Where to put height speakers?

I have read both Audyssey and Dolby websites and both suggested different places to put the height speakers.  Dby suggested putting them directly above the front LR speakers while Audy says to put them a bit further out, like 15 degrees wider/away from the angles of the LR speakers.

Where would be a better place to put these speakers, if you want to have the flexibility of using either of the A DSX and D IIz formats as and when you wish?

Angle is the most important element that you need to play with...the logic is the same as toeing the 2 main speakers towards the listener - so as to get a more focused imaging...for height and width speaker placement...it requires some getting used to and fair amount of effort in experimenting the placement, particularly the angle directing at the listener...there's no sure-way of getting the RIGHT PLACEMENT for height speakers in this context.

Angle is the most important element that you need to play with...the logic is the same as toeing the 2 main speakers towards the listener - so as to get a more focused imaging...for height and width speaker placement...it requires some getting used to and fair amount of effort in experimenting the placement, particularly the angle directing at the listener...there's no sure-way of getting the RIGHT PLACEMENT for height speakers in this context.

Hi Desray,

I understand you have the NR3007.  I'm quite confused by the speaker limitations mentioned about this AVR.

Can this AVR output via the Audy DSX format to the following 9 speakers simultaneously?

C

FL and FR

HL and HR

WL and WR

SideL and R

(no back surrounds)

Hi Desray,

I understand you have the NR3007.  I'm quite confused by the speaker limitations mentioned about this AVR.

Can this AVR output via the Audy DSX format to the following 9 speakers simultaneously?

C

FL and FR

HL and HR

WL and WR

SideL and R

(no back surrounds)

IIRC the native 9.1/9.2 speaker settings will include the Surround Back channels...For Height and Width speakers to be activated simultaneously might not be possible here - its mutually exclusive...activate one and the other will be off...so to attain 9.1/9.2 speaker config - Surround Back will need to be included...let me check my manual once more to double confirm on that....but I'm pretty certain that you can't get both Width and Height speakers to work at the same time.

Surround speaker must be at around 110 degrees from north of  listener and must be above ear height. I find that this angle gives me the best surround effect. I put the back speakers at ear height before and it feels very unnatural. The spacious feeling disappeared if i put them at ear height.

Surround speaker must be at around 110 degrees from north of  listener and must be above ear height. I find that this angle gives me the best surround effect. I put the back speakers at ear height before and it feels very unnatural. The spacious feeling disappeared if i put them at ear height.

Thanks for your reply.  Question actually was referring to the front height speakers under the DSX and Dolby IIz formats.

Front speaker must be placed such that the tweeters are at ear height. This gives the best 3D effect. Front speakers positioned at 60 degree from north of listener. The front left and right speaker must not be position too far apart. I forgot the max distance they can be apart. I need to find my surround sound setup book first.