Naim Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

Not all music made of high fidelity. There is a thing called musical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you can enjoy music from even a Bluetooth wireless speaker.

But if you are trying to achieve high fidelity with a good quality streamer, you should judge it on its ability to reproduce high quality sources.

If I evaluated every system using a lossy Bluetooth as my source, I wouldn’t bother getting past my phone and a pair of cheap IEMs.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Is it me that I realized high turnover of Naim owner selling off their rigs. 

Can see from 552, 252, 282, SN and the list goes on. Just out of curiosity what have this owners move on to?

I believe most of the people here might also have sell off naim. 

What's the reasons behind it?

Have naim lost its appeal already?

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I'm new to the Naim family. Recently purchased my first Naim component, which is the 250.2. Very enjoyable sound, presence is amazing, superb with close-up Jazz/Vocal recordings. Now the only problem is that there seems to be pretty an annoying transformer hum when it's powered on (even without input or load). A quick search suggests that it might be suffering "DC on AC mains" problems. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue and what the solution was? Getting a DC block? Getting an expensive power regenerator (such as the PS Audio Stella Power Plant 3)? Thanks.

45 minutes ago, Earworm21 said:

Hi all,

I'm new to the Naim family. Recently purchased my first Naim component, which is the 250.2. Very enjoyable sound, presence is amazing, superb with close-up Jazz/Vocal recordings. Now the only problem is that there seems to be pretty an annoying transformer hum when it's powered on (even without input or load). A quick search suggests that it might be suffering "DC on AC mains" problems. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue and what the solution was? Getting a DC block? Getting an expensive power regenerator (such as the PS Audio Stella Power Plant 3)? Thanks.

Hi Ryan,

When you say "transformer hum", I assume you mean you can hear the hum when your ear is close to the case - it's not coming from the spkrs?

If so - yes, it could be DC on the mains which is causing this.  (Do you have a solar electricity system?)  But, as Neo pointed out ... it could be a faulty power transformer.  :(

I make a DC blocker which is designed to pass the full 10a which you can get from a power point and - because I think you always need to try it out - I offer it on a "sale or return" basis (return it if it doesn't stop the power traffo from humming).

Please PM me if you are interested.  Unfortunately, I'm in Melbourne - so some postage will be involved.

Andy

10 minutes ago, Neo said:

How loud is it and has the amplifier been serviced. With Naim power amplifiers it’s done every 10 years as a loose rule. 
Neo

@Earworm21

It’s a slight hum from inside the case, which you can barely notice when the system is playing. Once the music stops at a quiet night it becomes a bit obvious. The amp is supposed to be five years old according to the previous owner, and he never had such an issue.

6 minutes ago, andyr said:

Hi Ryan,

When you say "transformer hum", I assume you mean you can hear the hum when your ear is close to the case - it's not coming from the spkrs?

If so - yes, it could be DC on the mains which is causing this.  (Do you have a solar electricity system?)  But, as Neo pointed out ... it could be a faulty power transformer.  :(

I make a DC blocker which is designed to pass the full 10a which you can get from a power point and - because I think you always need to try it out - I offer it on a "sale or return" basis (return it if it doesn't stop the power traffo from humming).

Please PM me if you are interested.  Unfortunately, I'm in Melbourne - so some postage will be involved.

Andy

Yes my house does have a solar system. Will pm for details.

• 3 months later...

Hi all

a

Naim Nait 5si has come up that I am interested in. Does anyone have any experience of this unit? It is about 6 years old so assume 60wpc. I have heard that Naim watts are different but do not know why. My main concern is will it run my Naim Ovator S400s, and will it play nice with a Bluesound Node N130 and a NAD c542 CD player. I also have a Rega Planar 3 but no phono stage yet, probably an ifi zen that I have loaned from @El Tel  

Any advice appreciated. 
Jez

52 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Hi all

a

Naim Nait 5si has come up that I am interested in. Does anyone have any experience of this unit? It is about 6 years old so assume 60wpc. I have heard that Naim watts are different but do not know why. My main concern is will it run my Naim Ovator S400s, and will it play nice with a Bluesound Node N130 and a NAD c542 CD player. I also have a Rega Planar 3 but no phono stage yet, probably an ifi zen that I have loaned from @El Tel  

Any advice appreciated. 
Jez

Grab it while you can, I have Nap200dr and while it’s 70w it’s has plenty of power for most requirements. With your Naim speaker it’s a perfect match. 
Neo

I recently bought a used 5si. Very happy with it.

I also run a rp3, and bought an Ifi zen phono. 
It works well, though I am thinking my rega needs a better power supply, rather than my wall wart.

the Naim is revealing of any noise.

I have bought some female RCA to din cables for my two Ifi source components, the zen phono and zen dac, too.

Haven’t received yet though…

6 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Thanks for the input. I was too slow unfortunately but will keep an eye out. I thought $900 was a good price for it. 

Exceptional price for a Naim integrated that is close to $3k new and if the serial number is close to the current ones even better. Considered it myself because  of the price but have no use for it unfortunately. 
Neo

• 1 year later...

Judging by the volume of Naim stuff for sale on the classifieds, I guess everyone is mostly interested in dumping their Naim stuff rather than adding anything to this thread?

I'm rather curious on how the New Classic sounds, but so far, nobody seems to be interested in posting their impressions.

New Classic has at least one thing going for them - XLR inputs !

Waiting for the new 500 series to get upgraded.

For me, the biggest advantage of Naim is that they can be turned on 24/7. No need to switch on or wait fro warm up. Instant gratification. The other is no need for power conditioning.

• Like 1