.

 

Final warning pal!!!!! Or it's off to the naughty corner for you mate!

"

Nah . They are fine.

 

The favourite thing played in terminal oncology wards where there is no hope except for hospice style care is Mrs Mills.  After a few hours they pass away,either eager to move on to avoid her or just to submit to the inevitable, where the music is worse than the suffering.

Edited 1 hour ago by rantan

On befall of Mrs Mills , we are deeply offended.

Billy ( Confidante and Spiritual Advisor )

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ZEN MISTER said:

On befall of Mrs Mills , we are deeply offended.

Billy ( Confidante and Spiritual Advisor )

 

Shall I say the 3 Hail Mary's for you as a means of redemption? 😁

 

Not sure if I can remember all the lyrics though!

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...