cd player recommendation?

hey all,

was wondering if you could give some advice to a cdp that would likely fit the below set up. i've recently purchase a 5.1 set up. Tannoys rev signature series with a creek destiny amp.

lacking a cdp to complete the set up. i had auditioned the cyrus 8se previously and was very much impressed. but with a 3k price tag, i was wondering if there were other cdps i could consider.

could anyone tell me how the cyrus compares to the arcam cd37?

thanks for you time.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well things like Cyrus they are hyped up in the UK mag What Hifi but its not considered a good brand and hence you might have issues selling in the 2nd hand market.

I would stick to the more established brands... esp if you are a hifi newbie... easier to sell if you dont like and upgrade to other models...

I have a rega apollo just bought last month from asia sound. If you wan can audit.

cyrus and arcam? forget abt these

try Cambridge audio 840c, rega apollo, saturn, naim cd5iv2, consonance, marantz sa15s2, .....

all below the 3K mark

Agree with the above... you can also consider Oppo Blueray as it has multichannel surround...

Even 2k IMHO is overkill on an AVR unless he's got something like a well sorted preamp and power amp stage. That means something like an Arcam or Onkyo pre/pro or Denon pre/pro

A "source direct" mode doesn't suddenly makes an AVR into a competent stereo performer.

Ellsworth says he has a creek destiny amp....which is very good apparently.

http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/107creek/

Hey, can I ask where you got your creek destiny for and how much you paid pls. Am considering it myself as the Stereophile review was done with MA RS6...meant to be a good match. tks

Ellsworth says he has a creek destiny amp....which is very good apparently.

http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/107creek/

I got that, but then he said he was using 5.1 which kinda threw me off. Wasn't sure how he was hooking the Creek stereo setup to the rest of the 5.1 system. I dont think the Creek has a pre-bypass or HT bypass feature

Well things like Cyrus they are hyped up in the UK mag What Hifi but its not considered a good brand and hence you might have issues selling in the 2nd hand market.

I would stick to the more established brands... esp if you are a hifi newbie... easier to sell if you dont like and upgrade to other models...

I have a rega apollo just bought last month from asia sound. If you wan can audit.

Agree with the above... you can also consider Oppo Blueray as it has multichannel surround...

Thank you all for taking time to reply. =) I’m a real noob at this so pardon me if I dun get things right.

Sorry for any confusion. i did purchase a 5.1 HT setup. But I intend to listen to hifi via the front 2 speakers with the cpd/SACD connected to the creek destiny. Unless there are better suggestions as to how to run it?

why not arcam or cyrus? anything bad about them? what are the more established brands for cdps if the former 2 are not? i saw a marantz SA11-S2 selling for 2.7k. what do you all think of that?

The oppo blu ray player. It plays cd/SACDs. But I was under the impression that I dedicated cdp would be better? What other advantage does this kind of player provide other than a multi channel playing?

Look forth to your replies!~ thanks!

So the front speakers are connected to BOTH the AVR and the Creek?? How are u doing that?

thanks for the response doggie howser. i havent exactly got my set yet. still awaiting the reno to be done.

if i'm not wrong, the stereos would be powered by the creek. and when watching HT, both the creek and the AVR would be turned on. something along this line when i last spoke to staff from this audio shop. is this wrong?

thanks for the response doggie howser. i havent exactly got my set yet. still awaiting the reno to be done.

if i'm not wrong, the stereos would be powered by the creek. and when watching HT, both the creek and the AVR would be turned on. something along this line when i last spoke to staff from this audio shop. is this wrong?

I think what the shop is suggesting is that you connect from the pre-out of the 2 front speakers from your AVR to your R and L RCA inputs of your Creek amp. So, basically, your AVR pre-out for the 2 front mains will control the Creek amp like a power amp.

But, this means that your pre-out on the AVR may be a limiting factor....dunno how good the pre-out will make the source sound.

Actually, can be completely separate systems as well. Small Satellite/Sub/AVR/DVDP for HT and Speakers/Amp/CD for music.

I think most likely i think you are using the pre-out of AV and then connect to HT bypass of the creek (if it have it) as for CDP you are connecting directly to Creek right? I am doing the same for my setup at the moment.

Unless your cdp has variable line out where you can control the volume from the cdp directly, you will need to hook up your cdp to your avr. The avr preout will be connected to the creek power amp input. Your avr will then act as a preamp.

Your front mains (L/R) will be connected to the creek amp while (SR/SL/Centre/Sub) will be run from the avr.

For 2-channel music, you can switch avr to pure direct stereo mode. For HT, switch to dd or dts mode and all 5,1 speakers will be used. You will need to calibrate  your SR/SL/Centre/Sub to match with  the front mains (L/R) speaker though. Hope this helps.

Actually, can be completely separate systems as well. Small Satellite/Sub/AVR/DVDP for HT and Speakers/Amp/CD for music.

You could do that, but I think that a good speaker system for hifi can also make the whole home theater more cinematic, especially with orchestral soundtracks.

With such limited space in Singapore, seems a waste to have to work on two separate rooms and setups.

It looks like the Creek can be configured as a pure power amp.

In that way, you can use the AVRs pre-amp output to the power amp section of the Destiny.

But it looks kinda fiddly. Seems to require using a "matchstick" to toggle a switch in the back panel between the two modes. Most stereo pre-amps/integrated amps with HT bypass, including the really affordable Emotiva use a dedicated input that can be selected with a remote.

The Creek should still work as you want but in practice, can be a bit leceh.

So for your normal CD playback, use the matchstick to push the switch to "Join" mode.

Then use the Destiny amp as an integrated amp ie CD player analog output to Destiny CD input etc.

For AVR power amp duties, use the matchstick to push the switch to "Separate" mode.

I am not sure if you have bought your AVR yet, but make sure you get one with pre-amp OUTPUTS. Some lower end models don't support it.

this is a great deal.  grab it if can nego further.  :)

with your tannoy, i think a best of both world situation would be to have an av pre-pro with mch power amp.  marantz av8003, or the onkyo sc5507 are both reputable av pre-pros.  mch power amps like marantz mm8003 or the emotiva xpa-5 will be great addition.

cheers,

wps

I think with his intention, creek destiny might not be a good option as it will be tedious to toggle between power and int with a "matchstick".

As discussed b4, the best option for people who wants to integrate AVR + int amp with one set of speaker is to get an int amp with HT bypass which can be toggle with a button and not a matchstick. If you haven't get your stuff, you might want to rethink your requirements b4 you regret and start selling your stuff.