Is it worth to get a DAC?

Hi,

Currently, I have a TVIX M6500A hook up directly to the LCD TV for movies (no surround amplifier).

I was thinking to copy FLAC music files to the M6500A to play music through my Integrated Amplifier (Creek).

I know the limitation of the M6500A playing music, hence, I was thinking is it worth to add a DAC in between the M6500A and the Amplifier?

If the solution is recommended, which DAC should I consider?

Happy New Year to Everyone. :)

If U r comparing the analog outputs from the M6500A against using the M6500A digital output to a dedicated external DAC, the latter will definitely sound better.

As for which DAC to recommend, it depends on your budget.  ;)

Hi,

Currently, I have a TVIX M6500A hook up directly to the LCD TV for movies (no surround amplifier).

I was thinking to copy FLAC music files to the M6500A to play music through my Integrated Amplifier (Creek).

I know the limitation of the M6500A playing music, hence, I was thinking is it worth to add a DAC in between the M6500A and the Amplifier?

If the solution is recommended, which DAC should I consider?

Happy New Year to Everyone. :)

If U r comparing the analog outputs from the M6500A against using the M6500A digital output to a dedicated external DAC, the latter will definitely sound better.

As for which DAC to recommend, it depends on your budget.  ;)

Thanks for the reply.

Budget for DAC, around $1K.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I still have not decided on a DAC yet.

To cut the long story short, I was introduced to get a modded Behringer from US but took a long time to decide due to CO continuously rejection on the outlook of the unit. Hence, I was looking on CA dacmagic or Citypulse 7.2 plus I was offered a used Benchmark DAC1.

I was thinking to increase my budget to go into a better DAC, I was looking at Stello DA100 Signature or Xindak DAC-5.

Will audition the units at a later date.

In the meantime, how would the two units fair up (I knew the Xindak had SS+Tube)?

imho you should look for a neutral dac and one with optical and usb in.

Reason being that you're not held ransom by the dac if your taste should change, you can play around with amps - tube preamps to add in the warmth.

USB and Optical because if you get a netbook - cheap ones, you can plug in straight to your dac and stream your music straight if you want + the option of doing bit perfect.

Optical wise is another option to use a transport to your dac for your CD/DVD-A etc.

Given 1k, it is ample to find a dac - audio gd, little dot etc offer good value.

And some of them have headphone out which is a plus if you're into head fi.