Media player

If you are looking for a media player to support HD movies with HD Audio then opt for the Sigma based device and dont waste your hard-earned dollars for the Realtek based players.

Another pointer would be an active community for that player where you can ask for help if you are facing problems.

• 4 months later...

Reviving this topic because I'm now interested in getting one. ;D

After trawling this planet, I see that there is no longer any discussion of many of the earlier players: Kaiboer, Xtreamer, Amoi etc.

I see only recent talk of Popcorn and AC Ryan, sigman/realteck debate.

What would your recommendation be for a newbie?

As u can see, the most discussion threads are on the sigma based players, the most dominated ones will be the 8642/43 A200 n C200, dune 3.0, M3, N3 cause they are more powerful in term of specs as compare to realtek players 1073/1283 such as xtreamer, ac ryan. No point buying the older 8634/35 models now. If u r looking for below $300 or below $200 nmt, then u need to go for realtek, else the sigma ones will cost $318 to $500 without HDD. The newer ones 8646/47 will be launch end of 2010.

If u watch a lot of RMVB, then u can forget the sigma players cause they can only play, CANNOT rewind or Forward.

sigma 8642/43 : 667Mhz, 512mb ram

sigma 8646/47 : 800mhz

realtek 1073DD/1073DD+/1283/1283+ : 400Mhz, 256Mb, xtremer, Ac rayan, xtremer pro, the 1073+/1283+ will support the new HD audio like DTS HDMA, dolby true but need to confirm these.

Depends on the setup u have at home, nas, network, stream n the type of movies u have collected, bdmv, iso, if u want full menu BD, then u can only buy sigma base 8642/43, I think all the realtek players cannot support this feature, buy what u need, dont buy what u want. There r many bros here holding different nmt, u can 'visit' them if its convenient for u to have a feel. But once u buy it, dont cry father cry mother if things dont work as what u want. Every nmt got bugs, its a matter how big the bugs are. There r some bros here supporting only 1 brand, so when u ask them, its only that brand they will recommend. Lastly, welcome to the HD family.

realtek players list for yr 2010

http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php?sort=sortdate&chip=realtek&pfilt=&hdd=&net=&fan=&lcd=&dts=&dtsp=&dolbt=&dolbtp=no&dtsma=&dtsmap=&year=2010&ppp=40&bd=&dvd=&netflix=&pg=1&rp=crealtek

sigma players list for yr 2010

http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php?sort=sortdate&chip=sig4&pfilt=&hdd=&net=&fan=&dts=&dtsp=&dolbt=&dolbtp=no&dtsma=&dtsmap=&year=&ppp=40&pg=1&rp=csigma4

Getting a media players today is very confusing especially when they are stacking on the shelves everywhere these days and is so affordable as compared to four years ago.

However, getting the right player is taunting especially with the less inexpensive alternative Chinese players but would they be still around actively after a year or two?

Waterzoo's and tertm141's comments are valid and personally, the product must have a lively community in addition to regular firmware updates and "future techologoy" proof. A damn good example is ps3..

IMO, based on past experience with HDX and present experience Elektron, Popcorn and lastly the Realtek based Xtreamer, the best bet today based on price, features and brand available here are:

1) Popcorn A-200

2) Popcorn C-200

3) HDI Dune 3.0

If you prefer to have eyeballs to eyeballs realtime experience with Elektron, Popcorn and Xtreamer, you are most welcome to feel and touch them. Also, fyi,  the same jukebox applies for the Sigma chipset based players which is "ported" from the HDX to Popcorn and Elektron.

Sorry .. I don't support brands which "steal" or using someone else firmware and so far they are  known/suspected to use firmware from other brands by their own doing eg

1) eGreat eg-s2

2) Allure M3

3) Kaiboer K8 and BD-200

4) iStar BDP-S600

Sorry to have hijacked this thread. But is there a media player that comes with a display that will let u play back Networked wav file easily without turning on the tv? Have used hdx1000, elektron 606, xtreamer, eaget m880, all not up to expectionc in this regard. I thot my Denon amp Front display interface fares better when playing back wav file, but no Chinese display  :(

Sorry to have hijacked this thread. But is there a media player that comes with a display that will let u play back Networked wav file easily without turning on the tv? Have used hdx1000, elektron 606, xtreamer, eaget m880, all not up to expectionc in this regard. I thot my Denon amp Front display interface fares better when playing back wav file, but no Chinese display  :(

The C-200 has a display panel which you can select the folder or the files from the unit thumbnail control. The last time I tried was playing a flac file without the TV on but cant remember if it is able from the remote.

Will revert as I am now at my in-law place for lunch.

The C-200 has a display panel which you can select the folder or the files from the unit thumbnail control. The last time I tried was playing a flac file without the TV on but cant remember if it is able from the remote.

Will revert as I am now at my in-law place for lunch.

confirmed can play with the remote without having the TV power on. ;D

Actually all I want to do is this:

1.   Archive my dvd collection into a hdd and play it. (have tried this todate, limited success only (another tale...))

2.   Download HD movies into hdd and play. (yet to try this, again for another thread)

3.   Play music, photos and personal videos stored on hdd.

Actually I already have a ps3 and I am using it as media player mostly. But I believe it has various limitations and does not support various audio/video formats. And it looks like no one here is using it as a media player, so difficult to get info/help. That's why the itchiness to try a dedicated media player. But the more I read about sigma/realtek and the various players, the more confused I get. I really do not need another brick for my shelf... :-\

PS. RMVB is mainly Chinese media content, right? I dont need it. I'm only looking to play English movies, probably not even TV programmes.. where go time...!

The C-200 has a display panel which you can select the folder or the files from the unit thumbnail control. The last time I tried was playing a flac file without the TV on but cant remember if it is able from the remote.Will revert as I am now at my in-law place for lunch.

Awesome, thanks bro waterzoo and sunblock. So the front LCD actually display the folder list including chinese character?

So in terms of usability aspect, it can replace a dedicated cd player, except of course need to browse the folder by -> artist -> album -> song title to select songs this way? (200GBs of WAV files already arranged this way in the HDD)

No serious lag or other issues? Can it do ALL files random playback as well...(i know i am being greedy, i guessed i am too much pampered by the easy to use iphone Remote of my itunes...except that i intend to use a nmt as a ALL-in one digital transport to output 24/192 as well, not a killer but will help make with the decision if that is possible.)

Thanks...

If u r looking for below $300 or below $200 nmt, then u need to go for realtek, else the sigma ones will cost $318 to $500 without HDD. The newer ones 8646/47 will be launch end of 2010.

If you order online, A200 should only be around S$280.

Awesome, thanks bro waterzoo and sunblock. So the front LCD actually display the folder list including chinese character?

So in terms of usability aspect, it can replace a dedicated cd player, except of course need to browse the folder by -> artist -> album -> song title to select songs this way? (200GBs of WAV files already arranged this way in the HDD)

No serious lag or other issues? Can it do ALL files random playback as well...(i know i am being greedy, i guessed i am too much pampered by the easy to use iphone Remote of my itunes...except that i intend to use a nmt as a ALL-in one digital transport to output 24/192 as well, not a killer but will help make with the decision if that is possible.)

Thanks...

Yep .. including chinese character. It displays Japanese as well as Chinese Characters eg: アンジェラ·アキ (Angela·Aki) .-.[愛の季節].单曲 and 周虹.-.[新小城故事].专辑

There wont be any lag or latency delay since the music files are stored in the hdd or likewise from the NAS. However, playback randomly is not possible as this isnt a feature for the C-200 but believe this is possible with a firmware update. Have no idea if this feature is on the request list.

Yep .. including chinese character. It displays Japanese as well as Chinese Characters eg: アンジェラ·アキ (Angela·Aki) .-.[愛の季節].单曲 and 周虹.-.[新小城故事].专辑

There wont be any lag or latency delay since the music files are stored in the hdd or likewise from the NAS. However, playback randomly is not possible as this isnt a feature for the C-200 but believe this is possible with a firmware update. Have no idea if this feature is on the request list.

Thanks bro... ;D

If you order online, A200 should only be around S$280.

If u r not comfortable with online order, u can pick up the A200 at $318, else now I think is us179 for online order without shipment, usd also drop a lot nowdays.Some bros like the convenient of the local shop when there is a problem n needs to be returned for repair. I used to own an ehp 606 n was hopping to get the next pop corn hour but it comes with plastic n fan n the C200 is way too big for me to carry around, thats y I had opt for the M3. Anyway, given the way technology moves nowadays, next yr the new 8646/47 models should be out by then.

New Media

ServTouch-Wywy (Singapore) Pte Ltd

20 Bendemeer Road, 5th Floor

Singapore 339914

Tel: 65 6213 6018

Email: sales@popcornhour.com.sg

Thanks for helping me out confirming this and for those users waiting for the movie jukebox ... be patience as there are rumours that it is on beta testing now.

This means it will be available soon.!  ::)

• 4 weeks later...

Hope to ask smthg... If I have my hts: avr, speakers n sub & I wanna play blu ray, which is my best option?

Thinking of gettin Oppo 83, so will It be stupid to get the Dune 3.0 too? As it have Ethernet port, I could have a router connected to it n wirelessly get content from NAS server?

Is dat how it works? Or I have a hdd built into it n transfer contents (dunno whether wireless transfer possible)

I read quite a number of threads n yet to confirm these doubts. Thx!

Hope to ask smthg... If I have my hts: avr, speakers n sub & I wanna play blu ray, which is my best option?

Thinking of gettin Oppo 83, so will It be stupid to get the Dune 3.0 too? As it have Ethernet port, I could have a router connected to it n wirelessly get content from NAS server?

Is dat how it works? Or I have a hdd built into it n transfer contents (dunno whether wireless transfer possible)

I read quite a number of threads n yet to confirm these doubts. Thx!

If the main purpose is to watch BD then getting a dedicated BD player is a better option than getting a HD media player.

Fyi, streaming HD contents wireless is still a no no.