HTS Advice Needed (KEF3005SE + Denon AVR1610 + Himedia HD300D)

Guest sasay1980

Guest sasay1980

Yo Bros,

Planning for my first HTS setup (70% movie: 30% music), need some of your advices. :)

Based on the standard speakers placement

I drafted out the setup for my house

The living rm dimension: Width 4.3m, Length 4.5m, Height 2.6m.

Rear speakers will be mounted near ceiling and front speakers will be at around ear level. There is a 0.6m partition between my living and dining room.

Selected equipments:

Speakers & Sub Woofer: KEF3005SE (5.1) (No plans to upgrade speakers in future)

Amplifier: DENON AVR1610

TV: FULL HD Panasonic VIERA TH50PY800H

Source: HIMEDIA HD300D (specs: http://www.playsmartsg.net/blog/?p=653)

Speaker Cables: Belden/Qed Qudos

Some Concerns:

Some claims that Denon 1910, 2310 have better audio processing over 1610. When I compared the 3 AVRs (http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/257.asp?compareitem=5011&compareitem=4858&compareitem=4865&imageField.x=56&imageField.y=18) many features in 1910 and 2310 are not required by me. I am more concern on what they claimed on the audio processing of 1610 is inferior for kef3005se speakers.

Himedia HD300D players seems to be good in video decoding, however, I am not sure on their audio capability. it will be waste money to connect them to good speakers where you can't hear any differences.

My Questions:

1) Any advice on my setup?

2) Comments on Himedia HD300D audio capability?

3) Denon 1610 good enough for kef3005se?

Thanks in advance! :)

The KEF KHT3005SE seem a rather good speaker system which should be somewhat higher than entry level with that pricing. Therefore, it should go with the Denon 2310 considering the power and better SQ chip. I believe you could go a long way with the Denon 2310 instead of 1610. It is not "balanced" if you go with 1610 if you ask me.

Careful of the Realtek 1073 chipsets media player as they seem cannot decode TrueHD or DTS-MA when you play BD-ISO. They may not even be able to passthrough the TrueHD or DTS-MA to your amp for decoding. They recognize the HD audio as "unknown format".

Do not go for the "wait for the firmware or license" thinking as it may never happen.

Currently, i have a Kaiboer NMT K200 sitting at a corner collecting dust cos it cannot play rmvb or BD-ISO but strangely it can passthrough HD audio! lol

Go for HTPC to stop upgrading the media player forever(or for 2 years if you know what i mean!)

Just my 2cts opinion! :)

Guest sasay1980

The KEF KHT3005SE seem a rather good speaker system which should be somewhat higher than entry level with that pricing. Therefore, it should go with the Denon 2310 considering the power and better SQ chip. I believe you could go a long way with the Denon 2310 instead of 1610. It is not "balanced" if you go with 1610 if you ask me.

Careful of the Realtek 1073 chipsets media player as they seem cannot decode TrueHD or DTS-MA when you play BD-ISO. They may not even be able to passthrough the TrueHD or DTS-MA to your amp for decoding. They recognize the HD audio as "unknown format".

Do not go for the "wait for the firmware or license" thinking as it may never happen.

Currently, i have a Kaiboer NMT K200 sitting at a corner collecting dust cos it cannot play rmvb or BD-ISO but strangely it can passthrough HD audio! lol

Go for HTPC to stop upgrading the media player forever(or for 2 years if you know what i mean!)

Just my 2cts opinion! :)

Hi Fumio,

Thanks for your reply. Kef3005se is running on 5.1 speakers. To take full advantage of TrueHD sound requires 7.1 speakers. Moreover, from HD300D website http://www.playsmartsg.net/blog/?p=653, it do support DTS-HDMA. Do correct me if i am wrong.

As for Denon 2310, I may consider due to the SQ chip, however, I may not be using alot of it's features i.e. 7.1 channel, additional hdmi ports, video upscaling, multizoning etc. As for power wise, kef3005se power handling is 100w. Some said SAT 8ohm speakers may not require very high power. Also Denon 2310 cost more than twice of 1610, not sure if the difference is significant enough for the price.

Pretty confused.  ???

I do not think that the only advantage of trueHD is because of 2 more channel. you need to google more bro. hehe.

Go read at MPC club and you might find your answer for the 1073 chip problem. If you go ahead with the 1073 chip player, be sure to play a TrueHD/DTS-MA BD-ISO to confirm if it can passthrough to the Denon 2310 amp micheal has at the shop.

For the Denon 1610, nevertheless, you must go google about the power rating. it is always better to have "over" rather than "under" powered. But be sure that you will not upgrade your speaker anymore or you might have to change your amp again the the near future.

Good luck in your quest! :)

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sasay1980

I will be getting 3-4 sets of kef3005se with amp together with some forumers. Let me know if any of you wanna join in and nego for better deal. The deal is definitely better than single purchase. We probably will get it next weekend, let me know asap.

I am not really sure "decoding" of HD codecs is really a big deal for media players as long as your AVR can do the decoding.

That said, I know desray sold his Realtek player because he had heard something in the grapevine abt its limitation. I suspect the -200 range of PCH players may be a better bet.

In any case, if you don't mind my bluntness, buying a fairly decent system to play ONLY p*****d media IMHO is a real waste of money. No matter how good the chipsets are, there's always the odd frame drops or stuttering that IMHO detracts from a pristine audio and video experience. Plus the pain of downloading 30-50GB of media if you use REMUXd or BR rips. Anything else is really a pale shadow. And the pain of looking for storage to keep them in archive.

Get yourself a decent BR player. They aren't that expensive any more. And you pick up bargains from either preowned BR titles or off Amazon. Or rentals. There are definitely movies worth keeping.

ps Onkyo's x08 range is due to be released soon. These are HDMI 1.4 and 3D ready should you plan to upgrade yr display to match eventually. I think on the entry/mid range level, the Onkyos can punch as hard as the Denons for HT but are often much better value for money.

Guest sasay1980

Thanks for your reply. I have decided in getting Popcorn a200 (sigma) chipset instead of himedia.

I thought the media player can actually replace the need of having a blueray player. When rental of blueray's disc i can just copy it to my media player HD. I always tot sigma chipset provides good image and sound quality. Is it inferior compared to blue ray players?

Of the implementations I have seen, the odd frame drops still occurs.. even with USB/direct HDD links, much less networked. And it doesn't seem to be repeatable so it looks like the chipset/bus is running out of bandwidth at different points.

Don't get me wrong, these are much better than say XVIDs or MPEG2s of old, but I just don't think it does the system justice, that's all.

If you are going to be renting the discs, then just watch them off the disc and not a ripped one off yr HDD.

If the discs are real keepers, buy the original.

Welcome to XP bro

You have chosen where to place your speakers already, so I assume you need to work within certain constraints. Otherwise the speaker placement thread will give you good advice.

As for the choice of amps, all 3 will give you sound in a reasonable small place, the higher power ones will add a bit more headroom, but your speakers are not hard to drive. And if expandability are not in question the 5.1 channel 1610 will be fine in the space, although if money is not an issue, I always buy a little more power.

I will be getting 3-4 sets of kef3005se with amp together with some forumers. Let me know if any of you wanna join in and nego for better deal. The deal is definitely better than single purchase. We probably will get it next weekend, let me know asap.

You posted on a few places that you have a few friends involved, how many do you have now bro? Can you share the price?

Thanks for your reply. I have decided in getting Popcorn a200 (sigma) chipset instead of himedia.

I thought the media player can actually replace the need of having a blueray player. When rental of blueray's disc i can just copy it to my media player HD. I always tot sigma chipset provides good image and sound quality. Is it inferior compared to blue ray players?

You know that this is illegal right and our forum does not promote illegal things?

Take a moment to read the stickies, which will lead you to threads with vast amounts of info and using the search button will also help you unearth lots of info which has already been posted before and allows you a basis on which you can do some homework and get that answer you seek.

If something still puzzles you, then post again.

Cheers

Guest sasay1980

Sorry for the illegal portion. Usually I will delete the file after i watch it.  ;D

So far will be getting 6 sets of kef3005 and amps. The quote I got is definitely cheaper than single purchase. Serious ppl who wanna join the the purchase can PM me.