Cheap 4 bay hdd enclosure

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

recommended this to a friend who bought it a few months ago.

good value for money for those of you who don't need raid.

auto fan speed though, which is good and bad. i've no idea how the noise level is like. :)

You can manually set the fan speed stay fixed at level 1, 2 or 3. Even at level 3, i couldnt hear anything unless i go very near so i can say it's rather silent.

One good thing is the fan is replacable. So potentially you can further reduce the noise by replacing it with a better fan.

side track a bit. I am not directly or indirect link to this company. Just to share some info that i come across.

how abt this one? promotion at S$90 with eSATA only. 2-bays only though...

http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/newsview.php?id=4113

personally, i am into DIY using old PC with efficient power supply and run Freenas. Of course, the look is not great (huge and old with noise level is not silent but can "tahan").

You can manually set the fan speed stay fixed at level 1, 2 or 3. Even at level 3, i couldnt hear anything unless i go very near so i can say it's rather silent.

One good thing is the fan is replacable. So potentially you can further reduce the noise by replacing it with a better fan.

thanks for the input. did not know you could replace the fan.

i guess noise level is very subjective as each room has different ambient noise. :)

i got a icydock cos the fan can be removed totally, and it can be operated fanless.

1 qn ralfale... When u hook up 4 HDD, n' connect them thru esata to a host device, does it show 4x HDD or 1 single large capacity HDD combined?

e.g. accessing it from yr host PC. What does it indicate from the external storage? 4x HDD or 1 combined?

1 qn ralfale... When u hook up 4 HDD, n' connect them thru esata to a host device, does it show 4x HDD or 1 single large capacity HDD combined?

e.g. accessing it from yr host PC. What does it indicate from the external storage? 4x HDD or 1 combined?

4 harddisks should appear i believe.

4 harddisks should appear i believe.

Hmm... Not so sure bout' that cos' there are users experiencing 4 combined capacity in 1 from DAS reading from their host pc.

It should be the reason of  external sata-multiplier using a single sata port connected on host device.

For some unknown reason, i couldn't get esata to work. So i am unable to reply to your question.

I am currently busy preparing for some exam so can only work more on this after next weekend.

I suspect it is some drivers issue.

For now, i am just sticking to usb connection and works perfect for me. No lagging issue also if i just plays the movie directly from the device. So i guess the main benefit of esata connection is just to make file transferring faster which is something i can still bare with for now.

Hmm... Not so sure bout' that cos' there are users experiencing 4 combined capacity in 1 from DAS reading from their host pc.

It should be the reason of  external sata-multiplier using a single sata port connected on host device.

well i guess it depends on the device then. sounds like what u are referring to is jbod?

i was referring to the device in this thread which i dun think supports that.

well i guess it depends on the device then. sounds like what u are referring to is jbod?

i was referring to the device in this thread which i dun think supports that.

Yes, something like an unconfigured raid as a JBOD... For DAS, some users will get bunch of disks capacity in 1... There are some better built internal port multiplier that will not have these issues (better for controlling)... Jus' need to know from TS when he has the time to test it.  ;)

Im using it with 2 hdd installed on my media player(usb connection). It show 2x hdd.

Hi ralfale, perhaps u can also check if the internal sata port multiplier has a manual switch? (USB/eSATA)... Some OEM PCB is designed as such.

Do update us when u are free-up for tinkering... All the best to yr exam!  ;)

There is a switch which allows you to change betweeen esata or usb mode.

Im using it with 2 hdd installed on my media player(usb connection). It show 2x hdd.

Thx for the input... but have u tried on the eSATA configuration?

I had tried few DAS before, most of them always show up to be "bunch of disks" in Windows ext. device. Only few good ones have a better built-in sata port multiplier...

Yes, something like an unconfigured raid as a JBOD... For DAS, some users will get bunch of disks capacity in 1... There are some better built internal port multiplier that will not have these issues (better for controlling)... Jus' need to know from TS when he has the time to test it.  ;)

just asked a friend who uses this. the drives appear as multiple drives.

you need a controller card to manage as a single drive.