What should I buy for Home Theater System

Hi!

I am a newbie in Home Theater System. My amp has broken down a couple of months ago. Followed by my pioneer DVD player with HD recorder ( HD recording is still functioning well ). I thought of buying Denon AVR1910 or Onkyo TX 607.

I went to a couple of shops in Adelphi and different people give different opinions. I am having Sound Dynamics (Centre RTS-C2B-1 and 2 rears) and also 2 front book shelves Dynaudio Audience 50.

Could someone recommend the following so that I can have a decent home-theater system (value for money) together with my existing speakers.......I use it for movie more than music:

What AV receivers should I buy?

What DVD player should I buy? Blue-ray player or just DVD player?

Sub-woofers should I buy? I was being recommended for CHT-8Q

Thought of engaging someone to calibrate the system rather using MACC? Any recommendation and what will be the price?

Thanks in advance.

I forgot to mention the budget for all the above should be within the range S$1500 - S$2000.

• 3 weeks later...

If your amp is broken, there is no second question that you will need one. I doubt that any DVD player will be able to drive your speakers without the amp. The amps you have mentioned are good capable ones. though most forumers mention that Denon is better for music and Onkyos are good for HT stuff. But it is important for you to see which matches well with your speakers. I dont own any of those brands so it is going to be difficult to recommend which one you should buy. You possible might have to do some auditions at the shops with your speakers to see what suits you.

Your budget could be a little tight for a AVR, sub and DVD player. I would say go for AVR and DVD player first and then save a liitle more for the sub.

Welcome to XP bro

Will try and help / 'kaypoh' - jmae I have no idea what you are trying to say...

Lets take your total - 2000

You want a subwoofer - CHT8 is decent and will cost < 800.

You want a new amp - the 2 you mentioned have lots of features but are very low on power - < 800. IIRC.

They will both make some kind of noise with the Dynaudios but once you hook up the rest of the speakers, the power they can deliver will drop like a rock to < 50W per channel. Even the mighty Denon AVR 4810 does that to protect itself.

That leaves you with < 400 for a video source.

My suggestion:

You can either get new, pay more or source for 2nd hand, albeit with the risks involved. Caveat emptor.

Eg get a 2nd hand SVS NSD series sub, or ask KEC what is the latest price for the cheapest SVS. Spend more on that if HT is your thing.

AV amps - get a previous gen model, either 2nd hand or NOS - ask Seng Heng, often they carry older Denons/Marantz models for less, try and get something with a bit more juice and pre-outs, you will need it with the Dynaudio which are excellant speakers that you can build on.

Ask for the video source, if you are certain Blu Ray and Hi Def is what you will want either this year or soon, then get a BR player, which can be as low as $300 or less new. Don't buy 2nd hand unless it is really good and avoid demo sets.

Leave about 100-200 for cables - they are a one thing buy which wil last a few years.

Then see the thread on "systems" for more ideas. You can bring the speakers along to demo and audition with the amp to see if it suits your sonic tastes.

I won't be replying this as I am away. Ask the rest for their opinion, as this is my personal opinion.

Take a moment to read the stickies, which will lead you to threads with vast amounts of info and using the search button will also help you unearth lots of info which has already been posted before and allows you a basis on which you can do some homework and get that answer you seek.

If something still puzzles you, then post again.

Cheers

Hi!

I am a newbie in Home Theater System. My amp has broken down a couple of months ago. Followed by my pioneer DVD player with HD recorder ( HD recording is still functioning well ). I thought of buying Denon AVR1910 or Onkyo TX 607.

I went to a couple of shops in Adelphi and different people give different opinions. I am having Sound Dynamics (Centre RTS-C2B-1 and 2 rears) and also 2 front book shelves Dynaudio Audience 50.

Could someone recommend the following so that I can have a decent home-theater system (value for money) together with my existing speakers.......I use it for movie more than music:

What AV receivers should I buy?

What DVD player should I buy? Blue-ray player or just DVD player?

Sub-woofers should I buy? I was being recommended for CHT-8Q

Thought of engaging someone to calibrate the system rather using MACC? Any recommendation and what will be the price?

Thanks in advance.

I forgot to mention the budget for all the above should be within the range S$1500 - S$2000.