anyone tried ceiling surround speakers?

Have a listen at the setup in ArtCoustic in Adelphi Level 1.

I was always pretty impressed with how well sorted the small Gallo speakers sounded. They never sounded like they were from above. More importantly, the room isn't exactly a "showroom" condition. It feels as cluttered and as untreated as most homes. IMHO that makes it all the more impressive.

While Audyssey can help, I believe the installation/positioning is just as important.

If your budget is higher, have a look at Thiel Powerpoints. I tend to agree with the late John Potis' conclusions so if I had to go for concealed speakers and my budget could afford it, I'd look really hard at these

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/thiel3/powerpoint.html

Listening to the setup at artcoustic - it appears they're using the onkyo 607 (iirc?) to power them, and they sounded really good in what looks like a non-optimised room. Imaging and quality was pretty good.

Well, good enough for me to buy a set for my new place - made my ID very happy too.

I have heard "in-ceiling" surround speakers in actual set-ups. Don't think I could can tell the difference!

Firstly, as these are mostly in the living rooms, such speakers are flushed with the ceilings & not at all obvious. Excellent for interior design! Or else some of you might have speakers sticking down in between the living & dining rooms.

Secondly, some models will even let you tilt the tweeters &/or woofers or both to cater for your seating position.

Cheers.

Obviously, if you keep the speakers in the same range/family, the pans would be more seamless

BUT with room acoustics playing such a big part in coloring sound, I found that with Audyssey AutoEQ in place, my chapalang setup feels fairly seamless. I am running Mirage NanoSats (front height, back surround), B&W CDM CSE center, B&W 601S2 side surround, Atlantic Tech wides and Thiel floorstanders for front L/R ;)

I think I will have to split HT and stereo speakers then. Getting tired of manually pressing the stupid Power Amp Direct button every time I change from Stereo to HT and vice versa. There is no remote button to enable/disable this function  >:(

Bro DH, I made a wrong judgement of having too short a surround speaker wire for the right side. What is the best way to extend it? Just copper wire to copper wire will do right? ???

Yes. It's just input 5, that can be configured as a regular line input or as an HT bypass.

My friend's Densen pre also does it.

As does the really big bang for the buck Emotiva pre.

ps for my extension cables, the guy in AVIT SLS got me one of those power cable extenders... they are made of plastic around internal copper connections and you use a screw to hold one end of one wire in.