Commercial DAC with Sabre 32bit DACs

I really really am getting quite hooked with the sound of the Oppo SE and am contemplating if I should swap the Benchmark for a new DAC using the same chipset as the SE.

Are there any commercially available ones with the same chips/configurations?

I recall the SE uses multiple stacked DAC per channel to improve the SNR.

Not sure if others do the same?

I believe Peachtree also uses Sabre DACs but not sure if it is the same ones. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds cool. Who's the distributor for W4S? Is it Raindrop?

EDIT - just checked. It is Raindrop.

NICE. It's the higher rated ES9018 I think.

The HDMI is for I2S. I think that's the same implementation in the PerfectWave combo but doubt it works for normal BR/DVDA stuff.

The peachtree nova is using the last gen ES9006 24bit/192kHz chip but they are also saying that their new dac/pre based on basically an improved nova w/o the amp is going to use either the ES9016 or ES9018 and is going to cost south of USD1000. So this new improved version looks very interesting on paper.

That's why thinking whether should hold off purchase on the Nova or not.  :P

yup. had been waiting for the peachtree dac for quite awhile now, especially since the nova seems to do a decent job as a dac.

unfortunately the feedback i got is that peachtree tend to be a little slow come to development and manufacturing..

I’m thinking, Oppo SE can also act like a standalone DAC … by ripping CD as lossless to external HDD then plug it to the USB port of Oppo … using it this way Oppo function more or less like a DAC … if using thumb drive with no mechanical moving part I guess it may sound even better

I am doing this now with a Samsung 1TB HDD connected with USB to Denon 4310. CD's ripped in Flac and cant tell any difference from pure direct analog out from std Oppo to the Denon. I believe the DAC in 4310 is on par with base Oppo at least..

Oppo cant play Flac or any other lossless formats as far as I understand, but would be very interesting if this can be fixed with firmware, especially with SE version as you suggest.

I’m thinking, Oppo SE can also act like a standalone DAC … by ripping CD as lossless to external HDD then plug it to the USB port of Oppo … using it this way Oppo function more or less like a DAC … if using thumb drive with no mechanical moving part I guess it may sound even better

There are two possible reasons why the USB HDD doesn't work:

a. it needs to be in FAT32 format. Most are in NTFS. Oppo doesn't see NTFS

b. it needs more juice. Some HDDs provide a dual-head USB port so one is for data/power and the other gets more juice from a second port.

That said, the Oppo does not playback FLAC or ALAC either so that is a bit more limited. And frankly, using low bitrate MP3s on this new DAC doesn't do it justice. IMHO.

Sorta like using photoshop to enlarge a photo. It's a bit softer in terms of image quality but higher resolution than the original.

And some recording appear to sound brighter & sharper. Some may like while others dont.

Buffalo II is still based on ES9018 but it's supposed to be a "tweakers" board as it comes without an I/V stage, in other words, more flexibility.  ;)

The previous Buffalo32 has both the DAC & the I/V stage integrated in 1 single PCB board.

How is this different from the one released earlier? IIRC it was also based on the ES9018

• 2 months later...