3D at home?

The studios and consumer electronics companies are trying to use AVATAR's success as the driving force for a 3D revolution. Besides releasing more 3D films, and also re-releasing 3D-ized versions of classic films, there is a big push towards introducing 3D at home. In particular, the 3D Blu-ray standard has just been finalized.

Inevitably, 3D at home is likely to mean another round of upgrades - while it appears that, for example, the PS3 will be firmware-upgradeable to support 3D, it's not clear that existing TVs and other players will support it. So it might mean another round of upgrades for those of us who have only recently upgraded to Blu-ray.

Personally, I can't see myself putting on 3D glasses just to watch stuff at home, on anything more than a once-in-a-blue-moon basis. Certainly, I can't imagine spending $$$ just to upgrade my system to do it. I must admit I haven't gone to see AVATAR in the cinema, so maybe my views might change after that (and assuming the same 3D experience would be possible at home).

Also, 3D will always be suited for particular kinds of movies. Especially with the gimmickiness of 3D and the inconvenience of glasses, I can't imagine it becoming the norm for all kinds of movies.

What do others think? Is this push for 3D at home just more snake oil that the entertainment industry is trying to force on us, or is it really the next inevitable step?

Panasonic has announced its new 3D blu-ray player in CES 2010. See below..

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10427858-269.html

Key features of the Panasonic DMP-BDT350:

* 3D Blu-ray player

* PHL Reference Chroma Processor Plus video processor

* Supports Panasonic's VieraCast streaming content portal, which will feature content from Amazon Video On Demand, YouTube, Picasa, Netflix, Pandora and Twitter

* SD cart slot and USB port

* 14 second boot up time

* Wi-Fi ready; requires USB dongle (not confirmed whether or not this is included)

Along comes the 3D-compatible TVs as well.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10427983-269.html?tag=mncol;txt

Time to plan for the upgrade folks!  ;D

Watching Avatar was fun, but a lot of time is spent admiring the effects which for me, can detract from enjoying the story.  In the world of IT and consumer electronics, there will constantly be new toys to tempt the wallet.  However, for 3D, I think it will take sometime for it to come mainstream.  Even HD is not yet widespread due to the high price of BR, and the odd HD5 movie.

Also, I doubt watching 3D on a 42" or 50" flatscreen can give the kind of impact that a large projection screen can... but that's where the largest market segment is.

I am concern with the 3-D glasses that we hv to wear to watch 3D movies or programmes.

Imagine every companies which start producing the 3D-glasses will claim heavenly PQ and Quality of the products.

What if you dun wear it? the Picture turns blurry with double-vision lookalike?

High-Definition still in infancy stage... Mass adoption still not visionize yet...  :P

I am concern with the 3-D glasses that we hv to wear to watch 3D movies or programmes.

Imagine every companies which start producing the 3D-glasses will claim heavenly PQ and Quality of the products.

.... and very soon, there'll be Rayban and gang coming out with glasses with prescription, and then 3D contact lenses, and then 3D surgical implants.... ::)

I don't know whether they can accurately 3d'ized older non pure CG movies. You need at least 2 cameras set up with correct perspective adjustment to get natural stereoscopic capture.

For CG flicks, you simply re-render everything with another camera, but for live action....i'm not sure whether faking stereo by using parallel offset is sufficient.

I don't know whether they can accurately 3d'ized older non pure CG movies. You need at least 2 cameras set up with correct perspective adjustment to get natural stereoscopic capture.

For CG flicks, you simply re-render everything with another camera, but for live action....i'm not sure whether faking stereo by using parallel offset is sufficient.

I've read that some demos - including bits of the original STAR WARS - are quite impressive. With hi-def digital scans of the original negatives, I'm sure they can work wonders and get portions of the picture to 'pop out'. But what's the point really?

So that princess leia's umm bikini shot shows the depth of her assets? ;D

I've read that some demos - including bits of the original STAR WARS - are quite impressive. With hi-def digital scans of the original negatives, I'm sure they can work wonders and get portions of the picture to 'pop out'. But what's the point really?

HD images have brought the kind of clarity and detail in pictures we never imagined a decade ago. And now HD sound has opened up another new experience.

But the real magic, to me, is 3D.

I mean, Avatar is frankly a pretty average movie, bland story and bland acting etc - my view only. But watching it on 3D, no it was more like experiencing it, it was something else. It felt like you are really there, in the lab, in the jungle. Truly magic! And given that its still early days, I'm eagerly awaiting for even better experiences with movies to come.

I hate to think how this technology can be used in adult movies.... >:(

I don't ;D

You can do that now with off the shelf projectors + screens...but you need a way to get separate left/right image source

;D

I more look forward on the 3D projector..at least 80 to 100 inch of viewing and fully enjoy the 3D as what you will have in cinema