Panasonic AE4000 and lipsync

I saw a brief demo of the AE4000 today and noticed a lipsync issue while Frame Mode 1 (something like that) was on. When there was no frame mode on, the audio and video were in sync.

I raised a similar issue in an AE3000 thread but got no reply, so my apologies for repeating this here. Does this mean your receiver needs to have a lipsync delay option? Does the lag vary by frame mode and/or material? Does this mean you have to adjust the lipsync delay every time you start watching a movie? I'm guessing the answer must surely be no, but then how is it dealt with?

I read somewhere that the HDMI 1.3 spec requires auto lipsync to be offered as an option, but I don't know if this is true and I have to admit I didn't check on how the AE4000 was hooked up.

Can anyone shed some light?

Yes, it's the frame interpolation.

This lipsync adjustment sounds like a PITA. So if I get a brand new disk and want to show it off to friends and family I have to tell them to wait a bit while I get to some part with dialogue and adjust the lipsync delay. I suppose if the delay is consistent then once it's "dialed in" it doesn't have to be redone. But does if differ depending on the original source material and frame interpolation mode?

Yes, it's the frame interpolation.

This lipsync adjustment sounds like a PITA. So if I get a brand new disk and want to show it off to friends and family I have to tell them to wait a bit while I get to some part with dialogue and adjust the lipsync delay. I suppose if the delay is consistent then once it's "dialed in" it doesn't have to be redone. But does if differ depending on the original source material and frame interpolation mode?

I saw the Epson TW4500 frame interpolation in action - and I must say its very unreal...Watched the Transformers opening scene and everything seems to double-up...too smooth until its very unreal. But I didn't notice any lipsync issue on TW4500...not sure about AE4000 though.

neither the Panny nor Epson should have lipsync issue , as AVR aftter HDMI version 1.3a should have Auto sync on HDMI and for Panny also have the Viera link to comunicate with the AVR .

For the setting of delay is a one time affair , but some AVR also have video process and that also cause further time lapse.

Anyone notice True HD 7.1 on 24p have more delay than just 50/60 hz ? ;D

But is HDMI auto sync really so automatic? Discussions around the web are either vague PR type statements or quite dismissive saying it's not really automatic at all, but instead just allows you to set one delay that will apply to all sources. If this is correct, then the delay is going to be applied regardless of whether frame interpolation is on.

To me, if it was truly automatic, it would change the delay according to whatever is required based on the video mode. Perhaps this is technically difficult (or impossible) but I think that's what consumers would expect if HDMI claims it's automatic.