Need advice on Power Amp

Dear all,

After some suggestion from a helpful friend here, i'm on the myth of researching for a power amp for my HT setup and i'm considering the Emotiva XPA-3 which providing 200W (continuous) for 3 channel (front&center). However after checking the Heco Metas Center 2 spec i found out this:

Configuration: 2-way bass reflex

Power-handling capacity: 100 / 160 W

Impedance: 4 – 8 ohms

Frequency response:34 – 42 000 Hz

Recommended amplifier output: 30 – 160 W

Efficiency (1W/1m):  90 dB

Dimensions (WxHxD):  530 x 170 x 295 mm

Hence am i right to say that my Heco Metas Center 2 will not be able to use with the Emo XPA-3 (it will be overpowered if connected) and can lead to damaging of the speaker? Please help me on this matter. Thank you very much.

With bigger power powering your Heco at low volume you'll be able to achieve better quality sound unless you're going to overblast till it damage :P

Playing it at reasonable audible volume will not damage the speakers ;)

With bigger power powering your Heco at low volume you'll be able to achieve better quality sound unless you're going to overblast till it damage :P

Playing it at reasonable audible volume will not damage the speakers ;)

Spot-on.  If anything, underpowered amps damage speakers through clipping.

Also, even though rated at 200W, that only comes at peak transients, and isn't a continuous feed of 200W anyway.  More power on tap is usually a good thing, even if you don't go all the way "to 11".

Spot-on.  If anything, underpowered amps damage speakers through clipping.

Also, even though rated at 200W, that only comes at peak transients, and isn't a continuous feed of 200W anyway.  More power on tap is usually a good thing, even if you don't go all the way "to 11".

Based on what the Emotiva website mentioned on the XPA-3:

"When we say 600 watts, we mean 600 watts. That's the minimum output power of the XPA-3, with all channels driven. No excuses, no small print. No disclaimers. Just real, honest power."

http://emotiva.com/xpa3.shtm

I believe it will provide constant 200W at 8Ohm to each channel. Hence will it damage my Center speaker when conntected to the XPA-3 or only when i push the sound volume to max? Please advice since i don't want to regret after ordering the XPA-3 :(. Thank you so much.

I believe it will provide constant 200W at 8Ohm to each channel. Hence will it damage my Center speaker when conntected to the XPA-3 or only when i push the sound volume to max? Please advice since i don't want to regret after ordering the XPA-3 :(. Thank you so much.

Errrr, no.  If the source is silent, the amp provides no power to the speaker, since there's nothing going on. I think what they mean is that when pushing the max at source (i.e the source is really loud and noisy material), and you've also turned the volume up, each channel can and will provide at least 200W power at the same time -- I must say if that's true it is a most impressive piece of equipment. 

So again, moderation is key: don't crank it up, you should be fine.

Many amps advertise things like "120W per channel x 7 channels" but in reality it's 120W in one channel only when that one channel is operating, when all 7 are driving hard each channel can maybe only reach 70W max.  All marketing double-speak, unfortunately, and they get away with it.  As Emotiva themselves put it:-

120W x 7 (8 Ohm 20-20kHz 0.09%THD) - Sounds great, doesn't it? But look a little deeper into the specifications, and you'll see it again, but listed as a 'Channel Power Rating'. What does that mean? It's called 'fine print...a disclaimer.

It means that one (maybe two) channels can make that rated output, at that specification for a finite amount of time. It doesn't mean that all seven channels, working at the same time, and at the same power level, can come anywhere close to the cumulative power rating of 840 watts that the specs indicate at first glance (7 x 120 = 840). You get the idea. Something had to give. That something was power.

Come to think of it, my own Marantz SR8002 claims 120W x 7, but the power supply is only 400W.  Does not compute, correct?  And even though I only run 5 channels, 120 x5 is 600W, still more than the supply's limit of 400W anyway.  (Although in reality, I can hardly imagine a situation where the surrounds require as much power as the fronts.)  So my take is Emotiva is trying to say that they aren't spouting marketing drivel when they claim their 600W into 3 channels, at 200W x 3.

But: what AVR are you currently using?  I don't find my 8002 underpowered at all, but then again I don't have the luxury of a dedicated HT room and rarely listen at ear-blasting reference level.

Thank you for your quick response. I don't normally crank up my volume but i just scare if in some noisy scene with loud explosion that will hurt my Center with the XPA-3 since the difference between 200W(min of the Emotiva XPA-3 with all outputs driven) and 160W (max of the Center) is quite alot. Hence i want to seek for advice to make sure that there will be no hurt on the Center unless i crank up the volume.

More power is better than low power.

Low power amp: If you want to listen loud and crank up the volume, the amp may not have enough power to drive and distort the speakers. You'll hear the distortion sound and need to quickly lower the voulme, otherwise the speakers will damage.

High power amp: If you want to listen loud and crank up the volume, the amp has enough power to drive the speakers smoothly without distortion. If you drive the drive the speakers more than it could handle, it would also damage the speakers. This means that you're listening to an insane loud volume that anyone's ears could take.

Assuming the 'volume control knob' is 'water tap' and 'power' is 'water'. You use the water tap to control the amount of water you want. Same for the power amp, you control the amount of power goes into the speakers.

If all channels of the speakers are calibrated to the same sound level, it should not damage any speaker including centre when there is noisy or loud explosion scene.

Btw, I'm using 80W speakers with 200W power amp. 

More power is better than low power.

Low power amp: If you want to listen loud and crank up the volume, the amp may not have enough power to drive and distort the speakers. You'll hear the distortion sound and need to quickly lower the voulme, otherwise the speakers will damage.

High power amp: If you want to listen loud and crank up the volume, the amp has enough power to drive the speakers smoothly without distortion. If you drive the drive the speakers more than it could handle, it would also damage the speakers. This means that you're listening to an insane loud volume that anyone's ears could take.

Assuming the 'volume control knob' is 'water tap' and 'power' is 'water'. You use the water tap to control the amount of water you want. Same for the power amp, you control the amount of power goes into the speakers.

If all channels of the speakers are calibrated to the same sound level, it should not damage any speaker including centre when there is noisy or loud explosion scene.

Btw, I'm using 80W speakers with 200W power amp. 

Thank you so much DanDon, your last sentence helped a lot in reassuring me on buying the XPA-3. Thanks all again for clearing my doubt.

correct,  high power amp is better.

my 100w x 5 power amp power supply is 800w. So can the power amp go beyond 100w? or max is still at 500w.

i also found out my 120w x 5 power amp is 800w also.

missyoumuch, y dont u get xpa5

My surround speakers are cheapo hence i don't expect much. The Yam should be more then enough for the 2 surround speakers. Hence i'll let the AVR drives the surround and XPA-3 for the front & center.

My surround speakers are cheapo hence i don't expect much. The Yam should be more then enough for the 2 surround speakers. Hence i'll let the AVR drives the surround and XPA-3 for the front & center.

Hi There Missyoumuch! I intent to follow you speaker connection as above. Pls advise if  the following connection are the correct procedure;

a) From blu-ray video out direct to TV with a HDMI cable.

b) From blu-ray audio out using red and white RCA cables, to AVR audio in.

c) 2 surround out from AVR to surround speakers and finally..

d) Front & center audio out from blu-ray to XPA-3

thanks

Ed

Hi There Missyoumuch! I intent to follow you speaker connection as above. Pls advise if  the following connection are the correct procedure;

a) From blu-ray video out direct to TV with a HDMI cable.

b) From blu-ray audio out using red and white RCA cables, to AVR audio in.

c) 2 surround out from AVR to surround speakers and finally..

d) Front & center audio out from blu-ray to XPA-3

thanks

Ed

Your AVR got HDMI in/out?

Yes, it does - 3 input and 1 out to TV - It is a Sherwood RD7503

Ed

If your AVR has pre-outs, the most ideal connection would be to get 2 HDMI cables:

BR player HDMI out --> AVR HDMI in (HDMI cable 1)

AVR HDMI out --> TV (HDMI cable 2)

AVR L-C-R preouts to XPA-3

XPA-3 speaker out --> L-C-R speakers

AVR surround speaker out --> Surround speakers

If your AVR has pre-outs, the most ideal connection would be to get 2 HDMI cables:

BR player HDMI out --> AVR HDMI in (HDMI cable 1)

AVR HDMI out --> TV (HDMI cable 2)

AVR L-C-R preouts to XPA-3

XPA-3 speaker out --> L-C-R speakers

AVR surround speaker out --> Surround speakers

Thanks humyt, MY sherwood AVR does not have pre-out.What options could you advise.

Ed