Newbie need some Advice on Setting Up HTS

Hi all, I  been reading the threads and stickies but still got some queries to clear up...

am setting up a HT system with a 2.5k-3k budget. Am thinking of getting a Denon avr1910, with wharfedale dia9 or 10 speakers, 2x speaker stands

jus for some information am planning to use it for blu-ray movies/gaming 75%, music 25%...to be used in a 450sqf living room with no sound treatment…

My place is currently under renovation and the time has come for doing the electrical trunking and my contractor has asked me to get the spk cables to be lay within the trunking (mainly L&R surrounds)

Can I ask you guys opinion for

1) what brand and price of cables should i get for the wharfedale diamonds? I need about 10-12m each for each of my surround spk...i dun mind paying for something decent that i dont need to upgrade for some time as it would be a major hassle to remove the wire from the trunking…. but not something so high-end that would go unnotice in a non-sound treated room...

2) is it better to buy the system along with the cables all at one place,or go somewhere to source separately eg. LHS to get cables, then go back to KEC to get the spk/avr ?

3) for the HT am about to get, where do you think is a good place and person to buy from? am more concern over good service and knowledgeable staff as compare to saving a few bucks…

4) base on the budget, what kick-in-the-chest kind of sub can I get?

Really appreciate all brothers who can shed some light, thanx!

Bro welcome to XP.

Some of this is covered in the systems thread.

2.5-3k for all those items will be a little tight if you wish to get:

Amp - Denon, Marantz & Onkyo have models which fit an under 1k budget, but note that having pre-outs is useful which the 1910 does not have.

Speakers - Wharfs are fine, also consider Ushers for the fronts (I have a gloss black pair spare, new that you can have for $390). Save some $$ by using cheaper surrounds and only setting up 5.1

Sub: kick in the chest subs have a strong SPL and good depth with slam. You will need >1k, look up SVS or Velodyne.

KEC, Anson or even Seng Heng offer setup options, it is for you to develop a relationship with them, and don't just go for price.

Cables: LHS has many options, you can wire up for 7.1 if you like, they can advise you on cables, and you can use cheaper cables for the surrounds to save.

One way of saving $ is to get 2nd hand items eg subs or the previous gen amps.

Also look at the owner threads for what others have already bought as their combination. It will give you some ideas.

Since you have read the stickies, you will know room treatment and work to calibrate your system is needed regardless of what you buy to get the best out of your system.

I will not be replyng this as I am away.

1. The forumers here like belden from LHS. Personally I don't see an issue just asking for a bundle if buying everything from a shop. I started off with a wharfedale system too and the shop included some10m cables for my surrounds which I am still using until today. I don't particularly think surround cabling is that important unless you are very particular about surround music and have matching front/rears.

2. For hassle-free + bundle pricing, just get all from KEC. If you want to wait to buy your system or are buying from separate shops, buy the cables from LHS first so you can install it in.

3. KEC for good service and installation. Only issue is shop tend to be busy sometimes.

4. The favourite brand here is SVS. :) Also available at KEC now, but you can find some 2nd hand ones on the market. IMO, they are fairly reliable so it's ok to buy used.

Hey really appreciate all the replies and the patience...

the pre-outs would be useful as a upgrade path i guess...maybe i got to consider onkyos 607/707 or denon 2310 (there goes the budget...) ...guess will audit them to find out...

i seen Belden 1313a being mention often, they must be good...but i assume KEC dont carry them?  it will be nice to save my effort and time and get a more complete service by getting everything from one place, am sure KEC also have good cables bah?

By the way if i go down to KEC, is there anyone particularly "newbie friendly" i should approach?

more opinions are also welcome for my earlier queries...thanx!

Denon Singapore has promotion for avr-2310 in which the free gift is Boston 5.1 speaker. List price is SGD$1600 but you should be able to get it cheaper. You just need to get a blue ray or dvd player to make up a decent hts for about SGD$2k.

With 1k left over, you can get a a better sub to have more slam in your movies since you are more into ht/games 75% of the time. The free speakers will do fine for ht/games.

2310 has preouts which you can add on a power amp next time if the need arises.

Get a PS3 Slim - you get gaming and a BD player at the same time. About $500.

Look at the classifieds here for a 2nd hand SVS. There were a couple of PC20-39+ available last week, not sure sold or not. About $1k.

That leaves you with $1.5k for an AVR + 5 speakers.

:)

Get a PS3 Slim - you get gaming and a BD player at the same time. About $500.

Look at the classifieds here for a 2nd hand SVS. There were a couple of PC20-39+ available last week, not sure sold or not. About $1k.

That leaves you with $1.5k for an AVR + 5 speakers.

:)

thanx for all the response! in the end i took the safer and less hassle route of getting everything from KEC... i was recommended to get Chord Company Carnival Classic for my L and R surrounds all 30m of them... and Chord Company Silver Screen for the fronts... any opinions on these cables? haha i actually have no idea how they will sound like paired with Wharfedale Diamond (that is if i get them in the end)...

I already got a Ps3 and a Sony 52W4000...ya will put them to good use with my increasing blu-ray collection from Amazon...

A few systems i intend to audit will be Denon 1910, Onkyo 607 and Yamaha RX765...

ya will also look out for budget 2nd hand receivers and sub... i was recommended by KEC Velodyne cht8/10 and wharfe SW150...the SVS i saw there was HUGE...not sure got place for that monster...