Def Tech speakers

Anyone has this speaker? Need to ask a question on this as I just got this recently....

Do you switch off the mains for this speaker? If so, do you find a loud "pop" when you switch it on, and when you switch it off? ??? When I say loud, I do mean loud...

Checked with Def Tech support, they say it's normal and will not cause harm to the speaker. According to them, "The amplifier used in the CLR2300 has a unique power supply that draws its power from the AC outlet as needed.  It doesn't have a traditional transformer and it doesn't' store its power on board.  A drawback of this unique design is that it produces a transient when it first receives electricity and when it stops receiving electricity." They recommend me to "plugging your CLR2300 into an "unswitched" outlet that receives AC power all the time.  This way you won't hear any popping or thumping when you turn your system on or off."

So, just wanted to check if anyone who own this speaker has the same issue, because the BP7006 does not have such issue!!!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you guys just upgraded your centres or you had them all the while?

What fronts are you guys using BTW? We should start a Def Tech owners thread......

Alpc

How long have you had the 7006s? Any issues/problems so far?

Er.. No, actually I bought them recently as a Christmas present for myself  :P - pair of 7006s, CLR2300, Denon 2310, as well as a pair of ProCinema 600 as the surround speakers.

Ok, sounds like I will have to live with it then - Will have to switch it on only when watching BR/DVDs. Mother is used to listening to CDs almost daily.. Cannot have her "pop"-ing the speakers every time she turns the system on...

So far so good. I left the setting on the amp as what was set by the installer when they delivered the system. Have not touch any setting yet - maybe i had reduced the centre speaker db so that it does not stand out from the BP7006s. Had to travel, so I just got back and still exploring the manuals.

I saw some threads on Def Tech, but it seems to have died of natural death of inactivity.

So who is starting the DT owners thread?  ;D

Alpc

You are the thread starter! Just change the thread title lor..... ;D

No DT separate sub?

What are your settings for the 3 fronts? My centre is Pro 100 (passive).

My 7006s amp settings are both at b/w 10-11 o'clock without LFE in (just thru speaker inputs).

Plus I'm using a standalone sub.

Title changed but not sure if it's changed correctly!  :P

No standalone sub required as the level of bass using subs on the fronts were good enough for me.. 1 less item to place in the living area means less possibility of "noise" from mother...  ;D All 3 fronts are set to 12 o'clock (half way) for the sub level without LFE; Denon Amp set 7006s to large, clr2300 to small.

Like I say, I left the setting to what was installed - Have not even touch the manuals to digest them.

So far only 1 person has CLR2300???

I'm setting up my HT.

Got Def Techs

1. UIW 75 x3, LCR

2. UIW 55 x2  RL RR

3. UIW BP/A x2  Rsurr Lsurr

Need a sub (prob SVS) and also an AVR.

What AVR are you guys using? Any particular brand a good match for Def Tech?

U had me scratch my head for awhile with the "UIW", brain a little slow today...  ;D

Well, I was told Denon is more suitable than Onkyo because it might sound sharper in our dwellings than the showroom, so Denon will bring down the sharpness, or something to that effect...

U had me scratch my head for awhile with the "UIW", brain a little slow today...  ;D

Well, I was told Denon is more suitable than Onkyo because it might sound sharper in our dwellings than the showroom, so Denon will bring down the sharpness, or something to that effect...

*heh* Ultimate In Wall series.

But budget ones. Don't intend to bring the house down, something nice and discreet for the missus and sounds decent for me and the family.

Check out the link for my LCR speakers (though I'm not sure I trust their reviews much anymore).

http://hometheaterreview.com/definitive-technology-uiw-75-in-wall-speaker-reviewed/

Yeah, I've heard the Denons are better as they are slightly warmer. Perhaps its to offset the aluminium dome tweets, but its kinda nice for dialogue too. The UMC-1 Emotiva sounds interesting but I don't think I want to be so adventurous this time round. Maybe next AVR upgrade time.

I'm using Def Tech, thought with a different front speaker.

Here goes my setup

Front - Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II for now  ;D ;D

Center - PC2000 ;D ;D

Surround - PM800 ;D ;D

will add PM1000 (later stage) for the front speaker to complete the Deftech 5.1 setup for movies & dynaudio for 2.1 setup for music. Just bought the sub (SVS PC12 NSD)

AVR - Denon 2809  ;D ;D ;D

Front - Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II for now  ;D ;D

Center - PC2000 ;D ;D

Surround - PM800 ;D ;D

Won't the sound signature be different? especially since Fronts and center are different speakers?!? Does it blend well? I tried 1 company's but different range and could tell there were difference, not to mention different companies' speakers...

Yeah, I've heard the Denons are better as they are slightly warmer. Perhaps its to offset the aluminium dome tweets, but its kinda nice for dialogue too. The UMC-1 Emotiva sounds interesting but I don't think I want to be so adventurous this time round. Maybe next AVR upgrade time.

That's the funny part - I have always thought Onkyo is warmer than Denon... Even when I was testing the Def Tech ProCinema 800 which I had audition it with both Denon and Onkyo previously. before my sight were on the BPs. I stuck to Denon after comparing, although BPs sound pretty good with Onkyo in the showroom. Someone say BPs was best with Marantz, but never did try the combi.

Won't the sound signature be different? especially since Fronts and center are different speakers?!? Does it blend well? I tried 1 company's but different range and could tell there were difference, not to mention different companies' speakers...

I have to agree that the sound signature will be very different, having used the PC2000 before my Focal cc800 centre speaker arrived .

The 4x PM1000/PC2000 DefTech combo speakers does very well for HT for me if not for the fact that I moved from not having 2 separate systems for HT and music. My PM1000 are used only for Surround L/R now.

DefTech speakers have more mass appeal in the US having quite a following at AVSforum. Only problem is that they tend to overrate their freq response. I mean my PM1000 has a 47Hz roll-off specs but take that with a pinch of salt.

Yes, I read about that in AVSforum, and that's where I get most of the details on Def Tech speakers, and yes, they have a large following there. Here? Well I search the threads for DTs, it was like... nada.. almost to zilch, other than some small and short-lived threads.

I always take all specs with pinch of salt... Heck, I did not even read the specs actually, till someone mention about the overrating issue.

But, I am happy that I got to this point since started the journey 2 years ago, and am still trying to find time to enjoy it as due to my job nature I do tend to travel a fair bit  Mother is the one that benefits from the purchase - she has spent more time with the system than I do! Although I have to quantify that she uses it to play her CDs more than anything else.

hih guys..I've just purchased a set of Def Pro 600 together with a CHT-8Q along with a onkyo 507..glad to join the family..though the setup is basic compared to you guys..hope to gain more experience learning thru this forum..thanks..

Just watched Empire Strikes Back this afternoon with the gear and boy, even with a DVD player the enjoyment of the movie was much better than the old HTiB set... I am glad I took the surround sound speakers (yes, I thought of not getting them... installers had brought it along just in case I decide to add it in...)

Got accused of not answering the phone.. but I did not even hear it ringing!!!! LOL!

My DT HT :

Front : BP7006

Centre : Pro100

Surround : BP1.2X

I had the above set-up for years without a separate sub. Had been using the in-built subs in the BP7006 for a long time.

Until the SVS subs were avail in SG recently & I got one last year! So,

Sub : SVS PC12+

I was thinking of upgrading the centre speaker at one point but came away with a view that a bigger centre DT powered speaker might overwhelm the fronts as well as in my bedroom. The Pro100 has the same woofer size as the BP7006.

Alpc

You might wish to connect the LFE-out from your receiver to the 2 fronts' amp inputs? That's what I did (before I had the SVS). I set the fronts to small & LFE-out to the in-built subs,

I was thinking of upgrading the centre speaker at one point but came away with a view that a bigger centre DT powered speaker might overwhelm the fronts as well as in my bedroom. The Pro100 has the same woofer size as the BP7006.

Alpc

You might wish to connect the LFE-out from your receiver to the 2 fronts' amp inputs? That's what I did (before I had the SVS). I set the fronts to small & LFE-out to the in-built subs,

Does the sound matches between Pro100 and BPs? I never did test them together but if I could hear the difference between Mythos 3 and CLR2300, I would think there is a difference between Pro100. Then again, if you are not worried about it, then it's not an issue.

I am thinking about the LFE-out... So what's the difference between setting LFE-out and setting the fronts to large!?!? Have you tested and do hear some noticeable differences?

Its better to try it out yourself since its a very simple change.

I ended up setting the fronts to "small" + LFE in.

I remembered I got better LFE detail through LFE in (as compared to using the speaker inputs).

But now, since I have a separate sub, I don't send the LFE to the fronts any more. And I set the fronts to '"large".

Yeah, just a 2-way splitter from the receiver LFE-out. In fact, you can permanently leave it there. Just change the settings on the receiver.

Other placement tweaks can be toeing in, tilting the fronts abit upwards, facing of the woofer inwards / outwards etc.