WTB: sonus faber, dynaudio ???

Guest deedee

some tips for u,

1. Where is your system to be set up ? living room or normal typical hdb room ? ( This will help you to decide a small/large system e.g speaker, amp, cables length and finally lead to the  - Budget. : )

2. What type of sound quality you prefer ? ( Clear and sweet / warm and melllow /Dynamic and articulate sound. )

3. How loud do you play usaully ? ( i.e your listening habit )

4. Your type of music. ( you have stated.: )  )

Regards,

D.P

pls specify your spk type. floorstander or bookshelf ? both have entry level models to high end models. difficult to recommend cos the range is too wide. : ) some e.g ok ? ( Sorry, just my preference and experience sharing only.  :) )

Entry level - tannoy,wharferdale,monitor audio,clean sweet sound.  TDL,Mission,A.E,More bass and dynamic. Mordant short and  rogers r darker and mellow. ( GENERALLY u.k has better sound and value for money in this range when compare to u.s or other europe brands.)

Mid range - Higher range or floostanders of above models. plus . . Quad,ROGERS LS3/5A,harbeth,spendor r warm mellow sound. Platinum solo. AE1,ATC,sonus faber,B&W,totem,dynaudio r punchy and dynamic. ProAc,focus audio r warm and sweet. ( Generally u need to match with quality amps,sources and cables in mid range, n it means cost more. )

Hi end      - Auditioned and locked the sound quality in my mind only. Never own before. Too ex ! : ) Rank from VENTURE,watt/puppy,rockport,focus audio,sonus faber,mbl,Genesis G5,verity audio Taminos,marten,thiel etc.( once again,my own preference only.  : p )

Hi All, interested to setup a stereo system. any recommend?   :D

i listen to pop/ yanni, kitaro and some clasical music.

Budget is very important if u want someone to recommend u a setup. Let us have an idea on how much u r willing to spend so that we can have a better feel on wat to recommend. I once recommended someone a 2k setup only to know that he is willing to spend 10k :-[

Really maloo man  :)

hahaha! well say bro !  :) so what's the system that "the someone " finally purchased ? intersting !  :)

Not really a close friend so did not check with him what did he buy. Just tell him to bring the 10k with him n go Adelfi to listen. With 10k I guess he can listen to quite some stuff there.

hi dede,

u mentioned to have clean sweet sound spk b4, i think ATC & Totem dun suit u. Cos it is more body and dark if . . . u u dun feed them beefy power. lets analyse again,

1. ATC- Famous for beautiful sweet , attractive vocal and punch but  . . . need to spend more money in amp matching to make it sings . . . else . . . its sound will be  very dark and liveless. amp? hehe . . krell or any hi current QUALITY SOLIDSTATE amp.  tube amp Mostly dun drive it well. Matching factor, not brands.

2. Totem - As above, Tube amp produces slow and fat bass. Lacks low frequency definition/texture. Sound/match more friendly than ATC. Punchy and warm sound. Not so sweet. : )

3. Dynaudio - Lively, open and dynamic if  . . u feed them well too. can be a bit too lively and bright at time.. good for pop/new age music. Vocal . . ok lah . .! : )

4. Sonus faber - Body, warm, sound. Even Entry level models are easy to drive when partner with solid state amp. Big bass, smooth vocal and music. Friendly with tube amps also. But solid state bring  better details and sweeter sound.

sonus faber entry level. concerto, concertino are less fussy. electra series and above are very very fussy. ProAc and F.A need tube amps. Else it wont sing sweetly . . hehe! so separate spk for diff usage or combine ht/hifi . . ? Must consider WHOLE sys set up carefully. Else will beat around the bush, waste x, waste money . . .and kek sim ( heartpain) somemore . . ! : )

u save m in spk but then have to spend more on Amp. consider . .  ? : ) so far, for what i know,denon av amp delivers more hi current.

i know nothing in other brands, e.g yamaha, pionner etc. i bot marantz av amp is  . . sweet warm sound when plays music as pre amp/tuner. i watch movies once a while only. : ) warm solid state amp. : ) it is soft a bit when play movie. to me, is enough already. : )

after paper talk, nx thing to do is go audition, hunt for your spk and other things. do it as much as possble. . n u will find the BEST spk that suits u. . cheers ! : )

i feel that this discussion has been held in the wrong thread....shldnt this be at Planet Audio or somewhere other then Planet Audio Equipment Sales, especially when thread starter does not even have a specific speaker/model/budget to splurge?

;)