The debate on Lcd vs Dila vs Dlp and Review

LCD: the idea is to get it cheap and good bro! no need high CR. make sure it's bright and with huge dynamic CR aka TV style propaganda.  Bluish tint cool color temp habit dies hard.  small fill factor actually becomes a benefit: it looks "sharp" man! For 2k you get everything you want, with a plus, no brainer. Never mind the panel fading after a few yrs, no one uses that long. They would have all upgraded.

DiLA: it's still LCD but sideways. CR level used to be pathetic until JVC reinvented the back pane. Now, king of CR, black level. moderately overpriced. Fill factor so high people complain not sharp. Has this organic feel closest to a CRT.  Real movie buffs swear by it.  Can even achieve perfect colormetrics and grey scale.  But real big problem on motion blur. Panel inherent problem, related to the digital panel.  Looking forward to new enhancement, if JVC dun go bankrupt.

DLP: biggest disappointment in these 2 yrs. No new breakthrough in CR. Used to be the king on on/off and ansi CR.  Ansi part still holds, more punchy, but on/off part overtaken by DiLA. Single chip model still the sharpest.  Had some hope on dynamic bulb dimming, but too unreliable on the color spectrum.  Everyone is waiting for LED source, which promises to kill all competitors: native 1million CR, 2000lumens at D65, total noise less.  However, cost no object 3DLPs still rule as the best of best PJs, with most (all?) commercial digital projections using them.

ok I did my part  ;)

For me, its between DLP and DILA (SXRD??), while noting that LCD comes pretty close and is value for money.

The reason why I don't think its worth getting DILA is that my viewing environment is not 100% dark during the day. Even at night, I have white walls and a large floor to ceiling mirror on one side of the room. Hence, I will never ever see the fabulous On/Off contrast and inky blacks advertised by DILA. In fact the maximum night scenes will be difficult to distinguish from current generation DLP and LCD so why spend the money. DLP with a powerful lamp I feel is the best for producing the punchiest images in a not 100% dark room.

Thanks for the summary, c722.

How long does the panel start to fade on LCD? I had my AE700 for a number of years but can't say I noticed it. I heard the new organic LCD panels are supposed to be better but then again, we've not really had them that long before.

DLPs with their "mechanical" wheel may also suffer in reliability in the long run, from what I've seen in AVS, though I doubt most of us ever have our projectors that long here either ;)

The other issue that LCDs suffer from is dust in the light path.