Do I need to upgrade?

Hi all,

Currently using Yammy RXV540 with my PC via Coaxial. Using very old JBL 5 speakers, Sherwood Sub.

All were 2nd hand from bros in XP.

Use for music and movies, 50/50 usage. Looking at the sources of the files (mp3 256kbps min and mkv with 720p or 1080p ripped), not sure if it will show significant improvement from my current settings. Or better stay put since my sources are of 'low' quality, and not direct from those Audio/Bluray Disc.

Thanks.

Actually mkv files have better quality than dvd. Since in the past many bros here already playing dvd with much better speaker, i don't see why you couldn't get improved performance from upgrading.

This question is very subjective. To me it is just how much the user value HT performance over money, or rather, how poisoned you are :D So it's really your call here

My 2 cents ..

Hi ralfale...thanks.

my current system as follows:

Yammy RXV540

F L/R - JBL XE3

C - JBL SC305

R L/R - just switched to VAV Space-A6 for testing. got it free from the bro when i bought the center speaker

S - Sherwood SP-312W

Repair done on the tweeter for F L/R, the speakers look bulky/antique and sit on my PC desk.

last time just think of affortable 2nd hand and enjoy 5.1 surround during school time.

Got budget contraint, not sure what i could get at $500. will consider more, depends on the bonus 2 mths later.

Actually mkv files have better quality than dvd. Since in the past many bros here already playing dvd with much better speaker, i don't see why you couldn't get improved performance from upgrading.

This question is very subjective. To me it is just how much the user value HT performance over money, or rather, how poisoned you are :D So it's really your call here

My 2 cents ..