MacMini as a headless iTunes server

I have some 24bit audio files that my Duet can't play. Squeezecenter also completely misses out whole songs from my iTunes, primarily those with Chinese/Korean characters in them. Squeezecenter Support says they are going to fix it in 7.5. In the meantime...

I am trying to see if I can use a MacMini for this purpose. But this is for the hifi set and I don't really want a monitor there. I was wondering if I could use the iPhone to control the MacMini and use a mini interface to select songs I want to play.

Is there any app like this?

ps has anyone converted the Beatles 24bit FLAC to 24bit ALAC?

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to see if I can use a MacMini for this purpose. But this is for the hifi set and I don't really want a monitor there. I was wondering if I could use the iPhone to control the MacMini and use a mini interface to select songs I want to play.

Is there any app like this?

Free iPhone app:

"Remote" - only can access to iTune

"iRemote" - wireless remote for Mac

Beside Macmini, can try Apple TV. http://store.apple.com/sg/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv?mco=MTAyNTQzMjU

Are you sure? I think the mac version does.

The appletv does not support USB dac

well, itunes can playback 24bit files but it is not by default, that's all. :)

i highlighted this as you may need to do manual importing, rather than leaving it as a pure headless unit and just pop CDs into it to import automatically.

to me its a bigger concern cos it will cause issues when syncing with the ipod, but otherwise should be fine.

This can be done very easily.

You leave Mac Mini in your system.  You take another laprtop and use screen sharing.  You will have the Mac Mini's screen on your laptop (ok, not laptop but Macbook) and you can open iTunes and manage your playlist.

I think I will do this as soon as I give up with my Mac Mini Server.....I will just put it into the room as a music server.

Dammn, what is the www root directory??!!!

(Audio)

You leave Mac Mini in your system.  You take another laprtop and use screen sharing.  You will have the Mac Mini's screen on your laptop (ok, not laptop but Macbook) and you can open iTunes and manage your playlist.

I think I will do this as soon as I give up with my Mac Mini Server.....I will just put it into the room as a music server.

Dammn, what is the www root directory??!!!

(Audio)

too bad ipad can't do this, else the big color screen will come in handy :)

(Audio)

Do you connect your Mac Mini to monitor, mouse etc? The screen sharing is preset? 

Mac Mini, you can just leave in your rack....not connected to anything except your power and maybe the optical 3.5mm plug to your system.

You then control your Mac Mini with your MacBook via Wireless.

Say, your Mac Mini IP address is 192.168.1.35.

Go to your MacBook finder-> Go To->Connect to Server

Type in Mac Mini IP.

Open a new finder window, now you got your Mac Mini in your left column, click on it.

This will open a new window with "Screen Sharing".....Click "Screen Sharing"

Your MAc Mini screen will appear o your Macbook and you can control your Mac Mini from your MacBook.

(Audio)

Beauty of Apple.....

Of course, you can do the same with Windows' Remote Desktop Connection, but not as refine.

Mac Mini, you can just leave in your rack....not connected to anything except your power and maybe the optical 3.5mm plug to your system.

You then control your Mac Mini with your MacBook via Wireless.

Say, your Mac Mini IP address is 192.168.1.35.

Go to your MacBook finder-> Go To->Connect to Server

Type in Mac Mini IP.

Open a new finder window, now you got your Mac Mini in your left column, click on it.

This will open a new window with "Screen Sharing".....Click "Screen Sharing"

Your MAc Mini screen will appear o your Macbook and you can control your Mac Mini from your MacBook.

(Audio)

Beauty of Apple.....

Of course, you can do the same with Windows' Remote Desktop Connection, but not as refine.

Thanks for the info.

came across 1 user using exactly like Audio mentions with screen sharing. didn't know about this feature but looks like a good solution for u. :) sound quality also is supposedly quite good. i have a TOD2 if u want to borrow btw.

http://www.odysseyaudiohk.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1265526786

another comparison:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Mac-Mini-or-Sonos

This doesn't involve Macs or iTunes so it's almost totally OT  ;), but an alternative in the Windows world is to use foobar2000 on the PC with the foo_httpcontrol component (available from the Hydrogenaudio forum). Essentially it runs a webserver on the foobar PC and you access it via Wi-Fi on the iPhone. There are various skins, including one that looks just like the iPod app on the iPhone.

And of course foobar2000 plays a wide variety of formats including 24/96 flac. I think it can play higher res music, but I am hardware limited  :-[

"Remote" - only can access to iTune

Tried this just now on my PC iTunes. Works PERFECTLY. And seems incredibly well-integrated into iTunes.

It's EXACTLY what I am looking for.

I guess can try running an eeeBox for this either as Win7 or Hackintosh. It does require converting my FLAC files to AIFF/ALAC tho.

Most of my collection are in ALAC. But Beatles USB is FLAC and most online music only offers FLAC.

Ray mentioned converting to AIFF will improve the SQ. But I believe only iTunes mac supports AIFF right? Not PC iTunes. PC supports WAV which sounds better but WAV does not support ID tags (album info, artists, tracknames etc). I think AIFF does.

I know if you set iTunes to rip to AIFF, you can do batch convert of yr library from ALAC to AIFF just by selecting whole library then right mouse click/Convert to AIFF.

Q: how do you do a mass delete of the older ALAC files after this conversion. More importantly, how do you replace the playlists with the AIFF versions.