Dali Speakers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I was looking for a stereo setup and was impressed with the epicon 2 with roksan k3 driving it. Was quoted around 10k for this setup so wondering at this price range, what other setups I should try before making the decision?

This setup is for use in a room and most of the time, I listening to vocals or pop, with a little rock add in for the occasion. :) this Budget is at the upper end of what I want to pay so will appreciate suggestions that are on par or better still lower than 10k.

For that budget you can already get a very decent setup. But for enthusiasts who wants to start their first setup, I dont recommend spending so much money. In practical sense, we may not know if we want to carry on this hobby after we get our first setup or do we appreciate the difference in terms of sound quality as we upgrade.

So my opinion is, start off with a decent budget like around 2 to 3k and upgrade in future if you want to do it. If you do not want to upgrade anymore and find that the setup is more than enough to fulfill your needs, then you would have already saved 7 to 8k.

I find that Marantz is a good brand to start with and I presume a lot of enthusiasts who end up with high end setup started with Marantz. I do not own high end setup but I started with Marantz too.

hi blurrino

firstly what is your budget ? epicon is a very good series of speaker , but for what the current delaer is selling i would said they are slightly overprice . just for your info i do own a dali epicon vokal and helicon 400mk2 towers .

my advice is if you are just starting this hobby don't just listen to a single brand , check out other brands of bookshelf too.

or if you dont mind a bit overkill you might want to check out alpha audio at adelphi as they still have the previous dali mentor series for sale as demo they are tower spk btw . you can get a great value system by buying demo set , since they are the previous dealer for dali. no harm to give it a listen tho.

or wait for the mid end or year end sales that current dealer is putting up , might get a good deal tho. if you really want dali , i am also waiting for the prices to go down during the sales , eyeing a epicon 6 too.

How much is the spk and int amp separately ? 

This will help to recommend silimar range of spk and int amp brands/models for you to try out.

Or do you already have a source (ie. CD players or music streamer or etc ..)?

If so, if they have in built volume control, you might want to try out active bookshelves spk instead.

Thanks for the response guys. Though I don't have a hifi setup, I am into headfi for almost a decade and I got a decent KEF home theatre setup as well. Just that with a new home with more space for myself, I can get a decent stereo setup I always love the air and imaging speakers can give me over headphones.

I think the dealer quote $7500 for epicon 2 and $2500 K3 integrated if I bought separately but there will be some savings if I buy as a set, which will be spend on cables anyway. Alternatively I really want to save monies, rubicon2 is great as well but just that after I heard epicon 2, that sort of become like a benchmark.. lol.

I have also try Focal Sopra nos 1 (really too expensive for me though the energy it convey thru the music is amazing), KEF LS50 active (a tad too digital sounding for me) and Penaudio Cenya (AVI customer service is the best I had so far but the speakers itself is only suitable for certain genre of music to my ears, unfortunately).

Thanks for the response guys. Though I don't have a hifi setup, I am into headfi for almost a decade and I got a decent KEF home theatre setup as well. Just that with a new home with more space for myself, I can get a decent stereo setup I always love the air and imaging speakers can give me over headphones.

I think the dealer quote $7500 for epicon 2 and $2500 K3 integrated if I bought separately but there will be some savings if I buy as a set, which will be spend on cables anyway. Alternatively I really want to save monies, rubicon2 is great as well but just that after I heard epicon 2, that sort of become like a benchmark.. lol.

I have also try Focal Sopra nos 1 (really too expensive for me though the energy it convey thru the music is amazing), KEF LS50 active (a tad too digital sounding for me) and Penaudio Cenya (AVI customer service is the best I had so far but the speakers itself is only suitable for certain genre of music to my ears, unfortunately).

The Epicon 2 is great. If you've been in audio for a decade now you probably know exactly what sound you want. The differences between speakers are huge, much bigger than those between headphones or iems. If you like the Epicon 2 I wouldn't hesitate, speakers are much more different with one another in tone, presentation and so on. Unlikely you'll find something similar to the E2 but cheaper. Well maybe the Rubicon 2, but as you point out it has a noticeable gap in performance.

I've auditioned the Epicon 2 and Rubicon 2 plenty of times, impressed every time. Roksan K3 no comment though, never tried any Roksan gear.

Like other Bro mentioned, have a listen to other speaker brands, the sound can be quite different.  There is a slightly different option, Ara and Rinjani by SB Acoustics. SB are an driver OEM and these 2 designs punch well above their weight(price) range compared to others brands.

I believe you can listen to them at Robert's at Live Acoustics.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

The Epicon 2s are one of the most under-rated speakers around. They are slightly cheaper than than the more commonly known 805D3 from B&W but IMHO it doesn't lose out.

The sense of scale is impressive for a bookshelf speaker and I swear it sounded bigger than some Amphion floor standers

Personnel, had not hear either of the gears b4.  so can't really comment on which of the alternatively priced gears closely matched what you're looking for.

Could only recommend based on the pricing range for you to try them out.

Bookshelf SPK ~ around 7.5K +/-

Monitor Audio PL100 II or the cheaper Gold 100 (AV One)

KEF Reference 1 or the cheaper R300 (GP)

Acoustic Energy Reference 1

ATC SCM series BS spk

Harbeth super HL5+

Dynaudio (Contour/Confidence series)

Hi BlurRhino, was the same case with the Rubicon 2 for me. Heard and was very impressed with it. After that, spent some time auditioning a few others around the price range, but ultimately decided that the differences that I COULD hear with the other speakers, could also be explained away with the different rooms and equipment that they were paired with. That pinpoint imaging....damn..... It's similar to Audience's ClairAudient One that I have, so maybe you can consider the Audience speakers (although being a single driver, don't think the 1+1 can match the low end of the Epicon).

In the end, my head decided that it was too hard to decide logically, and left the decision to the heart.

PS: You can find the Dali speakers at #04-01 as well. http://www.e77.asia/ The cute sales girl there is a plus XD

With a $10k budget for speakers and amp, and considering your listening preferences I would suggest you audition :

1) ATC SCM series with ATC amplification/source

These speakers can be picky about the amplification, but if you pair them with ATC electronics it takes much of the guesswork out of the picture and you get great synergy and sound. Search for CDA Pro-Audio to arrange for an audition.

2) Audio Note AN-K with Leben CS-300XS

You can arrange to audition this combo at Audio Note (hifi.com.sg)

No affiliation with the above dealers.

Dali speakers are from my experience very amp-friendly too in that they work well with a wide variety of amps. Consider tube amps too :).

jelt2359 and DH bros yes both rubicon and epicon has this enveloping sound signature.. The sound seems to wrap you inside the music.. it is a very satisfying sound, quite unlike any I have try before. The best is I don't lose out much even if I am not sitting at the sweet spot. Can I know when you guys auditioned the dali speakers, you try with what gears?

tane0019 and headfiman thanks for your suggestions.

- Don't think I will touch Monitor audio or Dynaudio.. I love the guys at AV1 headphone bar but can't say the same for their hifi guys.. they are very snobbish so I don't see the point of giving them business.

- KEF Reference 1 is good when I try it last year at GP but didn't sound so well when I hear it at ISSE. I think it need expensive electronics to sound well so when combined will exceed my budget.

- I am a visual person as well and with the size of the speakers, it is like a furniture piece of the house, so I guess I will give Harbeth and Audio Note a miss.

- I will find a chance to try out ATC.

Whazzup bro can I ask when you audition the dali speakers you try with what gears? Yes I try the speakers at e77 and yes its the sales lady there that serve me. She is quite amazing as I find her moving all those equipment around like it's nothing, when I think even guys will have problems and making me embarrassed to sit there while she setup. Lol. But find her quite aggressive to try to close sales though I forgive her since she is cute. :P

Hmm....when I was first introduced to the Dali speakers (Opticon / Rubicon), was in Tokyo. They were paired with Marantz amp but can't remember which model. Came back Singapore and tried it out at e77, and same like you, was with Roksan K3, since it's like their default gear.

Now I have the Rubicon 2 with the Cambridge Audio CXA80, with my HTPC providing USB and hdmi > tv >optical out (both paths sound similar), and a Quad sub for that extra low end in shows.

If you considering amplifiers, during my search, I was also considering Peachtree nova150 after hearing it at another guy's place.

From what I've heard about the ATC speakers, like the rest has mentioned, they're definitely worth considering too.

That's true, tried the AE 301 as well and it punches way above its price range, gives a very good enveloping sound as well. Was seriously considering it because of the front port, so can place closer to wall. The gear it's partnered with in the showroom in Adelphi (Audio Basic) is pretty high end though (mono blocks and everything), so will need to take that into account.

Hi Esquire, what gear do you have with your 301?

That's true, tried the AE 301 as well and it punches way above its price range, gives a very good enveloping sound as well. Was seriously considering it because of the front port, so can place closer to wall. The gear it's partnered with in the showroom in Adelphi (Audio Basic) is pretty high end though (mono blocks and everything), so will need to take that into account.

Hi Esquire, what gear do you have with your 301?

Marantz PM 8005

The Epicon 2 is indeed very good. I bought mine from e77 a year ago and still loving it everyday especially if you are into vocal, instrumental, jazz, pop music. IMO the SQ signature of the E2 is musical, holographic, and live-liked. If you are going for an analytical pair or into heavy metal or trance music then perhaps they are not for you. One thing For sure is that you need to pair them with a good amp to get the best out of them, although they are "amp-friendly" they do prefer to work with a competent partner J (avoid pure class D amp with the E2, it will make them dull). Currently I'm using Devialet 220 and totally happy with the combo.

Btw, I have no affiliation with Dali or e77.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk