Budget System --> Need your help not to get "GeTo"

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum, and almost completely new to the world of hi fidelity music making machines.

I dont know much about Hifis, I did once owned a Tannoy 603 speaker system w/ a Harmon AV receiver,

which I found pretty good, but I sold them off to the karang guni after it started to crackle and I did not know who to turn to. It was then replaced by the 5.1 systems that came free with the LCD TV you bought, I found them very convenient, and it is nice to have a all in one DVD/CD/Tuner/Amp in a device not large than a VHS player. I've used those for a while, it was acceptable (i told u I wasnt so particular), although I hated being able to hear the seperation between those tiny speakers and the subwoofer. ANd of course I love the look of quality speakers.

I have a $279 Sony Mini HIFI, and it trashes all the 5.1s that I've owned, it just sounded more natural, and the bass is tight, deep, not wallowy mushmallowy boomy like those 5.1s.

Now that I'm moving to a new place, I though might as well get some cherry wood bookshelfs to add to the decor, as well as to get some nice sounds again. But here's the catch, I dont wanna spend too much, and you may laugh at my budget, but I believe I can get a fairly decent sounding setup for $1K, considering I'm not a serious audiophilpe at all, and I use it 60% of the time listening to the radio (lush 99.5 and 92.4), 30% CDs, 10% watching a DVD.

So I need some help here, and I hope to get some here.

Below I list objectively, what I believe is necessary to know.

I'm going to use my blue ray player as a CD player, when I visited gramaphone, they use a $79 DVD player as a player, and I thought it sounded great. So obviously I cant tell the difference between a $1000 CD player and a chinese DVD player. So thats gonna save me some money.

Budget : SGD$1K (AV 5.1 Receiver plus 2 Bookshelf Speakers, no Subwoofer. 5.1 because I may add centre speaker)

Environment : Normal Condo Hall

Type of Music : Jazz, Classical, Chill-out Loungey Music

Type of Sound I Like : Warm Vocals, Tight Deep Bass, I dont like turning up the music too much to get the bass.

Music Source : 60% Radio , 30% CD, 10% DVD movie

Aesthetics : Hopefully speaker available is nice light coloured wooded veneer.

I auditioned the Bose 201 (only $220 sale), and found it slightly bright and lacking bass almost completely.

I hope with this, you can recommend a system, and importantly, where to buy it from.

Just off the net, I liked the look of the Tannoys F1 Custom, Cambridge Audio S30.

Better still, if you have a used set, please let me know.

THANKS! Marc

Welcome to XP bro

Take a moment to read the stickies, which will lead you to threads with vast amounts of info and using the search button will also help you unearth lots of info which has already been posted before and allows you a basis on which you can do some homework and get that answer you seek.

Since you posted a lot of info, it encourages others (like me) to help:

The Ushers are quite decent and will set you back 3xx to 4xx. Add a Marantz AV amp (a 2nd hand 7002 just appeared - knock down the price a bit and it is quite decent). Plus a basic BR player and that will go under 1k. You should add 10% for cables and you are pretty set.

Cheers

Hi Pete thanks for your reply.

I did look through the stickies, thats where I found the ushers.

Still need an experience audiophile like yourself for the final touches.

I've read that the Ushers are lacking in bass.

Is a seperate subwoofer needed then ?

FOr the extra cost of a subwoofer, I would rather buy a large speaker for less clutter.

If Ushers gives enough bass, than thats the best case for me.

FOr the extra cost of a subwoofer, I would rather buy a large speaker for less clutter.

I pressume this is for a living room?  With your budget, get the Usher with a receiver first.  Add a subwoofer subsequently when u have more $.

hi!

i started off my journey with 5.1 HT system. later slowly i found my interest in music. then i invest in my usher s520 using my avr to drive it. at first i felt usher is very bright as i do nt know wat cable to match it. slowlly i play around wif I/C and cables and it sort of taming the brightness of this speaker.

usher definately is a very good pair of speaker for music to start off as it is not so expensive. i hv not actually use it fot HT before but i think some bros here ever use it. so i left this part for them to comment. usher indeed is slightly lack of bass. so i coupled it wif my sub woofer. this setup lasted me for quite some time until my upgrade bug bite on me  :P. good luck in ur search for your system  ;D

Thanks !

I see used Marantz SR4500 going for cheap in the forums.

Can this be a good match ?

For me, as long as they connect, they match, so I really have no idea.

The Cambridge Audio looks real nice too.

Ushers lack bass as some have commented, any other alternatives that dont need a sub ?

I dont need the absolute best for vocals. A balanced speaker will be better for a not so particular listener

like me.

You want bass, you want subwoofer level thump AND 1k.... go figure my friend...

Without too much contempt, even if you did NOT buy the AV amp and spent 1k on a Blu Ray player + speakers, thats not easy...

Assuming you bought a NEW Bronze range floorstander from MA, that would be 5-6xx easily.

And that Marantz 4500 is not a good idea. Its so old you won't get much out of it and without HDMI, I would stick to DVDs for now.

Its a common disease amongst new members. First they post a budget, say sound does not matter (and I quote you)then slowly decide this and that does not fit...

Well its simple, either increase your budget, or get less (don't buy the amp / BR player) or get realistic with what you can achieve for 1000 Singapore dollars. That is the truth or you will end up spending up more, when you become disatisfied with the initial buy because you spent too little and expect more...

Have a think first, bro on how much you really can afford, and what you really want to achieve - is sound and bass so important in your kind of music.

BTW buying a MA RS 6 or RX if you can afford that, will withstands lots of upgrading and will fit your need for bass...

Is this for a 5.1 system? Or a stereo setup?

For 5.1, the HT subforum may be a better place for the discussion.

If you use an AVR for stereo, it's very likely the AVR itself will become the weakest link in a music setup, unless you are like our friend Audio who's willing to pay for it. A lot :)

Even "Pure Direct" modes in a number of AVRs, particularly lower end ones, don't exactly work correctly.. often involving A-D then D-A processing but bypassing EQ/DEQ/tone adjustments.

FWIW, if you really want to marry the two setups together, the lowest cost solution would most likely be from Marantz. The basic premise is the same: Use a stereo integrated with pre-amp bypass for the stereo setup. Hook the CD player and other music/stereo sources to the stereo integrated amp. Use the AVRs pre out to hook the front L/R pre out to the pre-amp bypass input on the integrated amp. Would most likely still bust your budget.

If your budget is just 1k than maybe u can get more value by looking at used stuff. Also please note that there is no recommendation here that will eventually be wat u want. U have to start with something n move on from there. Brand new rs or rx6 will blow your 1k budget right away. For me, 1k budget I will only be prepare to listen to sound value at 1k for me cos I don't have golden ears.

If your budget is just 1k than maybe u can get more value by looking at used stuff. Also please note that there is no recommendation here that will eventually be wat u want. U have to start with something n move on from there. Brand new rs or rx6 will blow your 1k budget right away. For me, 1k budget I will only be prepare to listen to sound value at 1k for me cos I don't have golden ears.

totally agree  ;)