De-Lite Amplifier

U227

This is a Depletion-mode FET, Single-ended Class A amplifier, no negative feedback, current source output and glows in the dark. The circuit is based on Nelson Pass De-Lite Amp.

This amp was completed during last December. Today I added 2 extra light bulbs.

The new 6 light bulbs De-lite Amplifier is much better sound than before.

The amp sounds warm and detail with my Coral Flat 10 fullrange speakers.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very surprisingly good sounding amp, and even more shocking to know that it is unlike Mosfets which run like they can boil water... ;) ;D i hate to admit that it has the DHT signature..haha :D

so u have put in more bulbs? the bulbs act like a constant current load...so additional bulbs have raised the standing current drawn. Has the thermal dissipation been raised substantially ? i am asking that because it seems like u have changed it back to the larger heatsinks.

This is a very surprisingly good sounding amp, and even more shocking to know that it is unlike Mosfets which run like they can boil water... ;) ;D i hate to admit that it has the DHT signature..haha :D

so u have put in more bulbs? the bulbs act like a constant current load...so additional bulbs have raised the standing current drawn. Has the thermal dissipation been raised substantially ? i am asking that because it seems like u have changed it back to the larger heatsinks.

The new version amp is very much hotter than before. thats why I changed to a bigger heatsink.

Even with the larger heatsinks, you can only put your hand on it for 10 sec. The distortion is much lower than before and it sounds so much better.

I'm looking forward to hearing this lastest version... as I understand form Tony.. it's much better now. Here's the link to the De-Lite amplifer by Nelson Pass on the Diyaudio..

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/160464-de-lite-amplifier.html

William. I will bring this Amp to your house next week  I am very sure that the sound will be very good with your Feastrix Field Coil speakers.

• 1 month later...

for fun and keep sake.

keeping them just like my tube collection probably

dont know why i need so many pairs too :P if its interesting sounding i might build one

i dunno what u meant by interesting sounding but i feel that this amp is worth trying after a couple hours listening to it. It has a tube like quality , which is expected of ClassA amps. None of the shrills and glaze i hear from some sand gears. full-bodied and bloomy midrange after they are around 1hr into tthe heat of the standing current.

both.. four of each

Where did you purchased from? I had ordered 2 pcs of IXTH20N50D and 4 pcs of IXTH6N50D2 from TeaBag (DiyAudio.com GB). But I still haven't receive them.

My present De-Lite Amp is using IXTH20N50D and I am waiting to try out IXTH6N50D2.

I would like to invite you and others for an audition.

Please email me and arrange for audition.

banhockinv@yahoo.com

There is an audition tomorrow 3.00pm. Call me if you like to joint the audition.

contact 94894783 Tony

many thanks to tony for hosting me at his place today.

the delite amp sounds fabulous, particularly with the feastrex, warm, detailed, a tube like sound with much better bass control and definition.. absolutely interesting!

2 days ago, I modify this amp to higher voltage, Now the B+ is 75V.

The sound is much better than before. Strong-detailed-controled bass, mega-brutal dynamic, incredible fine micro details and excellent 3D sound stage. The music simply alive in the listening room!!!

I have never listened or felt such a good presence feeling!

now i understand why u are building it on an open board. u are still experimenting with different operation conditions.

what was the previous operating B+? Are the heatsinks still good enough with the increased voltage and stand current?