How "BIG" the difference between a modded and unmodded Marantz 63 cdp

unless u are set on a Marantz, with ur intended budget, u can get a decent resale NAD or Rotel cdp, for eg. a yr ago, i bought a new Marantz CD5400 with intention to get a full mod for an addition $4xx, but upon hearing the modded version, i did not find the sound i was looking for, so up to now i m using the virgin version which overtime it runs in very nicely, warm n sweet but slightly laid back compared to NAD.

but again, its good for u to hear both mod and unmod version to decide. 

reason why i mentioned NAD and Rotel becos i find them great partners with tube amps,  ;)

Hi

Its better that you have a listen to both modded and unmodded version. I've both Marantz CD-63 (mod and unmod). Did a 1 to 1 comparison the difference wasn't  what I expected. Anyway its still a good CDP :)

Luckily i didn't mod my cd63, but went for the mod cd67 instead. To me, the diff between the cd63 & mod cd67 is like sound to music....  :)

I'm still happy with my unmod 63KI MkII & may consider just to upgrade the clock & power supply at later date.

There is definitely a difference in detail & more focus after the mod of my Arcam 9 by EAD a year ago.

I consider it's worth the investment after you feel tired of your existing unit and would like to go for a change.

Regards