How many of us are only watching Blu Ray now?

Just curious about this.

I recently visited a friend and there was a certain surprise when I fished out a SD DVD to pass to him.

It seems that many of our XP people - i.e. seriously extreme folks have stopped viewing DVDs and VCDs....

Anyone out there solely viewing BR or are there people like me who still dabble in SD DVD?

For most new movies, I get BR discs, but the price of SD DVDs allows me to try out some movies which I would otherwise shun, since the cost of an R6 DVD is quite low compared to a BR disc.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely go for blu ray if possible, but some titles are only available in SD DVD. But I have been buying less SD DVD these days. Anyway, not all blur ray have good or excellent PQ and SQ, I have seen some SD DVD titles almost on par with 'lower quality' blu ray.

Just my 2 cents comments.... :)

Definitely watching BR only. i still have have some SD DVDs but its nothin like BR. The problem is only when you try so painstakingly hard to convince friends and relatives to go Full HD with BR. They simply do not understand the gist of it. ( or rather not interested ). Notice how Sony plan their promotion drive to sell their Sony S360 saying that SD DVDs will be better playing on it. Then you hear misguided sales staff at the recent show telling people BR are exp over $60, so save money by downloading their fav movies to playback on media players. little they know BR can be bought for prices as low as $20 new & sealed.

heheh i know someone with huge collection of SD DVDs which he now puts aside to make way for BRs. guess you know who i am talking about huh Pete.  ;)

Actually bro

I still keep some of those about 5-700 SD DVDs. Some of which I may never upgrade. Its simple economics, it will cost way too much, and I am ok with the PQ on my 50" Pioneer, but I can imagine that using a PJ, at 100" the difference can be too much to bear.

I am counting on cheap PRC imports, Amazon and other external sources to feed my habit. At last count, I have >150 BR discs and about 70 HD DVDs.

The amount spent can easily buy kids in China a lot of food, so instead of upgrading everything, I will feed them instead :)

I too have stop browsing DVDs nowadays but its true that some movies are still not available on BR & maybe never. Great films like STARDUST for instance.

To date I only have a modest 38 pieces of BR & maybe 300++ of SD DVDs. BR has definetely change my watching experience.

Vieri

Well... Not everything is converted to BR, neither are they feasible to be in BR format... So, I am certain DVD will still be around - I just bought ABBA in Japan DVD as it's only available in that format.

Anyway, I think I controlled my spending pretty well in the beginning.. I build a collection of 246 DVDs over 11 years... However, when the format war ended, within 1 year, I had 50 BRs in my collection. All of which I think is a modest (or even small) collection compare to some...  :P

Anyway.. I have to stopped. I got no more space to hold them - got to think of how to reorganise them during the holidays; I also need juice for other stuff like getting the HT system to go with the BR player!!!!

Its ok bro.

IMO PQ is the biggest jump.

And if the movie is exciting, BR or SD DVD is fine!

In fact between owning 10 BR discs or say owning all the movies that I wish to keep, I would choose the latter if budget is an issue.

The cheaper media allows to to try movies I would never touch otherwise. After all not every movie is a blockbuster type with lots of 'boomz'!

I must say, I have kept some of my older movies on VCD, so I can play it on holidays to keep my passengers entertained. On that tiny 4" screen in the car, with all that noise in the background, even a VCR is fine...

I'm still living in DVD era.  :'(

So with BR, which area gives more improvement, Audio or Video, assuming the speaker or display is not the limiting factor for improvement?

So with BR, which area gives more improvement, Audio or Video, assuming the speaker or display is not the limiting factor for improvement?

In my situation, the improvements are very significant ...both in picture quality and in sound quality as well.

(Audio)

Last night I load up "Eagles - Live in Melborne" on HDDVD.  Very awesome.......

I still watch a lot of DVDs. Then again, maybe I don't have a huge HDTV in the first place, so that may explain why I don't have that many.

Of course, there are many other factors. The cost is definitely one of the top reasons as well. BDs are just not cheap. Even with lobangs here on this forum.

Right now, I have a very modest 7 BDs in my collection compared to many of you guys here. :)

But I'm totally fine with it. I only reserve my cash for the exceptional and unique titles. It may not necessarily have the best story, but it must have something else to draw me in. Fine example: Speed Racer. Hehe.

Right off the bat, everybody will immediately notice the picture quality jump even with the smallest of HDTVs.

Then with the right home theater system and in the right environment, you can hear the difference in AQ, especially with lossless soundtracks.

I have strenuously resisted the temptation to upgrade existing SD DVDs to BD, save for 'must have' titles.  I did so recently with The Matrix (only US$13 during Black Friday sales), and compared it with the earlier Ultimate Collection disc.  Sheesh, the improvement in PQ and SQ is really testing my resolve on other titles.

But sometimes you have no choice, some new titles are not available on BD (e.g. recently bought the documentary The War). So I still buy the occasional SD DVD, but for new movie titles that is quite rare now, inevitably I get the BD.

To even think when HDDVD and Blu Ray were introduced some 3 years ago, some even claimed that they could not see any diff between HD disc and normal SD-DVD.  What a wild claim!  Now, we can't even tahan DVD.

(Audio)

My purchases are about 80% Blu-ray, 5% DVD and 15% iTunes movies.

By and large, I usually buy Blu-ray. However, for talkies or comedies where the PQ and SQ isn't so important, I sometimes buy off iTunes instead to save some money, and I also buy older nostalgia titles off iTunes. I generally only buy DVDs nowadays if the title is unavailable in either of the other two formats.

I tried the Itunes way, but it is really expensive man...

So I went back to R6, or other sources.

My purchases are about 80% Blu-ray, 5% DVD and 15% iTunes movies.

By and large, I usually buy Blu-ray. However, for talkies or comedies where the PQ and SQ isn't so important, I sometimes buy off iTunes instead to save some money, and I also buy older nostalgia titles off iTunes. I generally only buy DVDs nowadays if the title is unavailable in either of the other two formats.

I think 4K HD is possible now. But I doubt we will see that so soon.

The current 1080p HD is just starting to grow out of its infancy stage. And Blu-ray's momentum is going strong with the number of releases at the moment. It will not make any economical sense to suddenly change from 1080p HD to 4K HD during this time.

Maybe twenty years from now when huge ass projectors are the norm. When the next-generation of storage medium can store 1TB of data, and video and audio can be lossless.

only 16.3% of my collection consists of BR titles... but I'm okay with it  ;D

as long as DVDs die a long, slow and painful death like VHS did then I can postpone my worries :p

or maybe I'll get lucky and DVDs will prove to be like what cockroaches the VCDs are by still surviving in our local market ;)

• 3 weeks later...

For myself, will only spend on BR if they are those "must-get" titles. Band of Brothers, Dark Knight, Bourne Trilogy, Matrix Collection etc.... some of the titles are still quite expensive (to me  ;D) Noticed there is no LOTR Trilogy BR....... or already come out but i dono?

As for DVD, still will get cos cheaper mah..... by the way, anyone thinks upscaled DVD PQ and BR PQ got difference? I look at same movie for both and find very little difference leh...... or i need to have my eyes checked?  :P

Guest francis woo

For myself, will only spend on BR if they are those "must-get" titles. Band of Brothers, Dark Knight, Bourne Trilogy, Matrix Collection etc.... some of the titles are still quite expensive (to me  ;D) Noticed there is no LOTR Trilogy BR....... or already come out but i dono?

As for DVD, still will get cos cheaper mah..... by the way, anyone thinks upscaled DVD PQ and BR PQ got difference? I look at same movie for both and find very little difference leh...... or i need to have my eyes checked?  :P

You must be  looking at a 7" monitor if you cannot spot any difference!!........... ;D ;D