Onkyo 5007 vs Yamaha Z7

Hi all,

Does anyone have first hand experience with both or either of these units? I am looking to consolidate AV and audio into one space (well aware there may be tradeoffs on the audio) but hoping someone has some info on how they sound musically. I will be selling off a very nice 2 channel setup for space saving unfortunately but dont want to completely lose good 2 channel performance. I am expecting they are both priced quite similarly and around the $4k mark is my budget - so any others that are strong on 2 channel to include?

Thanks!

John

I had the same idea of downsizing my equipment list and did away with my separate stereo setup some months back. Hence, I bought the Onkyo 5507 (similar to the 5007 but without the power amps) and paired with a Wyred4sound 5 channels 220w/8ohm Class D amp (class D amps are wonder space savers too) using XLR interconnects. Won't result in $avings though as my power amp costs more than my 5507 and also have to upgrade my stereo speakers as I discovered that my old speakers would also be a quality mismatch.

You won't feel any significant sound downgrade from a low/mid-end stereo setup if you paired a high-end AVR (with toroidal transformer which both the 5507/5007 have) with a good power amp combination.Just try to maintain a balance level of quality equipment and avoid too much equipment price/quality disparity along the signal path. Be careful that a small upgrade here or there could easily lead to escalating cost if the remaining equipment needs to play catchup.  :P

Some ppl prefer to use HT bypass but my main objective is to reduce equipment and clutters.

Thanks for the comments - yes its not the first time i go through the cycle. My 2 channel is based around an Audiospace Reference 3.1 and Proac Response speakers. Tough to give up...I have a set of very old but never to be sold deftech speakers, original BP30's and i may slide the proac's into place or sell them off too, but i dont need more than 5.1 setup (one day a dedicated room of proper proportions may change that).

Key thing is the music sound - the BP30's have found themselves in 2 channel duty and have always held their own under the right amplification so the HT AVR needs to be both musical (maybe i need to throw marantz into the mix) and grunty. Wonder is any shop doing try and buy so i can try out the amp in my home?