FRONT MAIN SPEAKERS , WHICH ONE TO USE ?

Don't choose speakers based on size. Choose one based on how it sounds.

As a general rule of thumb, floorstanders IN THE SAME RANGE have enough space to cover a larger range of frequencies compared to its smaller bookshelf brother but it can be more picky about placement.

A bookshelf speaker's smaller size can limit the reproduction range due to the enclosure and the number of drivers it can support compared to the floorstander in THE SAME RANGE. But it could be less picky about placement. In HT use, the use of  a subwoofer may augment the low end so as a system, it may not lose out to a floorstander

Once you are comparing different brands and even ranges, this rule of thumb gets thrown out of the window because there are different types of drivers and design considerations. The Dynaudio C1 for instance goes lower than some floorstanders.

Since you post this in HT, i am assuming that your front mains are mainly for HT use. In this case, you may be better off with 2 way bookshelf speakers plus a good subwoofer as compared to just getting 3 way floorstanding speaker only.

Does your tube amp support some form of HT bypass?

This allows the SAME pair of speakers to serve double duty for both HT and stereo listening.

If your room supports it, I'd use the bigger speakers for front (doubling up for HT and stereo usage) and use the smaller one for surrounds. Since you already have BOTH.

Otherwise, it'd be a waste to use the floorstanders for surround duties

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

I have B&W 603 and 602.

Should I use the 603 or 602 for HT front speakers ?

I also use tube EL34 for audio listening. Should I use the 603 or 602 ?

Thanks

:) ;) :D

hoon33

Are you more into HT or stereo? Are you thinking of combining HT and stereo into one system or have separate systems; one for HT use and one for stereo with the 2 sets of speakers?

If you more into HT, use 603 for fronts and 602 for surrounds as mentioned by DH. If you more into stereo and thinking of separate systems, you may want to consider using 603 for stereo and 602 for HT. For HT, a subwoofer is always required for the low bass portions.

You may want to post your system configuration, your music tastes etc With more information provided, others may be able to provide more appropriate solutions that suits you more better.

Hello,

Thanks DH and Sagibit for the replies,

My set up

HT > philips BD3000 or Panasonic HD Recorder > Yapamha DSP A1 > Wharfdale 12 active sub > B&W603 Front > B&W CC6 center

>Philips- front and rear surround. > epson TW700

Audio > Philips BD3000 > Sansui S8 equalizer > Image EL34 tube amp > B&W602 > Yamaha active sub.

Questions

======

1.  Should I change for HT to use the 603 or 602 as front speakers that will give the best

2.  Is there a better way to arrange to improve my equipments .

thanks

hoon33

:) ;) :D

I honestly can't tell what's best for u.

Maybe swap the speakers around to see which works best for you.

Depends on what you listen to more.

Based on what u said, I'd use the smaller speakers with sub for HT.

I am not sure the floorstanders would be more detailed than the bookshelves. Just more bass extension.

which series is your 600 series? S1, S2 or S3? Are both sets of speaker from the same series?

Midrange of 602 may be better than 603 but you will have to try out and see what you like.

If your sub have " stereo rca in/outs" you can try the following config:

Audio > Philips BD3000 > Sansui S8 equalizer > Yamaha active sub. > Image EL34 tube amp > B&W602

Take note that for most subs, the crossover at the rca in/out is fixed at 80Hz. The adjustable crossover on the sub is to adjust the low bass frequency to the sub only and does not affect the rca in/out. Reason is to strip out low bass from the signal before it gets to the amp and reaches your speakers. This will improve your midrange, bass and clarity. Low bass is handled by sub while your amp do not need to work too hard to handle all frequency. Your sub will need to be calibrated to match with your main speaker and it is not easy to integrate sub with main speakers. You can try swapping both sets of speakers around to see which you prefer. 

Hello Sagabit,

DM603 is no series ( should be first )

DM602 is S2

I like the idea of the player > equalizer > sub woffer > tube amp > speakers.

the sub will filter the low frequenices and the amp does not need to work hard

sounds very logical.

thanks and I will try it.

Hoon33

:D :D :D

S2 series tweeter is better and now I know why you use 602 for your audio. I will say stick with 603 for HT and try 602 for audio 1st.

In addition, the mid/bass on the 602 do not have work too hard at reproducing low bass frequencies too as it is stripped off and handled by the subwoofer. There should be less distortion and your midrange should improve also especially since you are using tube amp. 

Do report back your results.