$500 to the first person who can hear the difference between FLAC/ALAC and WAV

As per the thread title. I do not know/trust the setup of macs well enough to believe it is set up correctly (bit perfect) and I do not trust anybody here to be able to blind test properly, so....

Requirements:

- A correctly set up (ASIO/bit perfect) windows machine with Foobar's ABX

- The lossless file needs to come directly from the wav file (not a separate rip)

- The files will not be altered to be unique (audible cue or otherwise)

- ABX must be done on at least four unique tracks (from different artists)

- At least five unique different ABX's must be done on each track with no less than 20 second listening blocks on each track

- From these three ABX's, you must come up with a probability of =<10% that you were guessing.

I require screenshot evidence of the first three points, and video evidence of the last three points. You can use a screen recording program (eg. http://camstudio.org/) for this.

I doubt anybody will do this, or if they do post the results of their findings, but I will stay true to my word and part with my hard earned money if somebody amazes me.

Enjoy.

Also, you must be an Australian resident.

New: Deadline end of July 2012.

Edited by Adam
  • Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What have I done!? I make a brief post about ALAC now being open source and a few days later we have this...

You all need to grab an iPod (full of MP3s!) and a set of Alessandro MS-1s and sit in the sun for a while and chill out :P

Have you got a permit to operate this game of chance/lottery?

I can never make anything from it, and the way many people here talk about it's a 100% chance of them making $100.

This is as black and white as audio gets.

i reckon I can crack it on my gear

but I cant be bothered for $100

make it a grand and your on

all proceeds to World Vision

Good excuse, but I don't have that sort of money.

How about I give the $100 to world vision instead - would you do it selflessly or not?

Good excuse, but I don't have that sort of money.

How about I give the $100 to world vision instead - would you do it selflessly or not?

+1 Yep nothing more than an excuse.

Anyway might as well up the ante. I'll hereby add another $100 to the total winnings.

I'm not sure what you wrote, but I don't think I'm being unreasonable or rude.

I can't possibly gain anything from this.

I think it's entirely reasonable to ask somebody to put 5 minutes worth of work in confirm the opinions of many here (even if there was no reward for it).

Roll up, roll up....

AIM: raise thousand dollars for World Vision

Sponsor me to try and prove its possible for a live human to hear a difference between WAV and FLAC

using Win7/Foobar/WASAPI/USB-SPDIF/DAC/speakers.

Personally I always listen to FLAC at home and doubt there can be a difference myself, but I like a challenge for a good cause eg World Vision and will have spare time in the Christmas break for such entertainment.

Indeed why dont folks form the other camp of "WAV/AIFF is better then FLAC/ALAC" sponsor the same amount - then if I cant pick a difference World Vision still wins for Christmas?

Please dont get serious about such a triviality as file formats - remember right now someone is almost certainly dying in misery from drinking contaminated water.

Please dont get serious about such a triviality as file formats - remember right now someone is almost certainly dying in misery from drinking contaminated water.

A very good point.

Is it really worth the comparison if the results will be that hard to pick. I mean if you need to listen so hard for such a small difference, surely your time would be better spent just listening to the music rather worrying about a bee's dick if any of a difference.

I'm sorry but i don't understand the point of the comparison, are you truly worried that your format is in someway inferior,?

What ever happened to simplifying ?

On a side note, if anyone wants to raise money for a charity coming up to xmas time why not just start a thread, let's pick an organisation, and we can all donate what we feel we have to spare. The donations can be made into a trusted SNA member's account so that the donation as a whole comes from streonet.

Edited by Bus_Boy

Adam, if you provided the source files as downloads then

a) folks would be more likely to do it, and

:) everyone would be comparing the same audio clips

They could say things such "the ambient bloom around the castanets is more veiled in the FLAC file" or whatever, and others would be able to listen out for the effect.

This would be an interesting exercise, but I think your money's safe :)