Any audio system recommend?

Hi I am a new member and very new and green in setting up of a audio system. Looking for a CD player, amplifier and a pair of speaker. Mostly used for vocal and classical music. $$ at the range of $5k - $6k. Can anyone give some recommendation for my first audio system? Tks a lot.... ;D.

Note : I am open to any 2nd hand system as well....tks :o

That's very healty budget for the first system.

Start with speaker since speaker will determine the sound characteristics of the overall system. Give a budget of 3K for the speaker, preferably floorstander. Look around Adelphi with your familiar CD so you can judge which speaker is right for you. After that you need to settle the amp and CDP. Give a budget around 1-1.5K for each. Spend the rest (5-10%) of total budget for cable and interconnect. 

Hi maybe I can also share my views (based on my experience). I have same music preference as you.

Based on your preference, I would suggest you go for tube system.

I definitely agree with bros here that speakers are the most important part in the system. Get one you like, and you won't need to change for quite some time. I was using my Focus Audio (FS68) for more than 10 years, and never had the thought (or need) to upgrade. Then I found another one that I like (Orgue full-range).

With the balance money, next focus will be the amp. Again spend on one which you like. Balance money you can then get a reasonable CD player (Marantz is a good start basis your music preference and budget). Cables, I am using Belden which I think you may consider, as it gives good value money can buy. I believe many other bros can have other suggestions.

Enjoy your hobby. And remember, music is the aim, equipment is the means.

hi!

as many bros herementioned, speakers shld be smthing tat u shld invest most of ur $ in. i shld say at least 50% of ur budget.30%-40% of budget to amp + cdp and the rest on cables.

i think u must roguhly know the characteristic of each components so tat it can match nicely. then for cables & I/C, smtime it is trial & error lo.

gd luck in ur search... ;D

Guest jonlee

For a $6k system budget, don't think belden cables will be worthwile.  I'll recommend mogami 2803 and 2804 for a start ass they are fairly neutral cables.  Once all the system settle in, u can then change the cables to tweak (note it is tweak, not change) the sound to your liking.

For a $6k system budget, don't think belden cables will be worthwile.  I'll recommend mogami 2803 and 2804 for a start ass they are fairly neutral cables.  Once all the system settle in, u can then change the cables to tweak (note it is tweak, not change) the sound to your liking.

Hi Jon, I have not tried Mogami although I have heard about it. All my cable (power cord, IC and speaker cables) are from Belden. Do you mean Mogami is of higher grade than Belden? May I know about the cost and where I can get them? Would like to try and see how they are in my system. Thanks in advance.

hi!

i do like vocal very much. currently my setup i shld say it can handle very well to my ears. but mine is definately way cheaper than what he wants  :P. perhaps i shld play some classical piece to see how my setup can handle  ;D

For a $6k system budget, don't think belden cables will be worthwile.  I'll recommend mogami 2803 and 2804 for a start ass they are fairly neutral cables.  Once all the system settle in, u can then change the cables to tweak (note it is tweak, not change) the sound to your liking.

well Belden Studio 814 can kick some big boy ass out there if he is able to get himself some. I personally use 2803 and 814, not too bad as compare to 1313A and some silver plated speaker cables.  

Hi Jon, I have not tried Mogami although I have heard about it. All my cable (power cord, IC and speaker cables) are from Belden. Do you mean Mogami is of higher grade than Belden? May I know about the cost and where I can get them? Would like to try and see how they are in my system. Thanks in advance.

I got my mogami 2803 through an MO on echoloft and that guy import from japan, same goes for 814.

Guest ruzhyo

Just curious, what did the TS get for $5 - $6k?

Make a choice yet?  Listen to some systems already?

IMHO, get the best speakers you can afford.

If for me, $6k I would buy a pair of Harbeth speakers ($5k+/-) with cheaper CDP and int amp and use the stock cables.

Upgrade later if feel there is need.

Hi Experts..due to my busy work scedule, so far I can only  tried to listen to some of the speakers like (i.e. KEF XQ40 , ATC SCM 7 ,  FOCUS AUDIO FC 7 ) but so far FC 7 impressed me the most because of the price range  with the kind of quality sound that it give. Can anyone advise me  what amp shall i get if I decided to get FC 7? I have tried the FC 7 with HEGEL H1 and it give quite a balance perform in term of the vocal and insturment sound and also it come with quite a clean sound.. Any other amp that your can recommd with a good match of the speaker? I am open for tube and intergated amp. (mostly used for vocal and classical music including opera) I had tried the tuble amp for other speaker but found that the vocal part is good but instrument background is a bit "weak".  Any other speaker anyone can recomm.? Willing to go for  about $4k for speaker.  How about the Rogers LS3/5A (the 60th anniversay edition?) it cost about $4k too? but i heard that this speaker is not easy to match with the amp??? Humbly listen to all the proposal.......Thx.. Green Bird alto ;D

I would highly recommend tat u start with used eqpt. Tat would allow u to to sell off anything w/o much pain if u found tat its not suited to yr taste or system. Components and speakers can sound different in diff setups and rooms. Do plenty of listening, wherever u can so u can gauge the characteristics of the diff components. Bear in mind, what is good or best to others may not be so for u. Yr ears and pocket shd decide the final verdict. Enjoy the hunt!

Not sure if the newer series of Focus Audio are still using Eton's drivers. My FS68 is using Eton drivers with 8 Ohm Imp and 86db sensitivity. Eton are known for difficult to drive. With tube, I have driven it rather well with my PrimaLuna Prologue 1 (think it's 35wpc) and with SS, my NAD C352.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Experts after few rounds of audition of  the speakers. I finally narrow down my choice to Proac 140 or Focal Audio FS8 . Now the question is what CD player and tub amp to be used. Can your please give some advise ? Especially those owners with  the above speakers please share your view. Again I am more listen to vocal and classical music.  Thx  again.  ;D