SACD & Blu Ray Music Disc discussion thread

It seems SACD and hi def CDs/ BR discs are making a coming back or getting pretty popular.

I hope everyone can share their source, what they like, and how it sounds.

The sad thing is most popular songs are not on SACD, and I do get tired of the jazz / vocals / classical stuff...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems SACD and hi def CDs/ BR discs are making a coming back or getting pretty popular.

I hope everyone can share their source, what they like, and how it sounds.

The sad thing is most popular songs are not on SACD, and I do get tired of the jazz / vocals / classical stuff...

Actually I don't see any increse in popularity of such HD discs ...

True ... and I don't see the point in buying HD discs of cover version by some unknown artists ...  ::)

The popularity is not pervasive, its just in the audiophile folks, and in places like XP.

I don't like the vocals types either, which is why I want to look for my pop and maybe some of my instrumentals.

True ... and I don't see the point in buying HD discs of cover version by some unknown artists ...  ::)

I would whole heartedly recomend the following SACD:

1) Norah Jones - come away with me (CD/SACD layers) (Stereo/Multi)

Pointers: Totally blown away normal version that was printed in singapore.

2) Dire straits - Brothers in arms (CD/SACD layers) (Stereo/Multi)

Excellent recordings in stereo but multi-channel is where this SACD sound best.

3) Celine Dion - All the way.. A decade of songs (SACD layer only) (Stereo)

Great songs, great pitch, great vocal :)

And to add on, i find that SACD give u so much more details into each instrument, eg like a guitar plucking and even into micro detail of a guitar string distortion sound.

Some of my "treasured" pop SACD collection, I can recall only from the top of my head:-

(1) Kraftwerk " Minimum Maximum Live"  (Ultimate Fidelity, afterall, it's electronic music at it's best, extremely rare)

(2) Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" (Popular Audiophile album now in SACD, must-buy)

(3) Dire Strait "Brothers In Arms" (Another popular Pop recording now in SACD)

(4) Carpenters "Singles 1969-1981" (This is probably the best hifi you can get of the Carpenters, amazing)

(5) Depeche Mode Remaster SACDs (Over 10 of them, you want the best sounding Depeche Mode, these are it)

(6) John Taylor "JT", "Hourglass", "Dad loves his work"

(7) Elton John "Goodbye yellow Brick Road" "Captain Fantastic" + about 7 to 8 remastered SACD.

(8) Police "Every Breath You Take, the Classics"

(9) George Harrison "Live in Japan"

(10) Genesis "We Can't Dance" , 'Invisible Touch"

(11) Carol King "Tapestry"

(12) Bon Jovi "This Left feels Right"

(13) T-Rex " Electric Warrior"

(14) Yellow magic Orchestra (YMO) "The Ultimate Collection"

(15) Bangles "Greatest Hits"

(16) Herman Hermits " Greatest Hits"

(17) Cyndi Lauper "She's So Unusual"

(18) Beyonce "Dangerously in Love"

(19) Shania Twain "Up"

(20) Celine Dion " All the way, Decade of Songs" . "Brand New Day"

Here are some DVD-A that I wholeheartedly recommend.

DVD-A

(1) Beatles "Love"  (If you don't have this, I don't know what to say"

(2) Eagles "Hotel California"  (This is a MUST-BUY DVD-A also)

(3) Linkin Park "Animation"

(4) Bjork DVD-A boxset

(5) Fleetwood Mac "Rumours"

(6) Ringo Starr "Ringo 5.1"

(7) Blue Man Group "The Complex"

(8) Missy Elliott "So Addictive"

I am still searching , they are rare but can be obtained if you work hard enough.  Most are bought from many overseas CD shopping trips in Japan and Hong Kong.  You can search for them in amazon but explore the canadian, japanese, UK and german amazon stores as well. I also noticed sometime, you can get from Local CD shops but these are probably 2nd hand discs.  I happened to get "Roxy Music - Greatest hits" SACD for about $35 but I knew it has been repackaged as the plastic shink is of the harder plastic type that are normally available for resealing packages......never mind, it is still a good find.

Some of the SACDs like "The Bangles-Greatest Hits", I found unimpressive when I first bought it but after upgrading my system, it sounded so good now.

You need a good system to really harvest the goodness of SACD and DVD-A.

Sadly, there is nothing "pop" available on Blu-Ray audio yet.  Closest is Sara K, "Made In The Shade" but I don't consider that as pop.

(Audio)

Even in stereo mode, am really amazed how good the Denon 4010/4810 DenonLink4 combo works. Soundstage, bass extension, depth are all so good.

Even tho I have been told the US version of Norah Jones sucks, it still sounds better than the CD layer.

Now you understand what's "Where is the denon Link?" meant.  :)

(Audio)

haha... guess so.

Eh, where to get the Depeche Mode SACD!!?

Start with Gramophone and HMV and then hunt for the rest of them in Amazon, US and japanese stores.

Beware, the first release of Depeche Mode Remasters are on SACD but subsequent re-print are made in DVD-A....please read the fine print before you buy.

Go here to read up 15 pages of the Depeche Mode remasters discussion here:-

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=38403.0

(Audio)

Even in stereo mode, am really amazed how good the Denon 4010/4810 DenonLink4 combo works. Soundstage, bass extension, depth are all so good.

Even tho I have been told the US version of Norah Jones sucks, it still sounds better than the CD layer.

You will tend to be more appreciative of the SACD ver if u heard the singapore press redbook ver  ;D

haha... guess so.

Eh, where to get the Depeche Mode SACD!!?

Last search few months ago ard gramaphone, can't really see much of the SACD version ard anymore..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17969092#post17969092

Someone emailed Oppo about this:

I emailed Oppo late last night and asked for a list of SACDs that exhibit the popping sound. They emailed me back this morning (they do have great customer service don't they?) with a list but they said they really don't have an extensive list. Here's there reply.

"We really do not have a large list of discs which exhibit the issue. We know it happens on at least:

Hiromi: Beyond the Standard

Wagner: Orchestral Excerpts

Copland Conducts Copland

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc.

2629B Terminal Blvd.

Mountain View, CA 94043

Service@oppodigital.com

Tel: 650-961-1118

Fax: 650-961-1119

Add to that Chris Botti - Night Sessions

• 3 weeks later...

Seems more BR players now support SACD - esp from Sony, Denon, Marantz & Oppo. With these universal players we may yet see a revival of the discs!

Anyone tried the Blu Spec CD, SHM-CD  or HQCD? These are CDs that offer higher res than red book but can be played on normal Red Book CD players. I have bought a couple to try out and TBH, you can kiss SACD goodbye. Now to restock my CD Blu Spec CD library. AFAIK, New Disk Village carries them.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/popular_formats/index.html?gclid=CO6flbK5gaACFcZA6wodj2yXkg

Anyone tried the Blu Spec CD, SHM-CD  or HQCD? These are CDs that offer higher res than red book but can be played on normal Red Book CD players. I have bought a couple to try out and TBH, you can kiss SACD goodbye. Now to restock my CD Blu Spec CD library. AFAIK, New Disk Village carries them.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/popular_formats/index.html?gclid=CO6flbK5gaACFcZA6wodj2yXkg

Err...I have spend quite a sum buying up SHM and Blu-Spec CDs.  The diff from the normal CD is very slight.  Not as pronounced as SACD or DVD-A., IMHO.

(Audio)

HDCD was supposed to be better because of some extra encoding embedded in the 16bits - which made it compatible with Redbook CDs, but when properly decoded amounted to about 18bits - as far as I can recall. Hopefully someone will be kind enough to dig up a Wiki article.

As far as I can recall reading, for most people it's an audible difference (with a HDCD capable player); unfortunately the format was bought - and apparently phased out - by Microsoft :P

blu-ray music might take off if audiophiles get over their fear (!) of video on the same player. perhaps profile 3.0 may help, but I can't see them getting past the need to have a display to select tracks - the most common complaint against DVD-Audio