crackling speakers

hi guys... was wondering if you have some solutions/views on this.

i was running transformers 2 blu ray just now using my bdp 1400 when my family was here. it is hooked up to my denon avr -> psb alpha intros via analog and i tend to use this configuration because i use the blu ray player to decode the audio (especially if it is dolby tru-hd or pcm 5.1).

just now, i heard some crackling sound from the rear and front speakers. this is not the first time i heard these sounds. previously when i use my nmt for video playback (hooked to the avr via toslink for audio) i also heard similar crackling sounds, albeit infrequently. i was wondering whether this could be due to connection issues, faulty avr, or whether it is because my speakers are not able to take the power from the avr and had been damaged. my system is over 2 years old.

any ideas/solutions please?

Like to understand a bit more. Since congsterz mention the cracking sound only comes occasionally, how do we determine if it's the speaker spoil? I have the impression that if indeed the speaker is spoiled, the crackling sound should be always there?

Frequency cross-over setting wrong?

Check to see if yr surr is set to "small"... Crackling sound usually happens to small cones that can't take low bass or even mid bass... Usually, set it to ard 120 to even 200hz may help for small satellite speakers... Check also yr speaker's frequency response capability before doing appropriate settings... I doubt the speakers spoilt... Avoid passing LFE to yr surr spks.