Finished my Bass traps

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly smoothed out the range from 90-300hz, must sound much more controlled? Nice job.

Indeed, the bass is really full and tight now. Its also filled in the 40hz range. The decay is dramatically reduced, ill put up some RT60 graphs. I wish I could fill in 90-120 range a bit more

Can you pull the speakers out into the room? they look close to what seems to be glass sliding doors behind them.

Pulling the speakers out makes the speakers perform terribily, through ALOT of trial and error they work best just against the glass in this room.

RT graphs here. I need to play around by moving the panels/traps around now, I think they can do alot better in the right spots

rt60before.jpg

rt60after.jpg

Fair 'nuff... I think the RT60 graphs show the same as the waterfall graphs - the low freq's (<100Hz) don't decay as fast as the rest of the spectrum. I wondered if that was partly due to the speaker/back wall response. However, no matter what the measurements say if it sounds great you might be at the "best" solution anyway. You said you have built 6 traps - in the picture is that 2 traps or 1? They look great btw - what will you cover them with? In the measurements are you only using traps near the speakers - what about the other end of the room?

Regards Frank

Fair 'nuff... I think the RT60 graphs show the same as the waterfall graphs - the low freq's (<100Hz) don't decay as fast as the rest of the spectrum. I wondered if that was partly due to the speaker/back wall response. However, no matter what the measurements say if it sounds great you might be at the "best" solution anyway. You said you have built 6 traps - in the picture is that 2 traps or 1? They look great btw - what will you cover them with? In the measurements are you only using traps near the speakers - what about the other end of the room?

Regards Frank

Hi Frank, you're right, they take longer. I found if I move the speakers into the room, that pushes my listening position back a bit and then the bass is almost non existant :) The speakers are bass shy as it stands, Im trialing some verity audio speakers this week which might improve that and allow more flexible placement.

Yes, the photo shows 2. In the right corner, I have the same setup. In the middle, between the speakers I have another 2 side by side. I found if I stacked them I didnt get the fill around the 100-120 hz. There also seems to be a real lack there also. I'm going to try and play around with the listening position to improve the null around that frequency, perhaps that will allow better decay of the bass as well.

I'm going to cover them in Triolgy one material, the early reflections in another material of a different color. Ill spend this week playing with the traps location.

I'm also toying with a removable ceiling cloud, as Ive got about 3 sheets of absorb XHD left and quite a bit of timber.

The rear of the room doesnt have any room for treatment as its a kitchen area so im kinda limited. That said, the speakers are approx 7 meters from the rear wall/kitchen

What is the AQUA color, EDT60 a measure of? it seems to be very different ot the others...

Didnt change anything Paul.

I moved the speakers and stuff a bit more around today... I cant work out which is the lesser of the two evils

Yesterday, prior to move

yesterdayl.jpg

Today after moving

todayfj.jpg

Edited by dastrix

Didnt change anything Paul.

I moved the speakers and stuff a bit more around today... I cant work out which is the lesser of the two evils]

2nd one maybe, the "hole" has moved up the freqency spectrum a small mount. Which sounds better to your ears? Try listening over a few days.

2nd one maybe, the "hole" has moved up the freqency spectrum a small mount. Which sounds better to your ears? Try listening over a few days.

Hard to tell.. its small.... Ill listen and see how it goes.

I tell you this stuff is painful!

You've changed the time scale and that can skew the results a bit - just keep that in mind. From 300 ms to 400.

The traps are damping the ringing so you can see things smooth out.

Ah, yes woops I did that. To see how long it rings for...

Just not enough :) I cant add any more traps in this room without it looking terrible.... MAYBE a ceiling one....

So how do you find the result?

In looking at the charts, I'd guess that there is an improvement that should be pretty easy to pick. Your more recent chart has made some regions better, others worse.

It's inconvenient that traps need to be very big to do all that they can do. Given that you have some limits, another thing to consider is EQ. If you've put in as many traps as you can live with, then I'd find the best placement (consider LP and SP), use a little EQ to improve things and apply a bit of a room curve below 200 Hz.

Hard to tell.. its small.... Ill listen and see how it goes.

I tell you this stuff is painful!

Yea, go for which ever sounds best to you.

Measurements are good, but it still has to sound good.

As for it been painful, welcome to my world.

Though now i am enjoying moving things around to see what changes can be had.

Have had some interesting results,, and has become a good little learning curve.

So how do you find the result?

In looking at the charts, I'd guess that there is an improvement that should be pretty easy to pick. Your more recent chart has made some regions better, others worse.

It's inconvenient that traps need to be very big to do all that they can do. Given that you have some limits, another thing to consider is EQ. If you've put in as many traps as you can live with, then I'd find the best placement (consider LP and SP), use a little EQ to improve things and apply a bit of a room curve below 200 Hz.

Hi Paul,

i think i need to listen to it for a few days and see what I think.... when you say EQ, what should I look at in a unit or do you know of one? Im trying some new speakers this weekend so ill measure them too and see what occurs... I guess there shouldnt be a difference right a different set of speakers right?

I wish I could just fill in some of the nulls. I COULD do the ceiling... but its troublesome... would there be alot of merit there for the nulls at 120hz and around 180hz? Im assuming a ceiling cloud wouldnt do alot for the 60hz null.

In terms of improvement the bass sounds nicer, tighter and but with todays changes, less deep. I think the deeper sound was when the speakers were nearlly against the glass, perhaps it was unnaturally full/deep

Hi Paul,

i think i need to listen to it for a few days and see what I think.... when you say EQ, what should I look at in a unit or do you know of one? Im trying some new speakers this weekend so ill measure them too and see what occurs... I guess there shouldnt be a difference right a different set of speakers right?

I wish I could just fill in some of the nulls. I COULD do the ceiling... but its troublesome... would there be alot of merit there for the nulls at 120hz and around 180hz? Im assuming a ceiling cloud wouldnt do alot for the 60hz null.

In terms of improvement the bass sounds nicer, tighter and but with todays changes, less deep. I think the deeper sound was when the speakers were nearlly against the glass, perhaps it was unnaturally full/deep

John, you're room is alot friendly then mine but I know the pain :) Im still on the hunt for a place with a better room....

It might be worth making a playlist of songs of some variety that you are very familiar with and listen to that a few times with the speakers/treatments in each new location.

I am thinking of moving my speakers a lot closer to the wall for similar bass reasons. I am reasonably familiar with how they sound in their current location

cutting all of that absorbing material must have been a real pain but it looks great!

It might be worth making a playlist of songs of some variety that you are very familiar with and listen to that a few times with the speakers/treatments in each new location.

I am thinking of moving my speakers a lot closer to the wall for similar bass reasons. I am reasonably familiar with how they sound in their current location

cutting all of that absorbing material must have been a real pain but it looks great!

Ive got that sorted :)

It was a MEGA pain in the ****. Absorb XHD cuts poorly with a table circular saw... took us about 2hrs to cut it all up

Ive got that sorted :)

It was a MEGA pain in the ****. Absorb XHD cuts poorly with a table circular saw... took us about 2hrs to cut it all up

I used a big bread knife and my arm was pretty sore after only making four cuts. It is difficult to cut manually.

The stuff works a treat though and it is great value. Highly recommend.