Mediacorp Channel 5 16:9

Did I miss an announcement somewhere?  Last night I was flipping channels, and noticed that Michael Buble at Madison Square Garden was shown in 16:9, without letterboxing.  And I think Cougartown on Mondays is also being shown 16:9.

Is this the start of Ch5 moving towards 16:9 across the board?  About bloody time.  How many people still only have 4:3 TVs today? (OK, my in-laws and my mother/siblings, but that's beside the point...)  Can one even buy a new 4:3 TV today?  (Maybe an Akira at Giant...)

But even if Mediacorp moves to 16:9, it'll be some time before SCV follows, given that many of their channels come from (or must cater to) other Asian countries, which are even further behind SG in switching to widescreen TVs.

Hi,

It might actually be a "mistake". Someone wrote in to the press to highlight this "mistake" when he suddenly realised that one of the movies they were showing is now having the "correct" aspect ratio on his widescreen TV. He is also suggesting MediaCorp to move into true 16:9 like you did here. I don't remember seeing a reply. Then again, I don't read the forums pages as I don't have a ST subscription.

Yes, this is definitely a good move. I'd like the shows on okto to be 16:9 too. Right now it's 16:9 letterboxed to 4:3 which is then stretched to 16:9 again on most TVs. I just set mine to "zoom"  which zooms in and crops out the black bars, but at a loss of some resolution.

Most new productions including the local drama serials and some documentaries are 16:9 anyway, so hopefully Mediacorp will just move to 16:9 totally. But doubt they will.

Regards

CK

Mediacorp should just switch to 16:9 altogether.

16:9 HDTV are very common now. And it will only spread even more as the prices for HDTVs drop further.

The other percentage of the homes with 4:3 TVs will not care or not even know their pictures are squashed for 16:9. Just do it man.

Last week I remember I saw a little note just as the show started (think was CSI)... it said something like "Show is in Widescreen 16:9 format".. and it really was. :)

Hope the TV broadcast will change to 16:9 very soon. Then the people won't look "fatter" than they really are on my plasma.

Last week I remember I saw a little note just as the show started (think was CSI)... it said something like "Show is in Widescreen 16:9 format".. and it really was. :)

Yeah, I saw that opening note as well yesterday (I had accidently recorded on DVR Meteor on Sunday, and when scanning through it to find out what it was, saw the opening note.)

Good development.  Although no doubt lots of clueless viewers will suddenly complain, why is everyone looking so skinny now? 

• 2 weeks later...

I dun think they have moved to widescreen across the board but selective programs.

The new drama series shown on Thur The Pupil is in 16:9 format and it looks really great. And a couple of movies.

I may be one of the last few members on this forum that is still using a CRT 34" toshiba TV but this 6 yrs old model already has an 'widescreen' option; so I could watch the widescreen programs without any fuss. Even the 'letterboxed' widescreen looks ok on my TV.