What rear speakers for very close listening?

Hi,

I will be moving house in a few mths time. My current place allows me to mount my Wharf Diamond8 directional speakers high up and a distance away from my listening sofa.

My new place likely will be smaller and I will have to mount the speakers less than 1 metre away from where I will be watching HT.

Should I change my rear wharf speakers to a non-directional one that diffuses the surround sound if it is close to the wall and the sofa? Or I should got get some stands for my rear speakers? and have them place behind my sofa at where my ears would be?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

Guest jonlee

5.1 or 7.1 or 9.1 or 11.1?

If it is just 5.1, u can mount the speakers on stands and place them to the left and right of the sofa, firing directly at u.

Hi,

Yup, my current setup is 7.1 but i found out that the rear 2 rarely got used because my old onkyo do not do ES from the HD masteraudio or TrueHD.

I was also thinking of just doing 5.1 by placing my 2 sides on stands but I got kids.. so a bit dangerous.

Saw the bipole ones from Wharf too... won't be changing to other more expensive brands due to budget constraint.

can silicone the speakers to some stands and put some dumbell weights on the bottoms of the stands ... cheap and heavy ... to stop them getting bumped over :D or just wall mount if possible

not a huge amount of 7.1 native support as far as I can tell

if ur sofa is really close or against the rear wall, bipoles wld be a wise choice. gives u a diffused soundstage. but it also depends on what u r listening to most of the time. though bipoles r mostly recommended if ur sofa is up against the rear wall, direct firing speakers r better for listening to multichannel music. imho.

the emotiva ERD-1 are able to be switched to both Bi or Di polar and are not a bad buy at all if you did want to change - a few bro's ahve these as do I, I have them for my rears about 3m from the rear of my sofa but I also have some KT-DS Dipolar klipsch directly above my sofa :D

you can check out the dolby site for placement suggestions at http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

if ur sofa is really close or against the rear wall, bipoles wld be a wise choice. gives u a diffused soundstage. but it also depends on what u r listening to most of the time. though bipoles r mostly recommended if ur sofa is up against the rear wall, direct firing speakers r better for listening to multichannel music. imho.

Fully agreed with strike55. Having ur sofa against the rear wall, good to have bipole but even better if you get the Mirage's omnipole. Another way is to shift your sofa out from the rear wall if you want other than bipole/ommipole.