Modding amp

Just curious does anyone mod their amp to increase their reserve capacity by wacking in a bigger transformer (example 1500-3000VA) w/o actually changing the original sound signature? Does this actually increase the power output? 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious does anyone mod their amp to increase their reserve capacity by wacking in a bigger transformer (example 1500-3000VA) w/o actually changing the original sound signature? Does this actually increase the power output? 

lemme give u an analogy... Imagine ur house water supply comes from a reservoir... If one increases the reservoir size without upsizing the pipelines and tap size do you think you'll get more water supply? I say either nothing change or your pipe or tap will burst!  :-p

lemme give u an analogy... Imagine ur house water supply comes from a reservoir... If one increases the reservoir size without upsizing the pipelines and tap size do you think you'll get more water supply? I say either nothing change or your pipe or tap will burst!  :-p

Then by right, if what you say is true, Naim's HiCAP accessory is a rip off.

It is. Naim stuff are never cheap.That's why you have TeddyCaps, Avondale TPX etc. :-P

But power supply upgrades are not just about upsizing. it's also about having cleaner supply, hence Naim's approach to having elaborate regulation on power supply when going up ladder.

Then by right, if what you say is true, Naim's HiCAP accessory is a rip off.

It is. Naim stuff are never cheap.That's why you have TeddyCaps, Avondale TPX etc. :-P

But power supply upgrades are not just about upsizing. it's also about having cleaner supply, hence Naim's approach to having elaborate regulation on power supply when going up ladder.

I knew that but it does prey on a Naim owner's subconscious; more is better. Brilliant marketing if you were to ask me.  ;D

Anyway, if one ups the current handling of the power transformer (bigger VA ratings), you will get better current delivery headroom. However, this improvement will depend on whether the design includes any current limiting/constant current in its circuit. If it does, no matter how much current you add, it won't make much, if any, difference. This is to protect yr devices from going up in smoke.

If your current is too low, you transistors will be distorting earlier. If there is too much current, your devices may overheat and go BANG!!

It is brilliant marketing which I agree. Cutting corners on stock ps to sell at lower price and make available better ps upgrades. You get a steady stream of upgraders. Don't get me wrong ....I am not Naim bashing. I like Naim and accept it's their marketing strategy. :-P

U hit the nail. That was my point earlier. Upsizing tranny alone doesnt bring about anything if nothing change downstream and that the amplification circuits downstream already got the current that it requires which generally I believe most commercial amps are designed as such. And my point about upsizing pipes or taps was analogous to changing the gain of the amplification and not knowing if the transistors are up to it. One is treading on dangerous grounds here.

I knew that but it does prey on a Naim owner's subconscious; more is better. Brilliant marketing if you were to ask me.  ;D

Anyway, if one ups the current handling of the power transformer (bigger VA ratings), you will get better current delivery headroom. However, this improvement will depend on whether the design includes any current limiting/constant current in its circuit. If it does, no matter how much current you add, it won't make much, if any, difference. This is to protect yr devices from going up in smoke.

If your current is too low, you transistors will be distorting earlier. If there is too much current, your devices may overheat and go BANG!!

so usually only caps and a separate psu are done on the amp? 

people do all sort of mods on their power amps.  Upgrade the power cable, internal wiring, change caps, resistors in key areas, opamps, regulators and on and on... ByBees if you are into it... case upgrade, feet upgrade...

I have also been reading an Australian DIY blog that's got all sorts of examples.  This one here. http://bursonaudioblog.blogspot.com/

Perhaps do a star-ground voltage regulator?  ;) And I like the dual mono power supply ideal. Cheers.

star gnd is just a good practise to prevent ground loop.no need to single it out as a special type of regulator circuit.

One very critical area in amp design is heat management. For example,  naim 250 and 135 monos uses exact same amplifier modules but the monos have bigger tranny and reservoir caps with better heat sink and fan. My point is sometimes the transistors are able to be driven harder if the transistors doesn't go into over heat.

star gnd is just a good practise to prevent ground loop.no need to single it out as a special type of regulator circuit.

One very critical area in amp design is heat management. For example,  naim 250 and 135 monos uses exact same amplifier modules but the monos have bigger tranny and reservoir caps with better heat sink and fan. My point is sometimes the transistors are able to be driven harder if the transistors doesn't go into over heat.

Well, if one doesn't know what to mod, it helps to highlight what is a good practise.  :D In no way did I mentioned that it's as a special type of regulator circuit!

Well, if one doesn't know what to mod, it helps to highlight what is a good practise.  :D In no way did I mentioned that it's as a special type of regulator circuit!

Actually having the circuit diagram helps and knowing how to read it. Also must have good soldering/desoldering skills.

I see recommendations on how to improve the sound quality, but not recommendations on how to increase max output power.

To increase max output power is straightforward, just increase the ratings of everything - bigger VA and voltage transformers, parts that can handle greater current and voltage or more of them in parallel, bigger heatsinks.

Also, compared to changing anything not related to the power supply, changing things related to the power supply have less changes to the sound signature.

Bro go read your post again. I rest my case. Dun wanna nitpick. My point still remains star grounding is good practise across any amp or preamp design, not just voltage regulators.

One upsizes tranny, heatsinks, caps with the intent to increase the transistor feedback for higher gain to generate more watts. Probably that wasnt mention earlier.

I see recommendations on how to improve the sound quality, but not recommendations on how to increase max output power.

To increase max output power is straightforward, just increase the ratings of everything - bigger VA and voltage transformers, parts that can handle greater current and voltage or more of them in parallel, bigger heatsinks.

Also, compared to changing anything not related to the power supply, changing things related to the power supply have less changes to the sound signature.

Nope. Depends on your transistors or tubes current handling. If they have been maxed, increasing either would only lead to catastrophic failure. You might as well get a new amplifier.

Bro go read your post again. I rest my case. Dun wanna nitpick. My point still remains star grounding is good practise across any amp or preamp design, not just voltage regulators.

Peace bro.  :D

In a case whereby tube amps use 12at7 as driver/input tubes, changing it to 12ax7 would surely damage the amp in the long run. So which part of tube amp should one mod in order to get the higher gain?