DAB radio discussion thread

DAB is a nascent technology and a fledging one, where the reception is flaky, but it does offer good quality radio when you can get a good reception.

Models vary in price, but start from $150 or so.

Denon offers a good tuner in the form of the 1500, which costs $3xx - but this is not a standalone unit.

I use a Sangean DDR 3 which give good sound.

Some use available here:

10 things about Digital Radio -

http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/testmaterial/ibc09_10things_digitalradio.pdf

DAB+ is a better technology. DAB signals are dull and boring. Unfortunately, Media Corpse has jumped onto the banwagon too soon; Redifussion broadcasts over improved DAB+ signals. DAB tuners are not forward compatible. DAB tuners are getting cheaper, as manufacturers are not producing them anymore. Sad story for S'pore

I have a Sony XDR-S55DAB and Marantz CR-601DAB.

Media Corpse already phase out TV Mobile ser.

Will they phase out DAB ser as well because it is not popular here.

DAB is the old school of thought for digital audio that transmit signals at low bit rate of 128kbps, which is deemed lower quality than FM; DAB+ is 192kbps that is certainly more pleasant to listen to. However, some countries have already been broadcasting DAB, and do not have plans to switch to DAB+ yet. Maybe, wait for the next phase of technology .... who knows?

Pls PM me if u thinking of selling the unit...

sold off this white elephant long ago liao.. Well I guess unless mediacorp upgrade to the DAB+ and have the signal strength boost to the same level as FM, this old technology can throw away liao. FM actually gives better audio quality..

• 1 year later...

Not getting the reception you want bro?

I also have a Sangean DDR-3 and DAB broadcast is good as it's non-stop and having no ad contents. I guess it's a good supplement for all audiophiles in order to their normal software.

Regards

Plenty of stations left:

http://www.digitalradio.sg/getdab.htm

Need dedicated DAB hardware to listen to DAB boradcast.

Internet Radio, which some of these local stations are broadcasting need no dedicated hardware. Just PC or laptop, or squeezebox or the latest AVR ....even a iPad or Iphone will get you all the stations in all the various countries you need...some even at 192K bitrate.

(Audio)